Discspeed why does CDGC not respect cyclists?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discspeed why does CDGC not respect cyclists?

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:13 am

I've dealt with CW a few times and their online help was polite, knowledgable, and sent me the needles in the haystack I was looking for.

I agree with the above that was not a good response... owner's post??
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby DaPats » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:01 am

Stuff like this is so bad. No matter what the driver of that van is a jerk. I am a cyclist and a disc golfer of both for over 15yrs each. There is nothing worse than an impatient driver who pulls a move like that on the road. Slow down and let the other car go by in the other lane 1st. Instead the driver pins it and swerves like an idiot putting the cyclist and other car in the other lane in harms way. What's the rush a-hole? What you trying to prove? You are gonna hurt somebody someday and put the business in big trouble.

Ps. Clearwater, not all cyclist do what you are saying. If that is so the problem, educate your drivers to drive in a calm fashion around bikers so you won't have a problem in the future. I'll still buy plastic from you, just educate yourselves on sharing the road. You are lucky that mirror didn't clip the rider and facing a huge lawsuit.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:36 am

I feel like cyclists are a little pompous when it comes to the road. you can say you have the same rights but really you are not a car. and should not be treated the same. stay in the shoulder and off high speed/high traffic roads. theres a reason bikes arent allowed on interstates: they are not cars! i have experienced worse than what was in this video and I think the driver should have known better than to act like that afterwards. but seriously? get the f over it.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Ironhide » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:16 am

When you sum it up, both drivers AND bicyclists think they own the road. Should the driver have waited for the other car to pass? Yes. Does it happen all the time? No. At least here in MN, I don't know about other states, but when you are on a bike, you are considered on a vehicle. Since you are on a vehicle, you must follow traffic laws. When I worked for our county public works and was working on the road, we'd cone areas off, and bicyclists would think it's a 'safe spot' to bike and then they'd drive over fresh paint. Well if we caught them, we'd give them a ticket since they're operating a vehicle in a construction zone, but mainly for being an a-hole for driving through the paint making look like sh*t. One bicyclist even tried suing the county cause he ran his bike into one of our trucks in a crosswalk. But the thing is, he was ON the bike, not walking it.

So yes, the driver should have been more respectful and moved over and probably apologized when when the guy came up to him. But the guy with the camera was kind of an a-hole too. Since he was biking with his camera, it was almost set up like he wanted to catch people and have 'justice' for people that did him wrong. And then to keep at the guy waiting for some 'rage' response or something and making a bigger deal out of it than it really needs to be. EVERYONE that is on the road is in danger and EVERYONE is responsible to improve that safety.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Re: Re: Discspeed why does CDGC not respect cyclists?

Postby vtbuzzz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am

Ironhide wrote:When you sum it up, both drivers AND bicyclists think they own the road. Should the driver have waited for the other car to pass? Yes. Does it happen all the time? No. At least here in MN, I don't know about other states, but when you are on a bike, you are considered on a vehicle. Since you are on a vehicle, you must follow traffic laws. When I worked for our county public works and was working on the road, we'd cone areas off, and bicyclists would think it's a 'safe spot' to bike and then they'd drive over fresh paint. Well if we caught them, we'd give them a ticket since they're operating a vehicle in a construction zone, but mainly for being an a-hole for driving through the paint making look like sh*t. One bicyclist even tried suing the county cause he ran his bike into one of our trucks in a crosswalk. But the thing is, he was ON the bike, not walking it.

So yes, the driver should have been more respectful and moved over and probably apologized when when the guy came up to him. But the guy with the camera was kind of an a-hole too. Since he was biking with his camera, it was almost set up like he wanted to catch people and have 'justice' for people that did him wrong. And then to keep at the guy waiting for some 'rage' response or something and making a bigger deal out of it than it really needs to be. EVERYONE that is on the road is in danger and EVERYONE is responsible to improve that safety.

Ironhide you are absolutely right...I have on a number of occasion almost hit bikers who run through stop signs.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Pwingles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 am

Ok, people, your personal experiences with cyclists that werent this cyclist are not the same thing.

Saying "oh yeah the driver wasnt in the wrong cuz one time a cyclist ran a stop sign and i almost hit him, all cyclists dont respect traffic laws and so by extension this guy must not have"

Seriously, stfu, those comments have nothing to do with this very specific incident.
Why are people making blanket statements based off of a couple negative experiences with other people about this thing?
Makes no sense
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:58 am

maybe because the way cyclists have responded. as if they are innocent in all this.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby mrlaroo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Bingo wrote:
Roc Lover wrote:I didnt see the statement made by cdg can anyone post it for me?

Thier statement was:

Clearwater Disc Golf Store wrote: "It seems around here we have a lot of aggressive bicyclists with helmet cams that go out and try to antagonize drivers. We talked to the police about it and it seems its an ongoing issue. Too bad they want to take it out on a struggling mom-n-pop local business.

If you have an issue take it to the local police. Don`t slander hard working people on a public forum. I promise I won`t try to move my bike in front of your car and film it and blame it on you.

I have a teenager who rides his bike around here too, all the time. 3 feet is the rule and everyone I know tries there best to abide by it.

Now if you want to hate on us there isn`t much we can do about it.

I think that response really did nothing but add a large dose of gasoline to an already spreading fire. Unfortunate, really and that was the straw for me that made me lose what little respect I had for them.

Ouch that was their statement, what a-holes. That driver of the van was a complete reckless driver putting that biker in harms way and they come back with a response it was his fault. lol "Too bad they want to take it out on a struggling mom-n-pop local business", I am pretty sure they are taking out themselves on this one. I dislike companys that make you not want to support them.
Thanks for posting that!
mrlaroo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Beast

Postby Leopard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:30 pm

maybe because the way ___________ have responded. as if they are innocent in all this.

the words that go in the blank are DEFINITELY "cyclist bike riders".
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby veganray » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:36 pm

This thread makes me hate cyclists AND disc golfers

and internet users.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby jnecessary » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:53 pm

veganray wrote:This thread makes me hate cyclists AND disc golfers

and internet users.

I'm all three and hate myself after reading this. On the cycling side of the fence, a lot of them wear cameras because of this sort of crap. If the biker were left laying in a ditch with both legs broken there is a good enough change the driver just keeps on going and he is left with nothing but a wrecked bike and life. With a camera someone can be held accountable.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Leopard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm

i hope that, as disc golfers, you've been annoyed with yourselves for a long time.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Bingo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 pm

The one thing I want to add...

I've spoken with the cyclist in the video and poked around some as well. He has a cycling blog and posts a fair amount of videos and pictures from all his trips.

So I feel pretty comfortable saying that this was NOT a setup sort of deal. A lot of people have wondered that and I did as well. If maybe he kept a helmet cam just to catch people so he could use that as a springboard for making a statement out of it. I don't think so. Certainly I'm sure it's come in handy as others have also suggested. That it's great to have if something DOES happen but I think the main focus is just to catch something that would be worth putting on a blog - be that a cool sighting, some interesting bit of trail or yes in this case something bad happening.
Bingo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder Driver

Postby Nick M » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:Blah, I'd have told that guy (cyclist) to just fuck off instantly, find a road with a bike lane or live with the risk of death

You are naive and completely off base here. It is legal to bike on roads that are not freeways, the law says that drivers must share the road with bicycles. No cyclist is trying to swerve in front of cars. There are not paths and trails everywhere that go where you need them to go. Some people commute by bike, trails and paths are not always an option. Commuters generally don't have cars and the bike is there only source of commuting, more power to these people. In Minneapolis a large part of the population commutes by bicycle and drivers here are learning to tolerate it, I like to think people here are smarter and more progressive then other parts of the country. Drivers need to chill out and respect cyclists, they only hold up drivers for a very short time before being passed. The guy in the Van was being a total dick for no good reason. Just think if you were just trying to bike to work and some asshole was trying to run you off the road.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:27 am

Nick M wrote:I like to think people here are smarter and more progressive then other parts of the country.

:lol: I think that by even responding to my post you may have proven yourself wrong here.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion