finger pain

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

finger pain

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:55 am

i was putting for a good two hours straight the other day. at the end of my session my middle finger really hurt. the middle knuckle was soar and achey. i think my putting style involves a lot of finger spring to spin the disc and that caused it. i was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience? i'm hoping my finger will just get stronger and it was just fatigued... but i'm a little concerned and don't want to mess my finger up.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:24 pm

It's probably your rip finger. I've never done it, but others take up their fingers. They borrow my tape to do so. Try giving it some rest. On occasions, my fingers will be sore also.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:57 pm

tape to support the joint? that might feel good actually... i'll try it.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby steezo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:40 pm

i had that problem, still sorta do. it made me so happy to have it though, cause it validated that i finally figured out the finger spring that blake talks about in his articles. you know you can finger spring when the disc zipps out of your hand. my hand is sore from the base of the thumb to the bottom joints of the fingers. its not as bad now that i'ved been doing it for a couple of weeks. if your joints are sore, it is most likey from the pressure (grip) that you are putting on the disc, which is required for the spring. whenever you are not doing something with your hands, stretch it out-each finger. your hand will get stronger and it wont hurt anymore.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:40 pm

Strengthening your hand is the best thing to do. I did see some finger joint sleeves the other day while looking for an elbow (and knee) brace.

I've seen some of the locals playing while wearing these. I got lucky there; I broke a finger (4th phalange) last year and never stopped playing. I had the tape job ripped off by the time I got home from the doctor.

Apparently for some finger breaks they just buddy tape the fingers together (depending on the break).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:30 pm

the last couple days i've just been practicing in some woods near my home, throwing putters and midranges around. instantly my finger started hurting so i reverted to the "flip the bird" grip to just let my middle finger relax. i'd never been successful with anything but a power grip before because my hands are very small... but i was throwing great with my new grip and my finger wasn't an issue anymore. perhaps this is a blessing in disquise.

steevo, when you say i should stretch my fingers out, do you have any specific stretches you know? or should i just improvise?
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby steezo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:27 pm

well first off its steezo 8) but if you have ever played the guitar you'll know. you stretch your hands by making a peace sign then stretching it farther, with your other hand- do this with each finger. then rub your palms, like a massage, then stretch the wrist and forearm- like your giving a high five, but you push the high five back farther with your other hand.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:30 am

ai aight steezo :wink:

i've played guitar for umm... 13 years now. thanks for the advice, man, much abliged.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby steezo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:04 am

no problemo placebo pills :lol:
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Return to General Discussion