Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:37 am

rusch_bag wrote:I didn't want to make a new thread on this and it sort of fits in anyway, but I went and watched a tournament yesterday since I haven't played in like a month and the guy that won is a right handed person that drives lefty and putts righty. He drives lefty because it is a more natural motion for his body from previous sports experience like swinging a bat. Does anyone else do this? The guy can throw 500 feet so this isn't just some weird gimmick.

Sure lots of players are ambidextrous, or in the case of the guy mentioned above and others like him, AMBI-QUIRKY.

I have a friend who drives lefty backhand but does everything else (putts, forehands, overheads) righty and does it all well. I played with a guy yesterday who is righty for all shots except one trick shot, a lefty forehand upshot (which btw the is much better than his righty forehand upshot).

Because left handed people grow up in a right handed world, many of them learn particular tasks with their right arms. Then are some people who get the whole right brain-left brain stuff confused. Most of us not only have a dominant hand but also a dominant foot and a dominant eye and the interaction of those tendencies with particular tasks leads to ambi-quirkiness.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 am

rusch_bag wrote:I didn't want to make a new thread on this and it sort of fits in anyway, but I went and watched a tournament yesterday since I haven't played in like a month and the guy that won is a right handed person that drives lefty and putts righty. He drives lefty because it is a more natural motion for his body from previous sports experience like swinging a bat. Does anyone else do this? The guy can throw 500 feet so this isn't just some weird gimmick.

A couple times in the lessons/clinics I teach I have had baseball players. I have had them lineup lefty, even though they were RHBH, in order to show them how their batting swing relates to the disc golf throw. Its a useful tool to help relate folks with baseball backgrounds. Most of them dont realize the same motions are so similar
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JimW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I have, as long as I can remember, thrown frisbees LHBH despite being right-handed and when I took up disc golf that stayed the same of course. I also putt left-handed but can only throw forehand and overhand right-handed. I turbo-putt better right-handed but could do it lefty if absolutely necessary.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:28 am

JimW wrote:I have, as long as I can remember, thrown frisbees LHBH despite being right-handed and when I took up disc golf that stayed the same of course. I also putt left-handed but can only throw forehand and overhand right-handed. I turbo-putt better right-handed but could do it lefty if absolutely necessary.

I know a guy in Watsonville who is exactly the same.

I used to have a mean baseball swing, this is making me think I really should learn to throw LHBH. I threw a few discs this way just the other day, and after 4-5 I began to get some pop on my under-stable mid-range disc and getting it to flatten out. I broke the 100' barrier. :lol:
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby stevenw131 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:18 am

the only thing that makes someone good at disc golf is how well they can throw/use the discs. i would not consider myself ATHLETIC at all!!!!! i am probably considered over weight to most people and i can beat all of my friends in disc golf. the level of athleticism DOES NOT matter when it comes to disc golf (to me!)
stevenw131
Noob

Favorite Disc: pro-d soft magnet

Postby Timko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am

Mark Ellis wrote:

Sure lots of players are ambidextrous, or in the case of the guy mentioned above and others like him, AMBI-QUIRKY.

I have a friend who drives lefty backhand but does everything else (putts, forehands, overheads) righty and does it all well. I played with a guy yesterday who is righty for all shots except one trick shot, a lefty forehand upshot (which btw the is much better than his righty forehand upshot).

Because left handed people grow up in a right handed world, many of them learn particular tasks with their right arms. Then are some people who get the whole right brain-left brain stuff confused. Most of us not only have a dominant hand but also a dominant foot and a dominant eye and the interaction of those tendencies with particular tasks leads to ambi-quirkiness.

I do this. I'm a lefty that throws side arm left handed and back hand right handed because it's the same motion I learned for swinging a baseball bat. I also know a guy who throws lefty that does the opposite (RHFH LHBH). I played with a guy last night who throws righty but putts lefty, and another one who's like me and throws righty even though he's a lefty. So we're out there.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:33 pm

stevenw131 wrote:the only thing that makes someone good at disc golf is how well they can throw/use the discs. i would not consider myself ATHLETIC at all!!!!! i am probably considered over weight to most people and i can beat all of my friends in disc golf. the level of athleticism DOES NOT matter when it comes to disc golf (to me!)
I know a lot of overweight people who could also beat their friends in a lot of sports. Being overweight doesn't mean one can't be athletic either, a lot of shot putters, hammer throwers, heck even quite a few javelin throwers would easily be considered overweight, not to mention a heck of a lot of handegg players, weightlifters, etc. =)

On the professional level the game does definitely demand some level of athletic aptitude, no question about it. That level will only rise as more and more people get into the game.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:30 am

stevenw131 wrote:the only thing that makes someone good at disc golf is how well they can throw/use the discs. i would not consider myself ATHLETIC at all!!!!! i am probably considered over weight to most people and i can beat all of my friends in disc golf. the level of athleticism DOES NOT matter when it comes to disc golf (to me!)

Those statements are not true when one starts to push the boundaries. Even 400' tosses at sea level need more physical condition than 350' which can in some cases be achieved immediately by a 300' thrower improving one aspect of throwing form to a more athletic version provided they have enough power. Grip strength especially in the pinch being the most obvious limiting factor for a 300' thrower making the jump to 350'. There are other limitations as well.

Disc golf is great in that it can be enjoyed by no condition at all people to Olympic gold winners from any other sport. The better you throw the more fun you have and obviously in the long term athletic persons don't encounter limits to their growth as throwers. It's not even about distance it is about repeatable control to a decent distance much of the time until you open Källström/Jenkins/Shusterick et al type of options of throwing over everything. Then we are certainly talking about very taxing physical exertion indeed well beyond the possibilities of hobby athletes. That is certainly a top level am in big money sports that can reach top level pro performance like that. Meaning semi pro options are open right away. An example: Olympic bronze medalist swimmer Antti Kasvio played water polo after his swimming career and although he did not know tactics or could throw worth shit his team won all the time much more than previously because there was a torpedo in the pool scooting past and swimming rings around the players of the other team creating havoc for their defense and other tactical considerations. At least at first Antti did not make many (any?) goals and yet his presence was shattering to the opposition. A clear case speaking volumes about the usefulness of superior physical condition. Of an athlete past his prime in his Olympic event. Imagine the added chaos of having him in his top form in the pool when his team was superior already with him cooling off his career.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Ryan C » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:37 pm

In baseball I like to bat left handed, but nothing else in the entire world feels natural doing it the left handed way.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:41 pm

jubuttib wrote:...Being overweight doesn't mean one can't be athletic either, a lot of shot putters, hammer throwers, heck even quite a few javelin throwers would easily be considered overweight, not to mention a heck of a lot of handegg players, weightlifters, etc. =) ...

No doubt. I remember when Eric Gagne got really fat while playing with the Dodgers (this pic wasn't taken at max weight)...

I went to quite a few Dodgers games back then, while living in LA. The fat man would come waddling out of the bull pen and the opposing team knew the game was as good as over. The guy would get up to the mound, throw nine 100+MPH strikes and go home.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Yeah that lasted for like one year for Gagne.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JHern » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Yeah that lasted for like one year for Gagne.

Yeah, the Dodgers used him up...nobody back then thought that he would have a long career throwing that hard.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Lots of dudes can throw hard and have a long career.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Star Shark » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 pm

It's cuz he's off the roids. He was on the big list of players who tested positive that was never supposed to be released.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby garublador » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 am

It seems like for disc golf the only real "athleticism" that's absolutely required is coordination (though that's probably true for all sports) and endurance. It doesn't matter how good you are if you get too tired to keep it up after a single round you probably won't be a top disc golfer. Stuff like strength and flexibility will be a benefit, so the more popular the sport becomes, the more top players with those attributes you'll see. Things like reaction time won't matter nearly as much as they do in sports like basketball, football or soccer.

Has anyone else watched "Dhani Tackles the Globe?" It's a show where Dhani Jones (NFL linebacker) travels to different countries, learns to play, and competes in a local sport. The sport thing is just a gimmick and it's really about the places he travels to and the people and culture there, but it's fun to watch someone who's that athletic try different sports.
garublador
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion