elbow problems

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

elbow problems

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:44 am

Anyone have problems with elbow pain? It doesn't feel like tennis elbow. It's more the joint itself if not on my upper arm right above the elbow.

The weird thing is that I didn't get a chance to play this weekend, and it's still bugging me. Kinda a dull pain. Anyone experience similar?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

elbow soreness

Postby twmccoy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Yeah, I've kinda had a nagging pain in my elbow for a while. I think it happened when I threw too much during cold weather. When I throw in nice weather I don't feel it, but as soon as I throw even one time in cold weather it flares up. I am currently on disc golf hiaitus until it feels better.

BTW, any stretches that will help this? I haven't found any yet that loosen my elbow up any.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

that elbow thing

Postby jiwaburst » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:53 pm

yeah, I have it too... that elbow thing.

Someday I'll ask my Phys Ther buddies for a free consultation.

For me it's all sidearm related, it's the same pain I started getting in my late twenties doing rec pitching. Tennis and basketball don't bother it much at all. But throwing disc did do it it to me this winter. And I know what throw(s) really tweaked it, high torque sidearm anhyzer rollers, haven't fully healed from overdoing those one day. Thumbers do the same thing to me, gentle sidearms are fine though.

I know that pain, and it sounds like what (some) pitchers have before they get Tommy John surgery. Dotel had it last year, he had the ability if he wanted to keep throwing about as hard as before, but with pain every time, so he opted for the knife instead. Ligaments, I guess.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

elbow

Postby twmccoy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:12 am

My arm ALWAYS hurt if I tried to throw sidearm. I throw backhand. The pain is nothing bad, just a nagging ache. I will take some time off and see how it feels when the weather warms up.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:58 am

you people must be throwing sidearms too hard. my sidearms involve VERY little strain on my arm. i don't use my arm much in my technique... mostly hips n' wrist. my thumbers and tomohawks however... yeeouch!
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:22 pm

That's exactly right. I can play basketball and tennis (if I don't serve with spin), but disc aggravates it. I can throw darts with some success, but I do feel a little discomfort.

I would like specific stretches. I've asked people, and they say make sure you are stretching. But can anyone make suggestions how?

I do not throw sidearm at all.

I treat it with mineral ice. Yesterday I used Icy hot and it seemed to work very well. I have hyper extended this arm a few times, not sure if it's related though.

I know I see alot of players rubbing ointment on their shoulders and elbows, o we must be doing something wrong.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:29 pm

it sounds like over-strain due to hyper-extension.

#1 cause of this is rolling the wrist over during/after the release.

#1 cause of the wrist roll is compensation to get the nose down or force a turn with a throwing style that does not get the weight forward.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

wraith

Postby twmccoy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:05 pm

Blake_T wrote:it sounds like over-strain due to hyper-extension.

#1 cause of this is rolling the wrist over during/after the release.

#1 cause of the wrist roll is compensation to get the nose down or force a turn with a throwing style that does not get the weight forward.

Damn, must be the wraith. I've been rolling my wrist throwing the wraith lately. Maybe that caused it. Looks like its time to switch drivers.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby steezo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:50 pm

blake hit it right on the nail. wrist roll over/ wrist position as the forearm is in motion. heres a link to some info and some pictures. http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=5
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:37 pm

Wow. Thanks guys, that is very helpful. It's actually feeling really good right now. It's been recommended that I wear a brace (though I haven't found one I can wear yet; they seem to only carry small and xs).

what driver do you think I should switch too?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby steezo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:09 pm

not sure if there is another disc that won't cause pain. any disc that you are trying to muscle and therefore breaking down your technique will cause pain- even a putter. once you have "tennis elbow" your stuck with it, not to say it won't ever feel better, but it won't completely heal to perfection. if you really want to make a difference and take it serious- start working on strengthing your wrist and forearm, stretch your arm constantly, and for a while completely slow down your throwing motion so you can "relearn" to throw without wrist/rollover etc. the only time i use a wrist/over is when im having to throw a very hand annie.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:24 am

Unless I am mistaken, tennis elbow was in the part of the arm before the elbow, or no? Mine is higher. I played today after 2 weeks off. It didnt bother me while playing. It did while I was taking a machete to some brush. So it may not be disc related. About 5 weeks ago, I was in an altercation. I swung hard and connected. What Newton's law is that about equal action and reaction? I remember it hurt. That may be how I jarred that arm.

I know I was sparring today and was having trouble jabbing.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:14 am

it's less an issue of what caused it, more an issue of once the tendons get inflamed any aggrivation will keep them that way. damage/injury occurs well before pain shows up, but often it is very mild and pain never shows up.

a very common theme i have been coming across lately are players that injure their arms doing a non-throwing activity but then the injury stays active due to their throwing technique that was causing stress. the result is a technique overhaul in order for the injury to fully heal.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:07 am

Do you recommend I take some time off to heal first? Or just start working on technique?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:15 am

It wouldn't let me edit my previous post. I was just going to add that it didn't bother me last week during play. It's more when I'm not doing anything. Like when I try to sleep, I just cant find pressure.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion