How to keep cool when it's hot

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to keep cool when it's hot

Postby luma » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:07 pm

So in the winter I asked about what you guys do when it's snowy white outside. Right now I'm asking you and myself what I am going to do at this weekend's tournament. Weather forecast predicts temperatures up to 38°C (100.4 F is what the calculator says) which means probably 110-120 F in the sun. Plus the course is 95% open field and has some serious slopes on it (from the "clubhouse" to the lowest point its around 60 m difference in height and you have to walk up/down that two times per round).

So what do you guys do when it's so hot to literally keep cool?

Unfortunately I'm staying at a hotel where I won't be able to put things in the freezer, otherwise I had used that "freeze it at night and slowly let it melt in the sun" trick to at least have something cold to drink. I will certainly have enough to drink with me plus my umbrella to always have a shadow with me. Also pretty handy is my birdie bag (luckily I got a couple of those).

Anything else you should do when it's hot...?
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Re: How to keep cool when it's hot

Postby PMantle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 pm

I have lived in La. all my life, so hot is just a way of life. I deal with it by wearing zero cotton. Jogging shirts are great. Insulated water bottle with ice. Full bath towel.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Monocacy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Dry-fit shirts, a broad-brimmed hat, and a styrofoam cooler filled with ice and lots of liquids. You can probably fill the cooler from the hotel ice machine. I played a 2-day tournament in 100-degree humidity, and went through two drinks per round - a mix of water, Gatorade, and fruit juice. Tasted nasty but kept me hydrated.

Good luck!
Tern | Jackal - Hatchet - Resistor | Truth - Theory | Clutch - Harp
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby domromer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Drink water..wear a hat, use sunblock..man up.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Stringbean » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 am

Good thread bump with the 2015 Aussie Open coming up. The high will be 99 degrees today in Perth, Australia.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Return to General Discussion