Has anyone played the new course in Lompoc??

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Has anyone played the new course in Lompoc??

Postby Danforth » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:45 am

I know, I know, this isn't DGCR, but I was wondering if there's anyone else here who lives in or visits the Central Coast and has played the course. It's a fairly short 9 hole course (most holes 300' or less) in Beatie Park that plays over a long ditch for the first 6 holes. They're talking about adding a back 9 to it, but that might just end up being a rumor. The main challange to the course is the constant wind that Lompoc is famous for. The first 6 holes play across the wind, so you're having to deal with both strong right and left crosswinds. If you decide to check it out, get there early to avoid the wind, or if you play later, bring appropriate discs for windy days. If you see someone there on a black Honda Nighthawk, that's me. 8)
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Re: Has anyone played the new course in Lompoc??

Postby Itchy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Played it? I'm the one who went to city council meetings, Parks and Rec meetings, begged everyone on here for a month to vote for the Pepsi grant and gathered the volunteer labor to build it. Haha

If you want to find more people who play regularly, head to PJ's Deli... they know all the regulars in town.
and here's their facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/groups/271579599568039/

Yeah, I've played it. We're putting together a league to start fund raising for the back 9. On March 25th there's going to be a big fund raising tournament with a sneak peak at the back 9 using temp baskets and natural tees.

I always feel like I'm defending the course when I say this but... Parks and Re wanted a rec friendly front 9, that's why the holes are so short. It's Lompoc's first disc golf course and they didn't want to scare anybody off. I was told to go nuts on the back 9 though, and this is currently my personal thinking.

It would put our 18 holes at 5,336’ (respectably for 18 holes). I feel the front 9 is very rec friendly and has 3 easy birdies if you’re playing well. This back 9 has 3 par 3s that play like par 4s because of the terrain, evening out the course back to par. Hole 10 has a blind hill in the middle and a drop off behind the basket, that’ll hopefully add a stroke. Hole 13 has a tight low fairway with a crowded green, I expect a 4 there most of the time too. Hole 15 is very deceptive. You are throwing up the hill so your disc is going to want to stall and hyzer out (RHBH) so I normally go left of the trees and end up just the other side of the walking trail. You get a nice upshot to the basket but it’s a long one with a tunnel. I almost never get close enough for an easy putt, so there’s your third equalizer stroke. 13, 14, 15 and 17 are holes we normally played when we hauled practice baskets up there. They’re fun and have a lot of opportunity for alternate basket locations. We used to play a top of the world hole 18 going from the tee at 18 to near the tee at 15, but I want to avoid crossing fairways to increase safety, plus throwing over an OB is fun… as long as you make it over, haha. This layout is 10 holes under 300’, 6 holes 300’-400’ and 2 holes over 400’; maybe too many under 300, but still pretty balanced considering what we did with the front 9. It also has a nice variety of left, right and straight shots (fair to lefties and righties).
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby martinb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:34 pm

if your course ends up anything like the santa maria course then it will be great to play. good luck.
Play Disc Golf
martinb
Noob

Favorite Disc: putter

Postby Itchy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Waller's a huge park... they have a nice 27. We only have room to do 18. I still think in can be fun though. The front nine gives you wind, the back nine gives you nice trees and a hill. Hopefully it brings some disc golfers to town and they enjoy the course.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Return to General Discussion