Disc Golf Driving Range

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Driving Range

Postby wrightmustangman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 pm

I am an Engineering student at University of Texas at Arlington, My senior design group has designed the first ever disc golf driving range. Not only can you practice but it will be competitive with ways to keep score and determine the distance thrown. Every disc thrown into the field will be retrieved automatically. Currently no personal disc can be used but there are plans to have many disc types to choose from. There will be several baskets located at different distances, the farther away the baskets the larger we will make them. There are a few questions i would like to ask so that we can help make a better design. Your answer are important as well as opinions.

1.) Would you like to have a driving range for Disc Golf?
2.) Have you ever heard Top Golf?
3.) Would you benefit to practice in a more technology advanced driving range similar Top Golf?
4.) Would you pay a small fee to practice at such a facility?
5.) Would down time be an issue during the game for retrieval.
6.) Would you rather pay by hour or pay per game
7.) Would you like different difficulties?
wrightmustangman
Noob

Favorite Disc: D4

Re: Disc Golf Driving Range

Postby Timko » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Tell me more about this auto retrieval.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

[quote="wrightmustangman"

1.) Would you like to have a driving range for Disc Golf?
Already do, it's the park by my house.
Yep, pretty cool place. Not sure it would translate to disc, though.
3.) Would you benefit to practice in a more technology advanced driving range similar Top Golf?
Making practice into a game is always more effective.
No.
5.) Would down time be an issue during the game for retrieval.
Depends on the game. Top golf fills the dead time with alcohol and food.
6.) Would you rather pay by hour or pay per game
Hour.
This would be necessary.

I like your general idea, but you would really have to offer something that can't be had anywhere else in order to have people pay. Then there's the challenge of getting them to come back regularly. We went to Top Golf a few times, but once the novelty wore off, we stopped going. Also, I can use my own equip at Top Golf. Yes, you have to use their balls, but the clubs are mine. If you aren't using your own discs, I'm not sure how valuable the practice would actually be. Good luck to you, sounds like a really fun project to work on.[/quote]
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby zj1002 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:46 am

Yeah its a novel idea but it doesn't translate to disc golf...yet

A big issues it discs. If people bring their own and they lose it or someone steals it, what is your policy? If you stock your own what types do yo keep on hand and how much.

Disc Nation has a 630ft driving range, marked out, and mowed. It can even hold a small 9-hole course. People don't use it unless they are shopping in the store. Why? Because they would rather take their own discs to a course or soccer field where it is free. The driving range is a free bonus.

If you can make it work, big props. But disc golf is such a low-cost sport that the people playing it would rather just use a soccer field.

I would just make a disc golf themed bar next to a busy course
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:52 am

1.) Would you like to have a driving range for Disc Golf? I agree with discmonkey42... would rather use a soccer field, football field, etc, free and close to home
2.) Have you ever heard Top Golf? No
3.) Would you benefit to practice in a more technology advanced driving range similar Top Golf? I could see a benefit in a facility with disc golf style batting cages, radar guns, HD video cameras, and on site instructors to help with form.
4.) Would you pay a small fee to practice at such a facility? Yes
5.) Would down time be an issue during the game for retrieval. Yes
6.) Would you rather pay by hour or pay per game? Hourly
7.) Would you like different difficulties? Yes
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby wrightmustangman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:12 pm

A series of inclined planes making three “V” slopes for the field design was chosen to allow the discs to slide to a stream which would carry the discs to a conveyor and then finally end up in a collection bin. As of right now we do not have a way to retrieve discs back to the user who threw. The idea is to have a large amount of disc on hand, this way players will not have to wait for the disc to get back to them.

To make this more difficult for veteran players we will add obstacles and or have smaller baskets for them to aim at. The idea was taken from Top Golf, There will be computer chips in each disc so when it lands the distance and score will be given to the player on a monitor in their lane.

efore I continue I need to state that this is for people who are not good at disc golf. I believe that this business idea will help this wonderful sport grow.

More revenue will be collected off of a bar and grill and pro-shops. This will be the only place to throw disc before purchase. We also will offer lessons and hopefully after some time the first arcade disc golf league.

I live in Texas, we don't have real winters so we designed this for outdoor use and easily can be design for indoor use for the colder states. The field will only cover 2 acres of land. We tackled everything worst case scenario. I have been able to determine that this business would be able to break even after 6 years. We are currently trying to find ways to reduce the capital.

We will also have a putting section, i know that is my biggest struggle, We are unsure if there will be a return on the putting green. There will be an hourly rate no more than $20 per hour and each lane can hold up to 8 people.

Thank you for all of your feedback this is very helpful

i need to specify that this will be an arcade driving range the player with the highest score will win their mini-game. Once we are able to find the user friendly interface, there will be 4-5 mini games.
wrightmustangman
Noob

Favorite Disc: D4

Postby punch » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Sounds interesting, I am also an engineer. I think your main hurdle will be getting people to pay. Most of the disc golfers I know (about 60+ people) are either stoners with no money or have jobs that don't pay very well. It is weird to me that so many disc golfers don't have very much money. You would think there would be a wider spread of income with people from so many different walks of life. Part of the appeal of disc golf is that you can play for free and get outside. I make $100K (civil & mechanical engineer) and I would perfer to play somewhere free. I haven't played a few courses by my house because I don't want to pay when I could play for free. An idea for disc retrival, it wouldn't be hard to build and program a robot on a zig-zag tracking system that could pick up the discs and dump the discs at each turn in the zig-zag to a conveyer belt. See Innovas Aprils Fools post this year for disc tracking, that could also be used for sorting and scoring.
Rhyno - Shark3 - Leopard - Teebird - Mamba
punch
Noob

Postby LYang » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm sure I'm pretty late for this feedback, but I am curious about a finalized design.

wrightmustangman wrote:1.) Would you like to have a driving range for Disc Golf?
5.) Would down time be an issue during the game for retrieval?
6.) Would you rather pay by hour or pay per game?

1.) Not sure about this. It would have to depend on the bells and whistles of said range and cost. However, I would not mind having a place to test new discs several times without having to purchase them.
2.) Yes, there's one in Houston.
3.) I agree with zj1002 in that I'm not sure how much more benefit you would get at a range as opposed to going to a open field (form practice) or on the course (obstacles). It would be nice to have a place that can track your distance/accuracy and retrieve your discs but I wouldn't want to pay $5 for that function -- perhaps $1. I think there would be more benefit from a training facility that captured your driving form where your form could be broken down and analyzed.
4.) It would have to be a very small fee, except I would not mind paying $10-15 to try several new discs.
5.) Yes, the novelty of a driving range is not having to go and retrieve. I also agree with discmonkey that unlike ball golf, part of practicing is being familiar with your discs.
6.) Not sure.
7.) Of course.

I think one of the things I would like to have is a place to "test drive" a wide selection of discs. I'm not sure how DN does their testing range, but I would love to be able to get a stack of say 5 of every disc I was curious about and be able to rip 'em down the range quite a few times to get a good feel of how they fly and compare them. I'm not sure about the sustainability of such a place would be though.

punch wrote:Sounds interesting, I am also an engineer. I think your main hurdle will be getting people to pay.

I'm not sure if perhaps a Disc Putt-Putt venture has been tossed around. It would be like miniature golf but just with disc baskets -- say 18 holes with varying short distances and obstacles.
- You wouldn't need as much land to create (or perhaps even in a warehouse?)
- Family fun --> to help promote the sport. (My wife who does not play disc golf and cannot throw farther than 50 feet would be more inclined to doing this.)
- Provide a place to practice putting (with your own or facility provided putters)
- Trying out different putters for the gajillion disc golfers still searching for the one
- The place could sell sell putters, drinks, and what not.

Just a thought.
LYang
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to General Discussion