All quiet on the western front

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

All quiet on the western front

Postby slowarm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:17 pm

What happened to this forum? This used to be my lunchtime amusement, but nowadays here's not a lot of action. Even JR has stopped to spend his time writing here comments that we others are unable to understand.

Seriously, have you all started to play disc golf (instead of writing about it)?
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Re: All quiet on the western front

Postby inthedrift » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:11 pm

slowarm wrote:What happened to this forum? This used to be my lunchtime amusement, but nowadays here's not a lot of action. Even JR has stopped to spend his time writing here comments that we others are unable to understand.

Seriously, have you all started to play disc golf (instead of writing about it)?

I think you're onto something...things get kinda slow here when spring rolls around. Wouldn't you rather be playing? I know I would!
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 pm

I wanna blame the other place for slowly rotting away their brains. So yeah that place is a lot like aspartame which is addictive and bad,while this place is pure cane sugar which is not bad for you. I'd rather have pure cane sugar. 8)
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby ELItheICEman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:13 am

What I'm curious to know is what happened to Blake. He hasn't logged in for almost a year now...
ELItheICEman
Noob

Postby PMantle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:02 am

Picking up my own personal stalking troll pretty much soured me of the place.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:29 pm

PMantle wrote:Picking up my own personal stalking troll pretty much soured me of the place.

I had a guy who kept thinking I was someone else and belittling me because of it. Then the crazy guy paid 10 dollars to label me as that guy on my avatar. Actually it was 2 people he thought I was.

I found out later by someone on there that just because my name had Uncle in it that I pretty much had to be those other guys. Apparently something went down and the guy made a 2nd account just to get back at them. So the guy thought I was the 3rd account. I don't like to be labeled something I'm not So I pretty much just dropped that place like a hot stack of pancakes and came here.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:41 pm

This site was designed to be intended for those interested in humbly learning about disc golf. Unfortunately that's a small market-share.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby JohnnyBee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:22 pm

It is to bad this site has slowed. This was the first forum I discovered for disc golf and lurked for several years just reading and applying the knowledge. The 150 Lovers thread opened up a whole new world for me after I had discovered a 150 Teebird and Valkyrie and saw that others used them. I do frequent DGCR also because it is more active, but I hope this site comes back around
PD / Valkryie / Teebird / Eagle L / Leopard /Comet / Tensor / Tangent / Anode / Zone
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby discspeed » Thu May 01, 2014 6:31 pm

PMantle wrote:Picking up my own personal stalking troll pretty much soured me of the place.

I had this issue as well, as evidenced in the early pages of many of the MVP threads.

Personally I'd rather wade through the muck at the other site to at least have some conversation as opposed to listening to the crickets chirp here.

I think the truth is that DGR was born out of Blake's passion for this sport...and it seems he moved on some time ago. I hope his brain is at least making some money for him or something now. Too bad about this site...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Working Stiff » Sat May 03, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm really sort of mystified by how this all played out. When DGCR's forum started, it was so painfully naive that I assumed that people would start there, get a little experience and migrate here. Instead, people stayed there. I'm not really sure why that is; probably a variety of things.

Obviously I like DGCR, but the forum there has several flaws. I would have thought there were enough people that didn't care for all the trolls and nonsense there that this place would still have some traffic. discspeed is right; the fact that Blake isn't here anymore says a lot. Fortunately the articles he contributed are still here, and his posts are still here. You have to dig for it, but his advice is still right here.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Wyno » Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 am

It's kinda sad, but whoever pays to keep this site up would probably do better uploading the good contents (articles and some of Blakes stuff in this forum) to a site with actual traffic where it could do some good for new folks. I still use this for reference, but I've saved what I need just in case.
As to why the forum died: lack of good moderation will kill any forum, lack of incoming traffic as well. Here you've got both:
1. purebred assholes (eg: apoth) getting basically free reign because "everyone should just toughen up" or some idiot idea like that (and a general funky fratboy smell at times)
2. A dead main site driving zero traffic to the forum.
Now, the first thing is easily fixed since there's no community here anymore so you would have to rebuild that from scratch anyway. The other part is obviously much harder. A megasite for disc reviews is still a pretty cool idea but with Inbounds and a host of other sites reviewing it would have to be pretty brilliantly executed to actually work. Probably better to start fresh somewhere else, if anyone still has the drive to do it?

RIP DGR.
Sometimes great, always interesting, still useful. Not a bad legacy at all, that.

Edit: Anyone talked to Blake for like, the last year? Who actually runs the site now?
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:16 pm

I wish I was a member for when Blake was around. I always looked at the site for many years,but never became a member until recently. I can see this site taking off again. :D

I'm hoping one day this site will catch on again. I could see it happening if more and more people start posting and asking questions. I come to this site daily and i see new members signing up all the time. If just 1 out of 3 of those new members would start posting and then if maybe 1 out of 3 older members would respond we could get this forum back to the way it use to be. Those 1 out of 3 will turn into 2 out of 3 and then maybe 3 out of 3.

Many look at Blake's departure as the death of this site,why don't we continue to honor everything that he did by getting more people here and just continuing the passion that he brought to this site.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JTdisc » Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 am

The articles and instructional threads are still great. Not having Blake around is a bummer. I also miss the occasional bits of wisdom from Mark Ellis.

The biggest turnoff however is that there are very few posters and the most prolific poster does little more than argue and call people names. At the other site 1 out of 20 posts is a flame, here it's like 1 out of 3. Without a moderator, this has become an extremely hostile place to post.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby Flipflat » Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 am

Trolling killed it. Anytime anyone with any knowledge made a good, well thought out post, it was immediately contradicted and and the person antagonized. That will stop most people from posting. Shitty moderation.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby aerodriver » Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 am

I didn't post for very long before things started to quiet down. Perhaps because we don't have the appeal that DGCR has with all of its dimensions, from course reviews to course maps and more. I still like it here, but it's not as much of an "experience". With all that said, I don't even post on DGCR because it is so large and it is difficult to keep up with threads if you don't subscribe/post in them. I always like it here because if a new thread popped up, I would give it a chance!
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Next

Return to General Discussion