How many pros have minimalist setups?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How many pros have minimalist setups?

Postby Pwingles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm

This doesnt have to apply only to sponsored super pros, just whatever your definition of pro is

Is it even reasonable to have a minimalist bag if you are touring and playing a ton of different courses?

Do most of these guys go through the minimalist phase and move on, and trust their skill and have the confidence to not over complicate something when they have so many options disc wise?

Or do they just bag whatever discs they bag and worry less about overlap and things?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: How many pros have minimalist setups?

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Only one I can vouch for is George Smith. He carries very few discs for most of the rounds I've played with him. Last time he had Champ Vulcans, Star Eagles, E Illusions, S Demon, DX Rocs, and wizards. He's been known to carry a super puppy from time to time as well, and might carry a spirit but he never throws them in town - the holes he throws big hyzers on are all pretty short.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jsw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm sure the information isn't accurate, but a lot of the guys on the Innova site list their bags like...

Aviar/ Rocs/Teebirds/Firebird + 2 to 4 distance drivers. It isn't 3 molds but its pretty simple to me?
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Seems like most of the innova guys. The discraft line up makes you carry more molds as most of their stuff isn't as versatile.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Dig It » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 pm

I thought I read that Seppu is pretty minimalistic with his set up. I think it was in the DG Magazine.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Whiz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Check out MurderMike's "In the Bag" youtube video series. He has some good vids with a few pros describing their particular setups.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:56 am

The murdermike series is really good and it seems like a lot of them carry a few molds they really love and then 2-3 utility or specialty discs.

What is weird is you watch those in the bag series and then watch some DGM or something and you see those dudes throw like the same 5-7 discs over and over again.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jubuttib » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:53 am

Dig It wrote:I thought I read that Seppu is pretty minimalistic with his set up. I think it was in the DG Magazine.
Seppo's bag for 2011 was something like this:

2x C-line PD

2x S-line PD

2x S-line TD

1x C-line TD

1x C-line DD2

2x P-line PD2

1x C-line PD2

2x C-line MD2

1x S-line Gremlin

1x SG-line MD1

1x D-line MD1

4x D-line P2

Though he wrote that in February 2011, he changed it a bit during the season. Mainly adding the flat C-MD2's.

It think that despite FD carrying something like 40 discs with him he actually has a quite simple core in his bag. Two putters (Aviar/Rhyno), two mids (Roc/Whippet-X), three fairway drivers (Teebird/Eagle/Firebird), two distance drivers (XCal/Destroyer) and some utility discs (Proto Pro Bosses and a Sidewinder). Not that complicated, moldwise.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Return to General Discussion