Legal Max Weights?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Legal Max Weights?

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:19 am

The only reason I ask this question is just the other day I was looking at the local shops discs and came across some with questionable weights?

I seen some Latitude and Westside stuff ranging from 177 to 179 and I seen some Discraft Drones in the 178 region. Not sure if it was just a misprint but seen some Wizards at 177

I normally use 175's but If I can use heavier that would be great. The funny thing is some of the discs I like to use were in the questionable weight range.

So has the Legal Max Weight changed? It's been a while since I looked at the rules and such. I play in very few tournaments because of work,but when I do I just want to make sure I'm using the right weights.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Legal Max Weights?

Postby luma » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Copied this from DGCR:

This was pretty buried in the PDGA web site under competition manual in technical standards:

A disc shall:
(3) not be less than 21 cm in outside disc diameter, nor exceed 30 cm in outside disc diameter;
(4) not exceed 8.3 g per cm of outside disc diameter;
(5) not exceed a maximum weight of 200 g;

A 21.1 centimeter diameter disc (most drivers) times 8.3 grams = 175.13 grams max allowable.

Meaning Midranges may be heavier than drivers as they have a larger diameter. While using Max weight Drivers means 175 g, Max weight for Mids depends on their Diameter.

Plus, I think I read that somewhere on here, there is some kind of production tolerance which is +/- 3g. During the injection molding process when the disc is made, you have process variations due to several aspects so the weight of the part you get can be +/-2% of what your data in the machine says. That's why you have +/- 3g in tolerance for a disc, so you might even get a 177 Destroyer labelled as 175 which is legal then (I think). Depends on if it's being weighted and then labelled oder labelled by the data you put into the machine....I hope you know what I mean :)
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Re: Legal Max Weights?

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Thank you for this information. :thumbup:
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Return to General Discussion