Howdy, New player questions

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Howdy, New player questions

Postby amphoterik » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Hello everyone, I played my 2nd game of disc golf today and had a lot of fun. I have a few questions for you (if this is not the right place to post, I apologize), but first a little information about me:

I am a RHBH thrower. Due to tendonitis in my right arm, I cannot throw overhand or FH. When I throw (not surprise as my technique is terrible right now) my discs don't go far and they veer very hard left (hyzer?). I did some research and planned out the discraft discs I was going to buy today. I went to my local shop to discover that they only carried innova. As I didn't have any research ready, I bought things based on what I could figure out. The discs I got were (all weights guessed based on marking):
-Star Aviar put and approach (172g)
-Star Kite (175g)
-Pro Vulcan (175g)
-Champion Mamba (175g)

Now for my questions:

1) Will the discs I bought suffice for a new player, or did I do myself a disservice by buying them? If there are better discs to buy for my skill level, please let me know. I am not worried about money (to an extent) and I can buy new discs online for better selection.

2) Should I learn to throw left handed? I figure since I don't have any technique yet, I can learn left handed to avoid any limitations of my right shoulder. Should I do that or will RHBH suffice for all shots?

Thanks!
amphoterik
Noob

Re: Howdy, New player questions

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:05 pm

You should totally learn to throw with both hands, I am always jealous of guys who can do that.

Anyway the vulcan and mamba are pretty fast and you should pick up something speed wise between those and the kite like a leopard or cheetah. You might also find the mamba and vulcan are too fast and nose-angle sensitive for you to control properly right now with your lower skill level so you might need to bench those for a while.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby amphoterik » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:36 pm

I was thinking that. I may go tomorrow and buy a Buzz and a slower driver. Would you recommend a cheetah, archangel, or leopard?
amphoterik
Noob

Postby JTdisc » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 am

Give LH a try, it would be a great addition to your game if you could pull it off.

Innova's disc descriptions are quite poor when it comes to beginners. Everything understable is labeled a beginner disc, regardless of speed.

Put the Vulcan away for a long time. At speed 13 that's going to be way too fast. Likewise the Mamba.

Your putter is fine and the Kite should make a good first driver, it's almost a crossover between mid and fairway driver.

For other Innova discs, think about a DX Roc or DX Shark for a stable midrange and a Pro Leopard for a main driver. The lower the speed the better for starting out. After that I'd get an Eagle for a stable driver. Again, stick to low speeds.

For Discraft discs, you can't go wrong with a Buzzz . I would avoid pro-D plastics for anything but putters as they seem a bit fragile in my experience. For drivers a Cyclone or Stalker might work, but will require a bit more power. I haven't found anything Discraft that quite compares to the Leopard.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Saint

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:57 pm

If you have the money get a leo and a gazelle. the gazelle is the leo's more stable brother and they pair well together.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Return to General Discussion