"NAGS" Zone

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am

Easy killer lol. Jk

I only wonder cuz i play jungle skins and safari golf quite a bit and i had noticed how easy it can be to "create" things that cater to ones strengths, obviously chuckster does this for a living and is very knowledgable and meticulous im sure when doing a project like that. In no way am i comparing me playing safari holes to chuck creating a gold level final 9 But it has its similarities and i was intrigued about any kind of process that goes into making stuff like that
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby money 21 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 pm

i really like all the discusion about course design and think this may be where the next big advances in our sport happen. I love the mutiple tee lay outs at course which as a blue level player allows me to compete more straight up with gold level players when i can. lots of courses around here have mutiple pin placements but only one tee I wish we could switch this. mutiple tees for one pin.

i think most public courses should be designed for a blue level player.

I love challegne courses it is just alot of the time play with players rated 50 points or more higher then i am and they can reach holes i can't and by putting myself in the 70-125' with either my drive or second shot i can leave my self a drop in putt and at least attemp to make there birdie putt harder.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby rehder » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:43 pm

I still think one solution to NAGS is making the putting circle smaller. By using a basket such as the bullseye from gateway would force players to land it close to the basket. Getting it to within 30-25feet would no longer give you an 'easy' putt. To get an easy putt, you would then need to get it within 15feet. Actually this would not remove NAGS zones, but it would move them in closer to the basket.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:16 pm

rehder wrote:I still think one solution to NAGS is making the putting circle smaller. By using a basket such as the bullseye from gateway would force players to land it close to the basket. Getting it to within 30-25feet would no longer give you an 'easy' putt. To get an easy putt, you would then need to get it within 15feet. Actually this would not remove NAGS zones, but it would move them in closer to the basket.
Not really trying to dismiss the idea, but there are a lot of baskets in the ground at this point. It would be cost prohibitive to retrofit every basket out there with a smaller chain assembly. For better or worse, the basket we have is the basket we have.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Wouldn't an easy solution for NAGS be to have a backstop of sorts (trees, hills, shrubs, etc) so that players can be more aggressive running it at the basket from 100-125' without having to worry about a big blow by if the green is wide open? Like I'm 125' out and my great drive has left me in position to where there is a row of cedars 30' behind the basket. Instead of taking the easy upshot and sure putt I can chance it a little by going at the basket a little harder and hoping the cedars keep me in putting range.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby rehder » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Working Stiff wrote:
rehder wrote:I still think one solution to NAGS is making the putting circle smaller. By using a basket such as the bullseye from gateway would force players to land it close to the basket. Getting it to within 30-25feet would no longer give you an 'easy' putt. To get an easy putt, you would then need to get it within 15feet. Actually this would not remove NAGS zones, but it would move them in closer to the basket.
Not really trying to dismiss the idea, but there are a lot of baskets in the ground at this point. It would be cost prohibitive to retrofit every basket out there with a smaller chain assembly. For better or worse, the basket we have is the basket we have.

Well..theres a couple of things to this. First of all, its more of a thought experiment to begin with, since I dont believe this idea has a whole lot of support.

But if we say that we wanted to do this, there are several options to make this feasible.
One scenario could be that these baskets would be used for the big tournaments to start off with. To create bigger seperation amongst the pros. Slowly you would use these baskets when installing new courses or replacing old ones.

And you could probably remove the outer set of chains and put them in together with the inner ring of chains. So the basket still catches decently.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Rather than go thru the hassle and expense to replace chain assemblies for smaller baskets, it would be much easier to simply require that pros use a large diameter disc at least Zephyr size for putting once you get inside 10m or maybe 15m. That change could occur as soon as the PDGA says the word. Only pros would have this larger putter requirement. It would be a legitimate way to differentiate between pro and am competition besides money/merch.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Rather than go thru the hassle and expense to replace chain assemblies for smaller baskets, it would be much easier to simply require that pros use a large diameter disc at least Zephyr size for putting once you get inside 10m or maybe 15m. That change could occur as soon as the PDGA says the word. Only pros would have this larger putter requirement. It would be a legitimate way to differentiate between pro and am competition besides money/merch.
OK, I admit I'm stupid. What exactly would this accomplish?
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:34 pm

It would make putting tougher in the same way a smaller target would do it. Putting needs to be about a half shot tougher at the pro level so par is closer to the ball golf ideal of "shots to the green plus 2." The additional bonus is that it could only be done for pros since putting isn't particularly easy for ams. And no equipment would need to be replaced.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm not crazy about that idea. Seems like a cop out.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Yep, large diameter discs stick considerably worse than small diameter discs. If you want to be a real bastard you could force everyone to use something Zephyr diameter with a max weight of 120-130g. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:30 pm

It's only bastardly in relation to how easy putting is currently. But if it started that way... wait it did... then it wouldn't seem that way. Imagine if golf balls had been smaller than they are now for many years and then they decided to increase the diameter to the current bastardly size...

A recent sports example where this did happen is table tennis. The official diameter of the ball was increased to slow it down and players have adjusted accordingly.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pwingles » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:09 pm

people still use ping pong tables for ping pong ? i mean, besides asians?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby zj1002 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:34 pm

I wouldn't do PDGA events if I was forced to use a certain size disc on a certain shot
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:It's only bastardly in relation to how easy putting is currently. But if it started that way... wait it did... then it wouldn't seem that way. Imagine if golf balls had been smaller than they are now for many years and then they decided to increase the diameter to the current bastardly size...

A recent sports example where this did happen is table tennis. The official diameter of the ball was increased to slow it down and players have adjusted accordingly.
R&A rules used to allow the so-called British ball, which could be less than 1.62" in diameter. Nowadays the minimum is 1.68".
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion