Virtual Guides for Courses

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Virtual Guides for Courses

Postby KOPRODUC » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm trying to get the word out on a project that my friend and I have started on making Virtual Guides for courses. I love the sport, and been playing since they put in the course at Condon Park in Grass Valley, California twenty plus years ago. We came up with this idea to create virtual tours for the courses so that you can see a course before you play it . The idea went from there and we've added all the basket locations to the images and things like recommended discs and throwing lanes for each placement, and information about the course. We're in the process of finishing up an iphone app that will have GPS controls that you can use while on the course that will tell you the distance and elevation from any of the placements, and overhead mapping features. These are just some of the things that we are offering in the app. The app is also handy in that you can move from one location to the next instantaneously instead of being reliant on an internet connection. If you would like to see what the tours look like you can view the Condon course at
http://www.karmaoutlet.com/CondonDiscCourse/Kiosk.html

or the Hanging Oaks course at
http://www.karmaoutlet.com/HangingOaksD ... Kiosk.html

We are by no means expert disc golfers, in some cases practice does not make perfect! We did these courses because we've played them all of our life's and the proximity to where we live. We're starting a kickstarter project to shoot another 8 courses throughout California. We want to branch out with the tours and expand to other states and other regions once we can get everything off the ground, and if we can get people to show interest. If you have any suggestions or advice you can give us on people to contact, ways to get the word out, or ways that we can improve our tours please let us know.
KOPRODUC
Noob

Favorite Disc: Road Runner

Re: Virtual Guides for Courses

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 pm

I've actually been thinking a lot about this lately. I saw a remote control helicopter that my cousin got for his birthday a few weeks ago. It is controlled by an iPhone app and has a range of like 300 feet or something crazy. It also has an attachment for a GoPro camera and a little cage so the camera won't get messed up if the helicopter crashes or something. My local course in Charleston, SC is a great course** and I have been thinking of trying to do aerial flyby's of the holes and hopefully with a little editing I think you could map out most courses and give people a good idea of the course before they play it. You could do different lines through the trees for each hole, show trouble spots, OB, etc.. I imagine all of this with the weekend warrior disc golfer in mind. I know a lot of guys that go to tournaments and might have never seen the course they are playing on, maybe something like this could help?

The helicopter is like 600 bucks, which is a little steep, but even still...its a helicopter...and you can fly it....with your phone. WERE LIVING IN THE FUTURE!!! lol

Maybe this is already being done or something similar and I just don't know about it, but...opinions?

**Trophy Lakes is on John's Island in South Carolina. Right outside of Charleston. If you ever get the chance to play it I highly recommend it. Feldburg, Jerm and a few others have stated that it is one of the best courses in the south. Course is played around 2 lakes with lots of risk/reward. Pro shop, 3 sets of tee's, benches, disc retrieval is 3$ and they dive once/twice a month and post the lists online. Just thought I'd plug my local!
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby KOPRODUC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks for the reply! We've been thinking about doing something with a remote helicopter and mounting our go pro on it. Right now we have an overhead map feature that works pretty well (available in the app), but we are still developing things so I wouldn't be surprised if we have something like that in the future. Once we have the tours made we are hoping people can send us videos of good drives, which we could incorporate into the tours. We're designing the app with as many helpful features as possible, so features will improved and be enhanced as we go.
KOPRODUC
Noob

Postby KOPRODUC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Our project is up and going. If you want to check it out go to tinyurl.com/mwvnrbu
KOPRODUC
Noob

Postby JHern » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Those quadracopters are neat, but if you have access then you can get better results with a hand-held gimbal with extension rods...that's what the pros use for those kinds of shots.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to General Discussion