All quiet on the western front

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: All quiet on the western front

Postby dgdave » Sun May 18, 2014 9:25 am

Playing disc golf is fun. Talking about it isn't as fun.

Let's go throw.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:21 pm

dgdave wrote:Playing disc golf is fun. Talking about it isn't as fun.

Let's go throw.

This man knows what he is talking about. :thumbup:
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JTdisc » Mon May 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Let's go throw.

Amen brother.

Didn't get a chance to play today, but when out on the practice field to test out the FDs vs Teebirds. FD's are very neutral with less fade than the Teebirds. Nice discs. If I wasn't so utterly devoted, I might consider switching. Right now I'm thinking of using the s-line FD as an in-between disc to compliment a champ Teebird and a River.

Also, on Saturday I was playing a round. Hole #2, 2nd shot, I break out my brand new Harp for a forehand hyzer approach about 175' on a tightly wooded fairway. I tried threading the needle but hit a close-by tree. The Harp, on it's first throw ever, tacoed. I was pretty bummed as it defnitely warped. By today it still retains the warp, but flies fairly well. That will teach me to throw soft plastic.

So many little adventures. Every day I learn something new. I love this sport.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:01 pm

JTdisc wrote:

Let's go throw.

Amen brother.

Didn't get a chance to play today, but when out on the practice field to test out the FDs vs Teebirds. FD's are very neutral with less fade than the Teebirds. Nice discs. If I wasn't so utterly devoted, I might consider switching. Right now I'm thinking of using the s-line FD as an in-between disc to compliment a champ Teebird and a River.

Also, on Saturday I was playing a round. Hole #2, 2nd shot, I break out my brand new Harp for a forehand hyzer approach about 175' on a tightly wooded fairway. I tried threading the needle but hit a close-by tree. The Harp, on it's first throw ever, tacoed. I was pretty bummed as it defnitely warped. By today it still retains the warp, but flies fairly well. That will teach me to throw soft plastic.

So many little adventures. Every day I learn something new. I love this sport.

Yeah man you speak the truth. I've been playing for nearly 16 years and I'm still learning new stuff everyday. I love that I'm still able to gain distance too as I age. Maybe by the time I'm 40 I'll be able to hit 500ft. :D
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:37 pm

How old are you Uncle? I am 33 and am still gaining incrementally each year. I don't know that my total distance goes up much, but my golf distance is approaching my max distance more and more, which I like. And then I read horror stories about popped tendons/ torn cuffs, ets. I will continue to eat it up for as long as possible. Throwing the ever loving crap out of something is a pretty damn good stress reliever as well.

KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby Stringbean » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 pm

NoMoreTinCup wrote:Throwing the ever loving crap out of something is a pretty damn good stress reliever as well.

KP

This is very true, I use to throw during my lunch breaks just about every day. I transferred to downtown MKE and can't do that anymore. sad face
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:58 am

I agree about the stress part.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:15 pm

andrew wrote:
I also re-read to discover Bentelbow is the troll. OMG run, run from Bentelbow, he is destroying the future of DGR.

There's no question about it. The worse kind too.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:18 pm

DGR in da house. Or was. Apparently smigles is sensitive to snoring so he changed address from the European Championships dormitory room that for a while was inhabited among others by 3 DGR members, PDGAEurope director and a living legend Derek Robins. Videos of the event will follow later. I have over 50 gigs of footage and the net here does not handle sending it to lcgm8. Got a fairway ace from Juho Parviainen on film on round 3 for an eagle 2 on hole 13. Off the top of my head it is a 194 m long hole.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:52 am

I really wish this form would pick back up. 14 pages of posts over on dgcr about a disc that hasn't been release yet is a little much.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby PMantle » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:55 pm

I got to play Selah Ranch while I was away from here. Two rounds with my shoulder the way it is and those lengths did not lead to good play, but it sure was fun. Hope to get back soon and play those other new ones near there. We like staying at lake Bob Sandlin. The crappie were biting right from the dock.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Stringbean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:44 am

Isn't it great when you don't have to jump in a boat? I was in Eagle River WI, early August, and the walleye were biting right off our pier. My 10 year old daughter's first fish ever was a 15" walleye and it scared the hell out of her.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby PMantle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Stringbean wrote:Isn't it great when you don't have to jump in a boat? I was in Eagle River WI, early August, and the walleye were biting right off our pier. My 10 year old daughter's first fish ever was a 15" walleye and it scared the hell out of her.

I could not believe it. Hope to rent the same place in Spring one year.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rhatton2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:55 am

JR wrote:DGR in da house. Or was. Apparently smigles is sensitive to snoring so he changed address from the European Championships dormitory room that for a while was inhabited among others by 3 DGR members, PDGAEurope director and a living legend Derek Robins. Videos of the event will follow later. I have over 50 gigs of footage and the net here does not handle sending it to lcgm8. Got a fairway ace from Juho Parviainen on film on round 3 for an eagle 2 on hole 13. Off the top of my head it is a 194 m long hole.

If Robins was in the room it probably wasn't the snoring that was the problem , his nickname "The Wind" hasn't got anything to do with disc golf.... :D

I would love to see some good level discussion back on DGR again and am trying to direct traffic from Reddit and DGCR with many links to articles and forum threads, not sure if its working but lets start getting some technique stuff going again. That was the draw once the disc reviews dried up and still should be. There are a lot of very experienced very informative people on these forums and in the last couple of years they must have privately found other ways to teach their knowledge to others - lets get sharing again.
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Previous

Return to General Discussion