Pond Diving

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

cleaning discs

Postby twmccoy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:33 pm

I've found that champion/Z plastic cleans up really well. X and DX plastic is harder, especially if it has that black mud on it. I just use water and a sponge with the green scrubbing thing on one side.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:08 pm

You know what happened to me? My x avengers with the foil stamp, I washed them with dish washing soap and the foil stamp faded to an ugly color, like when paper gets wet.

This was new, but I'm worried about washing my z avenger which also has a foil-type stamp.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

foil stamps

Postby twmccoy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Yeah, I am careful when I wash discs with foil stamps. I washed some discs in the dishwasher once and the stamps came totally off. I've also seen them come off due to hot water or harsh soap. I wash the foil stamped discs with cold water only.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:17 am

I didn't really feel like this needed a new topic but what do you guys think about returning discs that you find in the water? I personally don't usually return the disc since it is like abandoned property, the owner gave up the rights when they walked away. The only exceptions is right after a tournament since most of the time you can't slog through a pond for ten minutes looking for your disc.

What got me thinking about this is the old thread over at the PDGA boards. They are very pro return but I just don't get it. You leave the disc, you give up your rights to it.

Also do you guys ever go dipping just to find discs. I usually don't, I only go in when looking for my disc but once I'm in there I might as well search around.

P.S. found a Super Roc and a SE Rhyno while looking for my pro starfire. Didn't find it but they eased the pain.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby garublador » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:21 am

I always try to return discs that I find. It's the right thing to do. You have no way of knowing whether or not they gave up because they don't care, or gave up because they looked forever and coudln't find it or had some sort of time contraints and had to leave. "Finders keepers, loosers weepers" is not a justification for taking something that belongs to someone else. Chances are you'll get to keep the disc anyway, but the original owner put his or ner name on the disc for a reason.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby sleepy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:08 am

garublador wrote:I always try to return discs that I find. It's the right thing to do. You have no way of knowing whether or not they gave up because they don't care, or gave up because they looked forever and coudln't find it or had some sort of time contraints and had to leave. "Finders keepers, loosers weepers" is not a justification for taking something that belongs to someone else. Chances are you'll get to keep the disc anyway, but the original owner put his or ner name on the disc for a reason.

Well said.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:30 am

garublador wrote:I always try to return discs that I find. It's the right thing to do. You have no way of knowing whether or not they gave up because they don't care, or gave up because they looked forever and coudln't find it or had some sort of time contraints and had to leave. "Finders keepers, loosers weepers" is not a justification for taking something that belongs to someone else. Chances are you'll get to keep the disc anyway, but the original owner put his or ner name on the disc for a reason.

I hadn't really though of the "just can't find it" angle, which is odd since there have been plenty of times I just couldn't find a disc in water. I will keep that in mind.

What did get me mad the other day was that a few weeks ago we had a big tournament out at Buckhorn and as soon as it was over there were all these punk kids wading around in the water talking about all the money they were going to make from selling discs to Played Again sports. That really got me since they had practically cleaned the place out before the prizes were done being giving out. The tourny players didn't even have a chance to look for their discs.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Pagan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:41 am

When finding discs I give it an honest try. I look for a name, number, email address, or see if I recognize the disc. If there's none I look around for players. That being said; if there's no name, or no one has lost it I make use of it somehow. If it's something I dont particularly want I'll donate it to a local kid. It gets them started and I feel better about myself.

It's not that I'm so do goody idiot. I've lost discs in the rivers and still want them back. Someone said that if you "abandon" your disc you forfiet all claims to it. Speaking for myself here; I have a job and most times I just have time to play a quick game before work. If I lose a disc I dont have long to look for it. I do return the next day. I don't abandon my discs I just dont have time, or can't find it.

I do offer "rewards" for lost discs. Most of the local disc-divers know this too. It gives them some reward for their effort, I pay more than the local stores for trade in, and I get my disc for less than buying a replacement.

End of rant...
Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

returning discs

Postby twmccoy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:46 am

In the last year I've probably returned about 50 discs to people around here. I've even returned a couple that were lost for over a year in lakes. I don't return every disc I find though. If I find a trashed DX disc with a name on it I usually leave it at the park or throw it away.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby jdawg4422 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:59 am

I also try to return discs, but only to local players and only if it has a name and number on it. Also i do expect whomever im giving the disc back to, to reward me somehow. I dont care if it is hey you want a beer? or bowl? or a couple bux. If i return a disc to a guy more than once and doesnt offer anything, then i will just turn his into the local shop for the $2.

I dont call any out of state numbers due to the fact that i am not going to waste my time sending it out and everything for less than like $8 with shipping and you can buy most replacement discs for not too much more than that.

I do get irritated by the people that throw their discs in and do leave them there even if they have time, and they expect to get their disc back. Those are usually the poeple that dont believe they should reward people for getting "thier possesions" back. When i leave a disc that i threw in i think it would be nice to get my disc back. but i do not expect to get it back.

ok done ranting. my .02 cents
jdawg4422
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 am

As per most local laws, any lost or abandoned property should be turned in to the local police department where it will be held for 30 days. A legitimate attempt to contact the owner is made, if possible. At the end of the 30 days, if no one claims, then it is yours. If there is a name and number on the disc, it is close to willfull theft.

In the end, things should not come to that. Call the person and see if they want their disc back. If they do, have them arrange to get it back from you. Don't be an a$$hole and whine about reasons you should get to keep it. Every time I've returned a disc, I've gotten one in return. Karma is kinda cool that way.

Don't be a chucker.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby jdawg4422 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:56 am

discmonkey42 wrote: Every time I've returned a disc, I've gotten one in return. Karma is kinda cool that way.

Thats amazing! everytime you have gotten a disc for it huh? wow. I have turned five back to the same guy at the same time and he gave me a comment like " I lost this disc 6 months ago. Have you been playing with it?" didnt give me any money any disc or even a real thanx he actually seemed like he was mad at me because his disc was in the lake for so long. So now when i find one of his discs i turn it into the local shop and take my two bux.
jdawg4422
Noob

Postby pointdisc » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:24 pm

I usually return them, but recently got a little mad at some people. I lost one in a lake last year, had my name and number on it and after looking for it for around a half hour, I gave up. Thing is, the next week I see it being thrown by some people and after talking to them, showing them my ID for proof I still only got it back by offering one of my discs AND money for trade. After that and seeing all the names crossed out on other discs, I kind of lost hope. If I find some with a name on it, I'll try to locate them, otherwise it's mine.

pd
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby Weebl » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:45 am

If I see someone throwing a disc that belongs to me, or someone I know (and the person throwing it isnt the owner) I will talk to that person, if he/she won't return it (I always offer a couple bucks reward) then I tell the local shops about them, and usually they are blacklisteed. If it happens again and they've blatanly stole it, I will get the persons license plate # and call the cops on them. I dont care if anything gets resolved, it will either make them think about taking another disc, or even returning to that course... If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby calvarycoffee » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:03 am

anyone write on their discs: "reward if found/returned" ?

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion