Pond Diving

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:12 am

Weebl wrote: If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.


Yes!!! Finally, someone who understands. This isn't a game of "I didn't get mine back so screw everyone else". You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You're not teaching anyone a lesson by being a jerk. And theft is theft. Replace the word disc with wallet in this thread and watch how bent out of shape people would get with the same treatment.

There is no real reason for not trying to get someone their disc back if their name is on the disc. Anyone who doesn't at least try is pretty much lazy, making excuses, and a thief. They are also lucky that disc golfers are a pretty passive, fun loving bunch. I know it wouldn't surprise me to see some of these thieves get hurt by some less than patient people who want what is legally theirs back. I would never take that route, but consider the times we live in. It's a pretty ballsy move to refuse to give someone their property back in this day and age.
42
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 am
Location: In my own way
Favorite Disc: OLF

disc finding

Postby twmccoy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:54 pm

discmonkey42 wrote:
Weebl wrote: If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.


Yes!!! Finally, someone who understands. This isn't a game of "I didn't get mine back so screw everyone else". You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You're not teaching anyone a lesson by being a jerk. And theft is theft. Replace the word disc with wallet in this thread and watch how bent out of shape people would get with the same treatment.

There is no real reason for not trying to get someone their disc back if their name is on the disc. Anyone who doesn't at least try is pretty much lazy, making excuses, and a thief. They are also lucky that disc golfers are a pretty passive, fun loving bunch. I know it wouldn't surprise me to see some of these thieves get hurt by some less than patient people who want what is legally theirs back. I would never take that route, but consider the times we live in. It's a pretty ballsy move to refuse to give someone their property back in this day and age.


I disagree with your calling anyone who keeps a found disc a thief. I also don't think that anyone is obligated to call a number on the disc. Fact is, if you can't live with losing a disc, don't throw it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: disc finding

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:23 pm

twmccoy wrote:
discmonkey42 wrote:
Weebl wrote: If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.


Yes!!! Finally, someone who understands. This isn't a game of "I didn't get mine back so screw everyone else". You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You're not teaching anyone a lesson by being a jerk. And theft is theft. Replace the word disc with wallet in this thread and watch how bent out of shape people would get with the same treatment.

There is no real reason for not trying to get someone their disc back if their name is on the disc. Anyone who doesn't at least try is pretty much lazy, making excuses, and a thief. They are also lucky that disc golfers are a pretty passive, fun loving bunch. I know it wouldn't surprise me to see some of these thieves get hurt by some less than patient people who want what is legally theirs back. I would never take that route, but consider the times we live in. It's a pretty ballsy move to refuse to give someone their property back in this day and age.


I disagree with your calling anyone who keeps a found disc a thief. I also don't think that anyone is obligated to call a number on the disc. Fact is, if you can't live with losing a disc, don't throw it.


No, not obligated, just inconsiderate and taking advantage of the misfortune of another. And if you have something you know belongs to someone else, you are a thief. I'm not judging, do what you want, I'm just calling it like I see it. :?
42
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 am
Location: In my own way
Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 am

It was ingrained in me that you always attempt to return discs. I don't expect to get discs back that I've thrown in the lake or lost in the woods, but it sure says alot about our guys (disc players) that do. In fact, if I find a disc when I'm out of town, I try to call and return it before I go back home. But, I'm not sure if I expect this.

It does suck seeing your tye dye being used by someone else when he and everyone else knows it WAS yours. Normally, guilt causes them to get rid of it or just not use it: so why not return it. I found a disc from such a person and returned it, and I could tell it made him uneasy. But, he wasn't very nice about it when I returned it.

I don't even write my name on them anymore as the current local group will not return them anyway. I've had a few situations where I've thrown a disc, and someone walks up and pretends its theirs. So, I may go back to tagging them. Also, I trade discs, and no one wants a disc that is marked though I have several trade discs that still have the previous owner's name.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: south Texas

Postby Pagan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Good karma (and a reward) work. I lost my brand new pentacle dyed Wasp in the river on the 2nd day I had it. (Hit a low tree limb and bounced right into the river). I was out playing a day later mentioned I had lost it, described it to the kids and told them I'd give em 5 bucks for each disc of mine returned. A couple days ago while playing I got my wasp back. Since the temps were lower 40's and the water coldern hell I gave the kid 10 bucks on the spot. I helped a fellow player retrieve his disc out of same spot yesterday. Good Karma!

If ya find discs try to return em, at least an honest effort. The good karma WILL return to you. Maybee not the next day but it WILL return.

Go and disc in peace dude.
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Panama City, Florida
Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:28 am

Pay it forward man pay it forward



:twisted:
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Battle Creek, MI

Postby jase_roc » Sun May 07, 2006 8:36 pm

my friend and i went looking in the river today. found 7 discs. no names, otherwise we would return them. we found a flash, z predator, xl, and 4 archangles.
- Jase
jase_roc
Noob
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: Watertown Souf Dakota

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:43 pm

You have to trust that karma will always pay you back. Friday I found a very cool, dyed, champ eagle that flies really nice. No name and in great condition. :D
42
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 am
Location: In my own way
Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Weebl » Sun May 07, 2006 11:56 pm

I played on a temp course this weekend at Big Sur in the Redwoods and the day after the tourny I found a brand new Champion Eagle-L. Looked to have had only 1 throw... that landed completely verticle on a fallen over tree 25' above ground. The crazy thing is the plastic looks like old CE... Feels like old CE... Flies like old CE... And has a new innova swoosh rainbow foil stamp. Anyone else notice a recent batch of Champion discs that were Opaque, no swirls and slightly transparent like the 3rd run CE? If this is a recent run, I need to hunt these champion plastics down and buy me a stack for personal use...

Edit: Slightly transparant as in, you can see a tint difference from the Rim and the thin flightplate
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: Monterey Bay, California

Re: disc finding

Postby Fritz » Mon May 08, 2006 9:29 am

twmccoy wrote:
discmonkey42 wrote:
Weebl wrote: If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.


Yes!!! Finally, someone who understands. This isn't a game of "I didn't get mine back so screw everyone else". You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You're not teaching anyone a lesson by being a jerk. And theft is theft. Replace the word disc with wallet in this thread and watch how bent out of shape people would get with the same treatment.

There is no real reason for not trying to get someone their disc back if their name is on the disc. Anyone who doesn't at least try is pretty much lazy, making excuses, and a thief. They are also lucky that disc golfers are a pretty passive, fun loving bunch. I know it wouldn't surprise me to see some of these thieves get hurt by some less than patient people who want what is legally theirs back. I would never take that route, but consider the times we live in. It's a pretty ballsy move to refuse to give someone their property back in this day and age.


I disagree with your calling anyone who keeps a found disc a thief. I also don't think that anyone is obligated to call a number on the disc. Fact is, if you can't live with losing a disc, don't throw it.


You better make sure you cross that name off good enough, cause if I see someoen throwing a disc I k now I lost, and it lands near me, I'm takin it back.

And not returning discs, Karma will pay your ass back.

I always attempt to return discs. I call the number 3 times. Hell I even return discs without names, I post a message on teh local board, and say I've found such n such disc, pm me the weight and color and I post where I found it. PM me and I'll return it.
Karma dude Karma
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jase_roc » Mon May 08, 2006 6:47 pm

My friend and I just got done looking in the river for the second straight day. We found 16 discs, none of them had names on them, and one of them was one that I lost a week ago.
We found
4 Archangels
Flash
Champion Eagle
Orc
Champion Orc
Unkown Champion Disc
Champion Viking
LS Polaris
not sure the other ones. It was worth it though.
- Jase
jase_roc
Noob
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: Watertown Souf Dakota

found discs

Postby twmccoy » Mon May 08, 2006 9:25 pm

Last weekend I found a champ orc, a champ eagle, a CE firebird, a X out CE valk, a Surge, a pro starfire and a champ sidewinder, all without names. I have returned about 50 discs to people over the past couple years though. Some people were amazed to get discs back that had been lost 2 years or more.
BTW Josh, you know I give your discs back. :wink:
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: found discs

Postby Fritz » Tue May 09, 2006 12:39 am

twmccoy wrote:Last weekend I found a champ orc, a champ eagle, a CE firebird, a X out CE valk, a Surge, a pro starfire and a champ sidewinder, all without names. I have returned about 50 discs to people over the past couple years though. Some people were amazed to get discs back that had been lost 2 years or more.
BTW Josh, you know I give your discs back. :wink:


I know man, Im jsut saying the attitude of not giving discs back cause of "finders keepers, don't throw it near water if ya dont' want it gone, is not a kewl one :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Glock23 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:37 am

Hey guys, I have to add my thoughts on this.
At the course I play, there are some holes where water plays a big factor. Recently I went into on of the ponds and pulled out about 18 discs. Now this isn't a typical pond. There is about 3 feet of sludge on the bottom thanks to runnoff and duck bowel movements, dead fish floating in the water, a stench that makes you gag, and a ton of metal to slice you if you are not careful. Some of the discs I retrieved had names/#'s on them, but most did not. I was able to find some pretty decent stuff, like a first run sidewinder, star beast and wraith, ce kc teebird 11x, ce orc, pro wraith, pro starfire, z xtra, z hawk, ect. In my opinion if you toss your disc in the water, and don't have the nerve/desire to go in after it, you give up your right to that disc. I know this makes me sound like a selfish jerk, but believe me I am not. While I was in there, I pulled about 5-10 discs out for people who just tossed them in, even though it was a hassle to look for them. If I find a disc in the fairway or by the chains, I will call the person. In fact I did that this week with a nice ching putter I found. But if you drop it in the water, I think the person who goes in deserves it. If you don't have the motivation to go in after your own plastic, how can you be upset at someone who does? That just sounds petty to me. I have only been playing about 4 months, and have been able to find some discs that have really helped my game. Am I way off base here??
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:31 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Disc: Beaver

finding discs

Postby twmccoy » Tue May 09, 2006 8:57 am

There is one pond I go into occasionally that is nasty. The discs I get out of it stink as well and have to be left outside for a week. I agree with you that whoever finds the discs should have the choice of keeping them or giving them back. That said, I don't agree with watching people's shots, finding the disc and then keeping it. If I see someone throw a disc in, I will get it and give it back to them. This year alone I have saved people some big $$ by retrieving their errant shots. Also, if I am finding discs and someone describes their disc and I have it, I will give it back. I scored a champ beast and a champ roadrunner after finding people's discs one day. They insisted on giving me one of their old discs in return, so things worked out nicely.

You guys who think every disc should be returned have to remember, it is hard work finding these things. I've had to deal with rude people, leeches, weather, rocks etc. What I'm saying is, don't bitch when you throw your favorite disc in the drink. Use something expendable on water holes.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron