Improving Timing

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Improving Timing

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:08 am

What does everybody do to improve their timing. I've always struggled a little with timing (played ball golf for 17 years) when my timing is just right I am great but most of the time it is off. I just got back on the bowflex and am trying to slim up again...took a few months off when I moved back home (drank too much beer too). I just started jump rope today (WHEW!). Any ideas/suggestions on how to improve overall timing? Just curious as to what everyone else does.

:twisted:
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:00 am

if my game starts sliding, especially due to timing, I relax and slow down. I can drive nearly as far with a slower step as a quicker one. I dont know why it ever gets sped up. Its the acceleration not the speed right?
Last edited by Thatdirtykid on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Smyith » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:32 pm

relax and practice. i have a fast arm and a slow step but as my form is improving i am slowly increasing my foot speed. i just wouldnt try to rush anything. work on form and increase your speed once the form is proper. dont make huge leaps to improve take steps to improve. the results will be much more consistent
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:10 pm

like dirtykid said... relax and slow down. i try to go for easier shots when my throw feels off. i think timing is related to confidence in a lot of ways and if you try and throw an easier shot it's more likely you'll feel relaxed... this will help your execution. i play the worst when i'm trying to execute difficult shots... it's not that i execute the shot correctly but it falls short... it's that i'm stressed out and unconfident when i'm throwing and the timing and mechanics all get messed up and i shank it. going for simple shots with a relaxed mind help me execute my form the right way.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:41 pm

I got the beer belly blues as well. I was going to get a bowflex, but it didn't have a drink holder for my beer.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:34 am

As hippy as it sounds, meditating.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:03 am

as non hippy as it sounds....what exactly is meditating(kinda have an idea of what it is but you know)...and how do you do it? does it help with flexibility? I know it helps with relaxation....any pointers/suggestions/websites/knowledge on how to...?
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby Mark Brunner » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:52 am

Meditation can be as simple as taking about 15-20 minutes out of your day, finding a quiet room, comfortable place to sit for that time, focusing on one simple object in your mind like a disc... bringing out all the details of that disc such as color, feel and just focusing on that for 15-20 minutes. Focusing on just one object while drowning out any distractioning thoughts or sounds not associated with your object of focus.

Not only does meditation help you relax, it also helps you focus more on everyday routines including playing disc golf.

Another tool for consistency I recommend is working out with resistance bands. I know they have the "equalizer" that they sell on disc golf websites for about 20 dollars. You can go a little cheaper from this website, http://www.simplefitnesssolutions.com/p ... p_tube.htm

For starters I would recommend the heavy(red) band, you would also need the clip-tube handle. The tube comes with an end that can be worked in the door. If you go the equalizer route, they include a list of exercises as well as what they benefit.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion