Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby bennirabba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 am

I recently discovered disc golf and I find it really interesting, though I have not tried it yet.

So before getting myself into it and gearing up I was hoping to get a discussion going on what disc golf is all about?

Thanks,
Ben.
bennirabba
Noob

Re: Newbie

Postby JR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:27 am

Hi and welcome. There are many takes on what disc golf is about. Fun, a sport, good time with friends, getting outside, living healthy, getting exercise, intellectual pursuit interspersed with the execution of your plan etc. People like flight and making something fly the way you want it to is almost spiritual. Especially if it goes faaaaar. Wow did i do that??!!!! For many gaining a new distance level is like getting a natural high for a week or a few.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Wayne Smith » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 am

Hello Everyone,

I am newbie here and i would like to share something about golf disc and how it is used to play such an interesting kind of sports. I am hoping to know more about this stuff and enjoy the same way like we all play this type of game.
Wayne Smith
Noob

Favorite Disc: Putter

Postby bennirabba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 am

JR wrote:Hi and welcome. There are many takes on what disc golf is about. Fun, a sport, good time with friends, getting outside, living healthy, getting exercise, intellectual pursuit interspersed with the execution of your plan etc. People like flight and making something fly the way you want it to is almost spiritual. Especially if it goes faaaaar. Wow did i do that??!!!! For many gaining a new distance level is like getting a natural high for a week or a few.

Thanks JR for the answer. I can see many good reasons for me to gear up and start throwing. What about the social part? Is there a sort of togetherness (for a lack of a better word) among players or is it very individual?

Thanks again,
Ben.
bennirabba
Noob

Postby Varsi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm

bennirabba wrote:
JR wrote:Hi and welcome. There are many takes on what disc golf is about. Fun, a sport, good time with friends, getting outside, living healthy, getting exercise, intellectual pursuit interspersed with the execution of your plan etc. People like flight and making something fly the way you want it to is almost spiritual. Especially if it goes faaaaar. Wow did i do that??!!!! For many gaining a new distance level is like getting a natural high for a week or a few.

Thanks JR for the answer. I can see many good reasons for me to gear up and start throwing. What about the social part? Is there a sort of togetherness (for a lack of a better word) among players or is it very individual?

Thanks again,
Ben.

Definitely a social sport. I rarely play alone. Even if I'm visiting some course at a different town I'll usually try to find some locals to play with. So far I haven't had to play long alone before finding some people to play with.

I also enjoy just watching others (preferably better than myself) play. If I can't do that live I'm other watching some youtube videos. lcgm8 for example has a lot of nice videos like European Open 2011.
Also, Disc Golf Planet has the best live commentary. Here's some from 2011 Memorial
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 pm

bennirabba wrote:I recently discovered disc golf and I find it really interesting, though I have not tried it yet.

So before getting myself into it and gearing up I was hoping to get a discussion going on what disc golf is all about?

Thanks,
Ben.

Hello and welcome new players/ potential players. I've played competitive sports my entire life from tee ball in elementary school, baseball and basketball through grade school, soccer, golf, and basketball in high school then ultimate frisbee for 20 years after college. Nowadays, I can't keep up with the fast ultimate players and ball golf costs so much. I fell in love with the flight of a frisbee long ago and disc golf and the community that plays in weekly mini leagues and numerous tournaments seem to share my enthusiasm. I have developed new friendships, lost 35 pounds over the last couple years, and found an outlet filling my need to compete. I'd still play for the comradery, the beauty in the flight of a great drive or well made putt, if nothing else.

:arrow: All you need is a putter, a course to play, or a distant tree to hit.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:58 am

bennirabba wrote:

Thanks again,
Ben.

Normally disc golfers like that new people come to play. The more the merrier is mostly the attitude. People are often helpful. Sometimes there are exceptions like good throwers training for an upcoming event. There may be some courses that are filled with players and nobody likes to wait to get to the course or wait behind slow groups but it is natural that it will happen to everyone sometimes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to General Discussion