turnover shots

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

turnover shots

Postby nerojr » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:22 am

2 questions.

1. What are the best discs for turnover shots?

2. For right handed players, what is the best way to throw discs and have them turn to the right instead of the left?
nerojr
Noob

2nd question

Postby rodman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:37 am

I'll answer the second question. The "best" way to get a disc to turn right will depend on 1. your skill level 2. the line/path that you can take.

There are several types of shots that turn right for a righty.

Back hand Anheizers, backhand extremely understable discs thrown hard, sidearm hyzers (most sidearmers naturally tend to go right) and sometimes you can get a tommahawk to go right. I'm not the expert here but these are the options for a right turning shot as i know it.
rodman
Noob

Postby krusen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:42 am

The best disc is a disc that will turn right for you consistently if you throw it flat. If you're just starting out that may be hard to find.
As a rule, The more understable a disc is, the lighter a disc is, or the more beat up it is, will make it turn right.
Look for a light, understable disc like a Stingray or a Leopard. If it doesn't turn, beat the hell out of it and it should.
Also, lower end plastic will have less fade (tendency to fall left) at the end of the flight.
For back hand turnover shots I prefer to use a disc that will do it naturally and just throw it flat. You can also throw it with some anhyzer angle if needed.

Learn a forehand shot. It's good to have both a turnover shot and a forehand.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

turnover

Postby trogdor » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:41 pm

The Apple was an excellent turnover! :lol:

I throw two shots that I call turnover shots. The one I use most is thrown flat to slightly anhyzer fairly low that will come back to the left. I throw this shot with Predators, Wraiths and Tee-Birds.

The second turnover is a shot that is released slightly hyzer to flat and turns right (RHBH) and holds the turn the entire flight. I throw a beat Tee-Bird, Cobra or Rhyno for this shot.

Regarding the second question, it depends on how far I need a disc to go to the right. For me, an anhyzer backhand travel further to the right than a forehand, and by extension, the forehand is more predictable a shot than the anhyzer backhand.

A backhand roller will go a long ways to the right but is very unpredictable for me.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:44 pm

A DX Leopard will work nicely, it wont go right very easily when new but it will slowly become your go-to disc for turnover shots. As your skill progresses you will be able to manipulate your throws to have a disc hold a turnover line throughout it's flight, having a disc turnover 50' away from you, 100', 200', 300', as well as if you want it to turn so much it rolls, or hold a gentle annhyzer line till it floats down, or produce a s-flight path. All those shots come with practice though. (For turnovers I'll use a Stingray, used-superbeat Roc or Classic Roc)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:56 pm

my turnover discs, worn x avenger 450-375*, beat S Sabre 375-325*, E/S Element 325-200* (so controlable!), beat Medium wizard 200 and in*

I can throw a sidearm fairly well, but with these discs I am finding my turnovers and annys better in most situations at any range.

enherently stable discs like the sabre and wizard need to be beat a bit more, they will resist turn a while...

Distances as the crow flies, if Im throwing an anny at a pin 200' away, but have to go around or over alot, that could be 325'
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to General Discussion