"NAGS" Zone

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:08 pm

What I'm saying is putting in ball golf sucks and I hope we don't turn disc golf putting into it or some weird gimmicky version of actual putting.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Fritz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:What I'm saying is putting in ball golf sucks and I hope we don't turn disc golf putting into it or some weird gimmicky version of actual putting.


I agree. I was a scratch golfer for many years before I switched to disc golf. I think we keep reverting and trying to piggy back on ball golf to much. There are far better ways to make disc golf more challenging then messing with the disc that is needed to putt with. There are so many other factors involved in putting, I think it's fine how it is.

A Pro putting inside 30' is equal to a Pro Ball Golfer putting inside 3' You almost never see a professional ball golfer miss a 3' putt. Ball golf deals with the way the grass is cut on the green, we deal with the direction of the wind.

I think we need to come up with ways to create "penalty traps" and I like the idea of a tree 15' from the basket. Makes you place your shot more accurately.

On a couple of our courses we have grassy areas which we have instructed the parks department to not mow. Some of the grass in those areas is 36" tall Some of it is even at the height that it can mess with your back swing and putt. Definitely makes you place your shots to not land in the "rough"

I must not travel in the proper professional circles, because I've never heard pros complain how easy it was to putt inside the 30' circle.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:35 pm

It all gets back to the complaint about how far under par the top pros are shooting. Changing the fundamental putting ratio is one of the only ways to fundamentally fix this problem on EVERY course. And no one likes the other option either (par 2s). A third option would be to only allow wooded fairways for disc golf courses where good hole designs can be done where the SSA and actual scores match the proper par on the holes. Open holes cannot be designed well without all kinds of OB hazards (ala Winthrop) and not have top players torch them. If they can't torch them, either they will be too long or the par is not set properly.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Triflusal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:It all gets back to the complaint about how far under par the top pros are shooting. Changing the fundamental putting ratio is one of the only ways to fundamentally fix this problem on EVERY course. And no one likes the other option either (par 2s). A third option would be to only allow wooded fairways for disc golf courses where good hole designs can be done where the SSA and actual scores match the proper par on the holes. Open holes cannot be designed well without all kinds of OB hazards (ala Winthrop) and not have top players torch them. If they can't torch them, either they will be too long or the par is not set properly.

you seem to really really want disc golf to be exactly like golf.
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator
User avatar
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: fighting crime
Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Kscustom » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:09 pm

This is pretty good thread. If you have played a super class tour I am not so sure about making pros use zyphers. I am not the best putter (getting better) but I hit 6-7 long putts with a zephyr. They can miss because they are so big but with practice I don't think it be a disadvantage. Also playiing am and puting in 1000 hours of practice the last year I would be discouraged if I had to learn the game all over just to make it pro. If you want to limit the top players I would say do it on the drive not on the putt. I have only played a little less than 2 years, and want to continue, in a sport growing as fast as dg why change it much when it is growing so fast? The formula works or it wouldn't be growing at the rate it is. But a true par system should be established. And hopefully any new courses going in are being well planned. I really like the articles in discgolfer keep em coming
Kscustom
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Favorite Disc: Flash

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Pwingles » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Kscustom wrote:This is pretty good thread. If you have played a super class tour I am not so sure about making pros use zyphers. I am not the best putter (getting better) but I hit 6-7 long putts with a zephyr. They can miss because they are so big but with practice I don't think it be a disadvantage. Also playiing am and puting in 1000 hours of practice the last year I would be discouraged if I had to learn the game all over just to make it pro. If you want to limit the top players I would say do it on the drive not on the putt. I have only played a little less than 2 years, and want to continue, in a sport growing as fast as dg why change it much when it is growing so fast? The formula works or it wouldn't be growing at the rate it is. But a true par system should be established. And hopefully any new courses going in are being well planned. I really like the articles in discgolfer keep em coming

Not to thread derail, but, 1000 hrs of putting only practice in a year is pretty difficult to do
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Location: Missouwi
Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:18 pm

honestly. best DGR thread in a while. good stuff. even though I don't agree with being forced to use a certain disc it is a new idea
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon
 
Posts: 3432
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby BrotherDave » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:What I'm saying is putting in ball golf sucks and I hope we don't turn disc golf putting into it or some weird gimmicky version of actual putting.

I'm with Frank here.

I would much rather have a rule where your shot before your putt has to be done with a super class disc or something rather than make people putt with certain discs.

Actually, the more I think about it, it would be kind of interesting if there was a rule where you had to throw a lid at least once every hole.
Last edited by BrotherDave on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Surrounded by Boobies.
Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm neutral on making these changes. My ideas and discussion points are purely based on some options to solve the problems that some see. Ball golf apparently never had the problem because the cup and ball size seemed to be settled pretty long ago. However, they did use half pars at one time http://www.popeofslope.com/courserating/par4.html and must have decided they weren't needed once they established distance ranges where integer par values of 3, 4, 5 and 6 were just right.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Really it's a solution to a perception problem. The perception for a lot of people is that -10 is too far under par. That perception comes from the comparison to ball golf. You either want to do something about it like large diameter putters or par 2's, or you can say "that's disc golf, get over it." Most of us are probably in the second group. Whether there is any real traction to the ideas probably depends on how many potential sponsors are in the first group.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:00 pm

That's why I'm neutral. I'm not sure it's a perceived problem that needs to be solved. Separate from this issue, I think a bigger problem is simply producing a better basket design, not necessarily smaller diameter.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Roc Lover wrote:Not to thread derail, but, 1000 hrs of putting only practice in a year is pretty difficult to do
Yep, that's about two hours and 45 minutes of putting practice every single day of the year. You're not gonna do that.

Though if you did, you'd be one hell of a putting machine after that. And probably have a sore back.

EDIT: For the heck of it, using two discs from around 25' I do about 6 putts a minute when practicing. Keep that up and it's 360 000 putts a year. Good practice. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Fritz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Roc Lover wrote:
Kscustom wrote:This is pretty good thread. If you have played a super class tour I am not so sure about making pros use zyphers. I am not the best putter (getting better) but I hit 6-7 long putts with a zephyr. They can miss because they are so big but with practice I don't think it be a disadvantage. Also playiing am and puting in 1000 hours of practice the last year I would be discouraged if I had to learn the game all over just to make it pro. If you want to limit the top players I would say do it on the drive not on the putt. I have only played a little less than 2 years, and want to continue, in a sport growing as fast as dg why change it much when it is growing so fast? The formula works or it wouldn't be growing at the rate it is. But a true par system should be established. And hopefully any new courses going in are being well planned. I really like the articles in discgolfer keep em coming

Not to thread derail, but, 1000 hrs of putting only practice in a year is pretty difficult to do


He didn't say putting, he said putting as in he is practicing a total of 1000 hours in general of disc golf :) I could see someone putting in that many hours of all around playing/practice.

Before I traveled so much, I was putting around 250 putts every night in my back yard from 3 distances, 10', 20' and 30'
I would do my normal putt 25 times, I would practice straddle putt 25 times at each distance and then I would create a down hill scenario, and a putting from the knee scenario from all 3 distances,
finishing out with 10 jump putts.
Inside 20' I was around 98%, 30' I was around 85% still room for improvement.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby uNicedmeMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:59 pm

Fritz wrote:I have used Superclass discs to putt with before, the Snap Whitler and liked it. But man was it tough to make longer putts.


Not a superclass disc, just sayin' (damn shame too).
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2585
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Charm City
Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: "NAGS" Zone

Postby Pwingles » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:56 am

I am also not a fan of par 2's or larger diameter putters. If i had to choose, par 2's would be my solution since they dont actually change anything, most birdies doesnt win, most bogeys doesnt lose, fewest strokes wins regardless of what you call them.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Location: Missouwi
Favorite Disc: Gwoove

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests