Innova's New Slogan: "We Are Disc Golf"

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova's New Slogan: "We Are Disc Golf"

Postby JHern » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 am

Can you believe the chutzpah? Wow.

And such a claim is further from the truth than it has been in decades, and they continue to lose market share and get their asses kicked by multiple competitors...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Innova's New Slogan: "We Are Disc Golf"

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Eh, it's marketing. No different than calling yourself the "Choice of Champions" or "#1 in Disc Golf." The are the big dog so they can make the big claims. What do we expect them to say about themselves? "Losing customers to the Swedes every day?"

Market share is a weird thing. Nobody really knows the market because all the companies are private and sales can be regional. So we don't really know what the market share is anyway. There are more people grabbing slices of the pie, but the pie is getting bigger. I'm sure if we could see the market share, Innova's is down from 30 years ago. I bet they make TONS more money than they did 30 years ago. I wouldn't really be to worried about Innova; they are going to be around for us to bitch about for a long, long time.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby JTdisc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

They kind of are disc golf.

They still have the biggest market penetration for newcomers.

The minority of us forum lurkers and addicts love buying smaller company discs (I luv me sum lattitude), but most casual people I know still throw Innova and Discraft.

I like a lot of their discs, it's just that the inconsistency drives me up the wall.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby Stringbean » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 pm

I find Innova to be the most consistent manufacturer, especially compared to newer, smaller companies.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JHern » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:07 am

Working Stiff wrote:Eh, it's marketing...

:lol: Fair enough.

JTdisc wrote:...They still have the biggest market penetration for newcomers...

It depends where you live, if it's a disc golf backwater then you probably only see Innova. If it is well-developed, then you have 10+ companies to choose from...

Stringbean wrote:I find Innova to be the most consistent manufacturer...

mmmhmmm...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Cryu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:43 pm

A bad slogan is what it is, I almost feel bad for throwing Innova right now.
Cryu
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Leopard

Postby DiscinFiend » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 pm

I think it's cocky on Innovas part but they still are the biggest disc golf manufacturer in the world & the biggest ever. For people who aren't "disc golf nerds" like many of use on this forum & play more casually most of them throw mostly Innova discs. I think that Innova is losing money to there competition but not as much as it may seem like to most people who play disc golf competitively. Innova still sells way more discs than most smaller companies combined.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Postby SpinachD » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am

Hey they make a lot of great discs. Their success has been all supply-side economics. They invested all the capital and took all the risks. They have led the way and deserve their business and market share.

Since they have such dominant position, they should probably focus more on promoting the game as a mainstream sport. This should include efforts to supply schools with discs and instruction. When disc golf becomes a regular school sport is when it really will take off.

Also, of course, they should work to televise high-quality examples of disc golf. I guess it doesn't fit in a format like the X-Games (it's "alternative" but not "extreme") but that is the demographic. Maybe a driving distance competition would fit.
"Canst thou give me now some wisdom;
Is this nonsense all thou knowest?"
SpinachD
Noob

Return to General Discussion