distance driving...???

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

distance driving...???

Postby pask2155 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:19 pm

I noticed when I watch videos of guys throwing for distance such as the Distance with Dion video on YouTube that all his discs go out anhyzer. Also there is another distance discraft video with the top 5 pros throwing bombs... And they too throw anyhyzer shots for max d.

So my first question is are they hyzer flipping, releasing flat and the disc and they have so much power on them that they turn that hard? Or are they releasing anhyzer and just letting the disc run it's course?

My next question is... I currently can max out at 400-410 but am consistently averaging 350'. But I'm just throwing straight shots using the nuke or destroyer... Where the disc goes pretty straight and then fades out at the end. So here's my question, if these guys are throwing 500'+ anhyzer shots how far would they throw just straight golf shots?

Just wondering because I love distance driving and just letting them rip, but wondering if I am missing something and should be letting them fly anhyzer or are they that strong/fast that they release flat and just from the sheer power the HSS turns the discs anhyzer...

here are the you tube clips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMC6OYzb3oY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: distance driving...???

Postby JR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:46 am

Annies were distance records in 2000 the last time IIRC. Could have been earlier. It depends on the disc what happens to distance when the disc is annied or hyzer flipped. Hyzer flips can be from hyzer to flat or hyzer to annies. Robbie Bratten threw Predators that would go seriously shorter if they were released flat.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:29 am

the two biggest keys to mega distance driving are height (you have to throw the disc something like 60 ft in the air) and a strong tailwind coming from over your left shoulder (assuming RHBH). All these shots use a big flex in the flight path. these types of shots are generally unpractical on the course.

Look for videos of a guy named Katzch (something like that). He was a hot topic on DGCR for a while. He figured out the huge flex line on his own and developed a 600-700 ft throw. He also plays semi-pro football so he has some extra innate athletic qualities that most of us do not (purportedly).

don't get too caught up with distance. work on putting and accuracy.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Kahctz i believe. There are numerous slo mo vids and regular speed ones of players that have thrown over 200 meters. IIRC training for Big D 9 with Sandström and Jenkins filmed the throw not the flight of over 200 meters.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:29 pm

By flex shots im guessing you mean giant s curves? Because I just looked up a bunch of videos with these guys and big distance still all looks like they release flat or anny and they have huge Anne's and then cut back?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Here's some Big D shots. Mostly anny but you'll note GG in yellow hyzerflipping.

-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby pask2155 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Yeah that's crazy. My max d is just ripping releases hyzer flip or flat and they go out right a bit and then come back and I'm averaging 350 maxing at 410'.

I'm gonna have to start trying to throw these big annys and see what Happens. Does shooting this way have any technique?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Everything has a technique. And there are variations. Because accuracy and consistency need to suffer it is a strategy decision how far you'll compromise those two in favor of distance in the optimal shot. Be it a golf shot or a distance competition. There are many different techniques. Some throw 360s some run in a curve and some round the initial part of the shot and pull in a straight line from when the disc comes to the left side. For annies the body should lean to the right see my signature. The arm goes low to above the face and drops down again in the follow through. You need to grip extra hard with annies to avoid them slipping out.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Star Shark wrote:Here's some Big D shots. Mostly anny but you'll note GG in yellow hyzerflipping.

What disc is GG using to hyzer flip a disc on that line?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I've seen him throw 150g dx teerex 600ft+

I think he also threw destroyers
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby twmccoy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:40 am

The key is to put the right amount of flip on your drive. Too much and the disc will just keep going right and burn into the ground. I've found that the best drivers for anny flex shots are ones that have a little high speed fade, good glide and some low speed fade. Height is important, but too much and the disc will stall and fade out.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to General Discussion