INNOVA RATINGS BEST SPEED RATINGS FOR A NEWBIE

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

INNOVA RATINGS BEST SPEED RATINGS FOR A NEWBIE

Postby Ryen91 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Im Ryen New to the Forums but Im a Pretty Solid DG golfer I made my own technique which is good for 280-320 which I know is not the 400' the pros but I have trouble with the back hand and I think the main problem is I have a Teerex which is a 0 turn on the scale which cause alot of hyzer and Im not the best straight out the hand thrower either...but On my Unique throw Let me tell you what I Do real quick I call it the Ryen Fist HAHA which is basically a reverse flick technique, no It is not a Thumber.... Basically I do put my thumb on the bottom with a firm grip on with four fingers on the the disc... The Disc is not upside down it is right side up and I throw it like a flick I use a litte anhyzer releas and it lead to a very consistent shot for me..... Any Back to my question

What is a good speed rating for me im 24 very athletic played everything from baseball to basketball soccer etc.. Im trying to improve my backhand and think the vulcan and miamba would be best with a -4 -5 rating respectively... but Pretend Im really athletic total newb since my backhand is just that is the speed rating to high should I go lower with that much of a turn rating or do you think it will be ok to stay at higher speed with high turn rating to get to turn flat and then of course a little fade at the end like most discs, and If I got to a lower speed like a 8 or 9 should I still go with a high negative turn ratings since my shots hyzer from the Beginning and I can seem to release the disc straight.

thx guys for helping a newb I really appreciate it

Ryen
Last edited by Ryen91 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryen91
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tee Rex

Re: INNOVA RATINGS BEST SPEED RATINGS FOR A NEWBIE

Postby victorb » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:14 am

Hi and welcome. If your grip is as poor as backhand thumb under the disc and it feels like that without throwing i'd switch to a regular grip first and see how the discs you have fly then. There are reasons why normal grips are most used. Like they work. Your grip has very limited tendon mobility which limits the power you can generate.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Ryen91 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 am

i throw the backhand normally that is my flick throw I throw like that that throw is perfectly fine and very accurate my bachand throw Is a normal grip it hyzers way waay more than a normal one which is why I was thinking to use one with a negative turn like -4 or -5 but the speed rating in innova should I go down to a 8 or 9 for a beginner backhand or should I just stick with a 12 or 13 speed and just get a -4 or -5 turn all my driving disc or 0 or at most -1 and I can't fly them straight on a back hand I have an extreme proplem for some reason releasing anhyzer with the nose down so Im thinking a -4 or -5 turn would fix it but that is only if you throw it at the correct speed which so should I go down to a 10 or 9 or stick with the the 12 or 13 get a lighte one like a 155 160 and I should be good with a negate 6 all my drivers are heavy to from 172 to 174
Ryen91
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 am

You are correct in that speed does play a role in a backhand throw hyzering out too early from a flat flight. However; the largest determining factor is actually the fade. A disc that fades late and little flies farther than an equally fast and gliding disc does simply because the little fading disc remains horizontal maximizing glide fighting gravity longer. So the flight time is longer which automatically increases distance. You're right about mentioning weights and for sure lighter discs are easier to get farther. At 300' Discraft Z Stalker fades the least out of tweeners. That is discs that are in between mids and fairway drivers. Out of fairway drivers Innova Leopard has the least fade. For distance some speed and glide is mandatory and all current designs fade more than the Leopard. Latitude 64 River gold line has a pretty small fade and power requirement with a great glide. Innova Sidewinder was crap for years but they got better last year at least in Star plastic. It is still a touchy disc and as the name suggests it is made to flip so you could very well like it. Innova Beast doesn't flip but fades the least out of discs that are faster than the Sidewinder. If the Sidewinder flips too much and the Beast fades too much an in between disc is Roadrunner another roller.

Going light with faster discs than the Beast can help too but finding a good mold at the proper weight is difficult because currently Blizzard discs are very inconsistent. Knowing how to tune a disc could seriously help in getting a light disc to work properly for you. If you go that way a 130s Millennium Zero G Quasar could work. If it fades out too much then a 130s Wraith might be ok. Mine was flippy as hell. Before trying a Katana i'd pick one or the other out of those to get bearings on how that works for you and what you need if they don't work well enough for you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Ryen91 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 am

all that is really good information I just wish the was a disc golf driving range so I could try out these discs to figure out which discs would work best for me instead of buying and then being disappointed I Bought the teerex just for the plain face I had just started playing and It held the current world record of longest distance drive so I was like thats the one for me....Now that I am seasoned and played for some time I realize how horrible of decision that was for me

also I have not gone with a blizzard plastic yet... I have been sticking with start and think if I dropped to a one 155 gram or 150 gram it would be sufficient cause my wraith DX and my TEEREX STAR are all about 172 grams.... So dropping 20 grams I think will help I have the leopard fairway driver already and the wolf mid and then I use the discraft soft magnet putter I have always liked extreme flimsy softness of it and it seems to always stick well for me... I know it is a preference and not a fact though and Im not the one to give pointers.

Does the blizzard plastic really fly 20 grams heavier than what it is cause that would be amazing for wind conditions having a 160 gram and it flies into a headwind like a 180 gram meaning it doesn't change flight and a 180 gram would fly like a 200 gram which would super good for head winds.....I dont know I just been liking Star allot... I only like the DX plastics because they all have pictures of the mascot of the disc LOL I know I that is so childish
Last edited by Ryen91 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryen91
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm

TeeRex is beefy and it has never held the world distance record. Are there other players around you that you could loan discs from to try them out? Only a few throws should help a lot in seeing which kind if disc it is in your hands now. The real answer is to train to become a better player. A video in the video critique section should help.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Ryen91 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:05 pm

of course training Im about to start this training program to increase my snap strength I have customily made one....It consist of using a band attaching the door and extended it to max resistance and then curling my wrist and extended in multiple times as well as wrist curls with dumbells and some other techniques If it works Like I think it will it will improve my snap power drastically in just a couple of months. drinking protein shakes and eating healthy that fuels your body for muscle rebuilding will help as well.

I think I am going to record myself on my throw then as well so people can see it and tell me how horrible my backhand is and tell me to just quit.....LOL no I actually forward for some criticism that can really bring my golf game to the next level
Ryen91
Noob

Postby Ryen91 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 pm

oh sorry but I just moved to rockwall texas and know NO discgolf players in the area
Ryen91
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 am

Muscle power is one component of snap but timing needs to be right to gain any benefits and speed of the motions is crucial so strength alone does not work. I've done everything in your program. Plus using a power ball. Have you checked discgolfcoursereview for courses around you? Chances are you'll find disc golfers at courses :-D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby inbounds » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:51 am

Ryen - Instead of trying to base it on Innova's speed ratings, why not try to throw discs that are at or under your current max distance? Try sorting our list based on distance and see if that helps you identify which discs might best fit your needs:

http://inflightguide.net

There are more companies than Innova out there and while Innova has most shots covered with all the molds they have out there, you might find something useful from another manufacturer. Best of luck!
inbounds
Noob

Postby Ryen91 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I will check that out than you for that...FOr the record I am by no means solely just using innova discs I have a soft magnet that I enjoy putting with.... The only reason I chose Innova the basis of this is that there rating system is the most detailed than any other Disc Golf company and figured it would be easier to help me out based on that knowledge... Discraft has one latitude 64 I think has some discs that I would be definitly intrested in as well as a couple other companies I just figured it would be easier to critique myself with a detailed rating system like innova
Ryen91
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:52 pm

The guy who runs this site makes one.

http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgo ... pmo7tdsn00
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Ryen91 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 pm

wow both theses charts are absolutly amazing This is going to help me so much Thank you guys so for being so helpful JR your awesome and Frank and Inbounds I couldn't be more estactic with your input cause the charts will help me alot and not make me rely just on innova ratings... I am really humbles and greatly appreciate you guys helping a noob on the forums
Ryen91
Noob

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm

I also couldn't be more ecstatic with Frank's input.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Next

Return to General Discussion