Postby ziggy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:42 pm

Been wondering..

Ron Russell

Scott Stokely

Cam Todd

others?

1,000 rated players who have gone into hibernation

where have they gone??

I for one miss watching Cam Todd on video. His throwing style has me glued to the tube.
Last edited by ziggy on Fri May 11, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:56 pm

last I hear Stokely threw out his arm, came back too soon, and threw it out again.
Don't quote me on it, I THINK it was the last I heard about him.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:58 pm

from the rumor mill:

cam and ron have retired with no plans for returning (jaded and burned out on disc).

stokely's arm is basically done but also heard possibly repairable with surgery. heard that he has different career focuses now that do not involve disc golf at all.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby ziggy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:11 pm

Blake_T wrote:from the rumor mill:

cam and ron have retired with no plans for returning (jaded and burned out on disc).

Too bad, based on what i have seen in video - cam todd has the best putt to study.

where ron had the best ambidextrous style as well as the most difficult putt to study.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:26 pm

I can understand why touring pros like Cam and Ron would burn out.

Not to go off on a tangent or anything but let's be honest there is no money in disc golf as a competing player. You have all the expenses of traveling and living on the road out of your car, suv or winnebago and you must finish in the top 5 every event just to pay for your expenses. When you're forced to win/finish high in order to eat it takes the fun out of it. I mean c'mon a really good tour player might win 20k year if he has a good year but geez he probably had 16k in expenses. Many are eating ramen noodles, taking cold showers in campgrounds and trying to mooch a place to sleep any chance they get. I can imagine they are disc golfers during the tournaments but feel like hobos the rest of the week.

I would only consider touring if:
a. I had sponsor(s) that took care of most if not all of my expenses

b. I was wealthy or atleast very comfortable financially

c. Had means for a steady stream of income that I could do from all over the country.

Suppose you spent hours everyday (some on this board do) honing your skills to be very good at your chosen skill and then when you became one of the elite players you're scrappin to pay for your next meal or to fill the gas tank to get to the next event.

There are many other skills that with the same dedication and practice would earn you 100k + per year.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby dgdave » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 pm

I don't know if this has any validity to it, but I heard Stokely and his wife were in the amateur adult film industry. And you know what they say about a guy with big hands. :roll:
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby jHarr » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

jHarr
Noob

Postby Glock23 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:30 pm

I don't know if this has any validity to it, but I heard Stokely and his wife were in the amateur film industry. And you know what they say about a guy with big hands.

I guess he is making some new instructional videos!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Will » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 pm

i heard ron was roofing down in florida and only plays in few tourneys.....he does make it to michigan every year at least once to river bends..
I finally figured out how to putt!! Then I forgot again...
Will
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:43 pm

dgdave wrote:I don't know if this has any validity to it, but I heard Stokely and his wife were in the amateur adult film industry. And you know what they say about a guy with big hands. :roll:

If that were true, you don't think there would be evidence on the Internet?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:10 pm

I didn't see any real evidence in either link to make me think Ron is making a comeback. (to real competitive play)

I'm not sure how old the video is but even if it's recent he could have done it as a spokesman for discraft being that he was sponsored by them when he was active.

Ron ran the tournament at the Melbourne Open but did not play. I couldn't find him in the list of rated pdga players either.

On a side note I believe Ron was wrong in delaying the start of the tournament to accomadate Ken Climo. When you show up late regardless of the reason you take 7s (actually par plus 4) for every hole you miss. This rule should be applied to everyone equally. To delay the tournament an hour to wait for Ken to arrive was really just wrong. I'm sure Johnny McCray would agree with me.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:15 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
dgdave wrote:I don't know if this has any validity to it, but I heard Stokely and his wife were in the amateur adult film industry. And you know what they say about a guy with big hands. :roll:

If that were true, you don't think there would be evidence on the Internet?

Not neccessarily. It depends what roles they have. Everyone automaticly thinks actor/actress roles. Maybe they started a chain of adult film stores. An adult website. These types of roles in the industry wouldn't give you any notoriety or search engine trails.

I suspect this maybe more rumor than truth anyway.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby koronin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:07 am

I have a DVD of the 2003 National Tour (it's ok) and Ron's putting style cracks me up everytime I see it. You'd think there's no way he can get away with that but he sank a very high percentage of putts.

ziggy wrote:
Blake_T wrote:from the rumor mill:

Too bad, based on what i have seen in video - cam todd has the best putt to study.

where ron had the best ambidextrous style as well as the most difficult putt to study.
--

PDGA: 31525
Aces:
11/18/2006 - Burke Lake Park #5 (150 ch Leopard)
12/30/2006 - Pohick Virginia #17 (168 DX Stingray)
05/19/2007 - Burke Lake Park #1, Long (180 Ch Stingray)
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby Jerry R » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:10 am

Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby ericdmb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 am

I think something that has to do with it are the people that are taking over the sport now. Feldberg, Jenkins, Doss, Orum etc. these are younger guys with great game... perhaps they combine the getting old with the younger talent and feel that they can't compete and being a touring pro playing masters might not be worth it....

I really don't know, just some thoughts
www.bearclaws.org

"Life is short but sweet for certain"
ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion