Tourney Questions

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tourney Questions

Postby Kingbee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:17 pm

I have yet to play in a league or tourney. At all the courses I play I see flyers up for a league or something on a certain day of the week. The one at my local course says something like $5 on the Second, Third and Fourth Wed of every month. And $10 First Wed of every month. With $1 ace fund.

First question, why would they double the price to play one of the 4 days? And how exactly does the ace fund work? Do you have to pay the ace fund? If so, why not just say $6 to play? Every sign I have seen they list the Ace Fund price seperate.

Another place I played had something insane like a $50 ace fund. And it was anywhere from $20-$50 to play depending what group you played in. I believe this was for a tournament.

Thanks for your help.
Kingbee
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:51 pm

sounds like the ace fund is optional. which means that if you don't throw in your buck and you do hit an ace, you might go home crying :(
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adidadg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:55 pm

the Ace fund (aka Ace Pot) is almost always optional. The idea is that whoever gets an ace collects all of the cash that was put into the ace pot. You can only collect the money if you paid into the ace pot yourself. For leagues and whatnot, the Ace pot will usually carry over from week to week until someone hits an ace and collects the pot, setting it back to $0. They can grow to be pretty large, the one in our local league here is up to $500.

As for why the first wednesday of the month costs more than the rest of the games, i have no idea! Best to just show up and play, I'm sure they'd be glad to have you.

I guarantee you youre game will improve drastically after playing with some experienced players on a regular basis.
adidadg

Postby bigs348 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:31 pm

The "something insane" was probably what the ace pot was currently up to (or money they added in), not what it costs to be in it, that would be ridiculous. Many bigger tournies have the ace fund built into the fee, some offer it separate, and for most leagues it's extra money to get in it - usually $1, sometimes $2. If it's a shorter course and I know I'll have the opportunity to hit an ace, I'll buy in and I usually do. If it's a longer course and I think I'll just be laying up and not going for it, then I won't worry about it. However, I still usually buy in because I figure the day I don't buy in will be the day I hit and regret not winning that $50-$500 that I could have won...

Most tournies are somewhere in the range of $15-30 for amateur divisions. Not too bad considering you usually get a player's pack with 1 or more discs, a t-shirt, etc., the chance to win plastic or a trophy, and a day of playing tourney golf to boot.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Kingbee » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:32 am

Thanks, it all makes sense now. I plan on playing in a couple tourneys this summer. It sounds like all the ones around me you put your name in a hat and they pick who you will be playing with. Rather than playing with your friends. Its cool and all to meet new people and new players. But is there another reason why they do this? Is this something most courses do?
Kingbee
Noob

Postby adidadg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:37 am

in the tourneys around here, for the first round only they do random groups of 4 like you said, mixing all of the divisions. Then for rounds 2,3 and 4 they group you according to where you stand in your own division. For example, Golfers placed 1,2,3 and 4th in advanced will play together, as will golfers placed 5,6,7 and 8th. I enjoy the first round the most as it gives you the chance to play with people you otherwise would not, if youre lucky you can be placed in a foursome with a couple experienced pros.
adidadg

Postby bigs348 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:52 am

adidadg wrote:in the tourneys around here, for the first round only they do random groups of 4 like you said, mixing all of the divisions.

Thats the way that we typically do it around here, too (NJ, NY, PA, DE), but recently I've been in a random grouping within my division (Advanced). So I would play with 3 or 4 other random Advanced guys, and then go according to score the second round. I looked this up, and in the PDGA rulebook it says not to mix divisions if possible (if you have 3 masters, maybe they'd play with the last two Advanced or something, but otherwise stay in divisions). I never knew this was a rule, maybe this was new for 2006? I do miss playing with a random Pro in the first round, and i think this may hurt Intermediate or Recreational players who may not have the tourney experience and know all the rules (marking your lie, falling putt, etc.).
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Kingbee » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:01 am

How do you know what class to play in? I usualy shoot par or a couple shots under. I figure that would be intermediate?
Kingbee
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:23 am

Kingbee wrote:How do you know what class to play in? I usualy shoot par or a couple shots under. I figure that would be intermediate?

This is from the PDGA Classifications and Divisions document. It's a rough guide comparing your skills and how you shoot to your corresponding division. I cut and pasted the Amateur divisions. The whole document can be found here: http://www.pdga.org/documents/05DivisionsGuide.pdf

Advanced - the top amateur division, available to all amateur players. Required division for amateur players born 1966 or later with ratings ? 915. Tournament experienced players who have played disc golf for 3 years or more, and developed consistency. Throw 300-450 feet, make 5-7/10 putts from 25-30 feet, have different shots in their arsenal. Score range: < 59.

Intermediate - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 915. Developing players who have played 2-3 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 250-350 feet, make 5-7/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots. Score range: <63.

Recreational - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 875. For beginning and casual players who are learning basic Frisbee® and disc golf skills. Throw 175-300 feet, make 3-5/10 putts from 20 feet, can throw backhand with some accuracy. Score range: 63+

This is a slightly better guide than just going by par. Courses can vary so much, you never know. The first course I ever played the par was marked at 58. I shot a 59 the very first time I played it (having never picked up a golf disc before), and I haven't shot over a 52 since. My best score is a 40, I typically shoot a 44 or 45 but I don't play there anymore (for obvious reasons). Fast forward three years. My home course now is much tougher and I typically shoot anywhere from 54-62 depending on where the pin placements are on that particular day. So par can vary a good bit.

Anyway, I think you're right that you should probably play Intermediate. You say you haven't been playing long, so Rec might be okay, but I figure if you're on this site looking for technique and disc advice, you're most likely good enough by now to be in Intermediate.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Return to General Discussion