Where does J-Bird hang out?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Where does J-Bird hang out?

Postby Flipflat » Fri May 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Went up to the Lansing area today and hit Grand Woods and Fitzgerald. Bought a sweet J-Bird stamp glow buzzz off an older dude at Woods, he had a ton of discs for sale in the parking lot, and a lot with J-Bird dyes and stamps. Wasn't till later that I learned that he might actually live in the area, kind of curious if we met him.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: Where does J-Bird hang out?

Postby Disc Golf Live » Sat May 26, 2012 7:24 am

There are a few guys around the area who would fit your general description and location. J-bird is elfin. Gone to seed, but elfin. About one Houck tall. Jay lives north of Lansing so being at GW or Fitz wouldn't be unheard of, but I don't think of him as a trunk-sales kind of guy.
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby Flipflat » Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 am

probably could have added a description- about 5'8"- 5'10", skinny, goatee and glasses, really tan. He was a little grumpy untill he found out we were from out of town, then got a little friendlier, we ended up talking to him a little longer about various courses around the state.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon May 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Flipflat wrote:Went up to the Lansing area today and hit Grand Woods and Fitzgerald. Bought a sweet J-Bird stamp glow buzzz off an older dude at Woods, he had a ton of discs for sale in the parking lot, and a lot with J-Bird dyes and stamps. Wasn't till later that I learned that he might actually live in the area, kind of curious if we met him.

As a proud and long time member of Team J-Bird I am happy to answer this question.

First the guy who you bought the J-Bird disc from was DJ (Darrell Jones), a J-Bird friend, associate and disc peddler.

J-Bird Acres is roughly a half hour north of Lansing, Michigan and site of a superb private course and the J-Bird Disc Dying production site. J-Bird is the principal disc dyer for both Innova and Discraft, so if you have ever seen a dyed disc the odds are it came from J-Bird. (The rare, limited edition or personalized dyes are not usually J-Birds. So if your dyed disc has the logo of a rock band or disc golf club then it probably was not done by J-Bird).

At one time J-Bird was a fine Pro player and frequent Tournament Director. He doesn't play much anymore but is still a great course designer and world class putter. J-Bird is also a cranky old man and not to be trusted with underage females or small mammals .
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to General Discussion