Really frustrating is...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby coogs » Wed May 31, 2006 6:55 am

Rooster wrote:having your disc held hostage by kids who think they're cool and wanting 10 bucks for it

I'm seriously perplexed by this. In my neck of the woods this isn't a problem at all, so it's shocking to see that this actually happens. What do you do if they won't give the disc back -- just write it off, try and take it back? I mean, really, I'm shocked by this.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Wed May 31, 2006 12:10 pm

it depends on who has, how many of them there are, and who your with. there were 6 of them 2 of us(me and a 13 y/o), and they were jerks.

if it had been only a fe of them i wuld have just grabbed the disc from them and said, "don't be a$$holes." there are a few cool people up there that give you your disc back if your looking for it but then theres these kids. its not a major problem but it still sucks.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Trekari » Wed May 31, 2006 2:59 pm

Rooster wrote:having your disc held hostage by kids who think they're cool and wanting 10 bucks for it

Do you mean that you throw the disc into a river, go to look for it immediately and have kids holding it hostage and refusing to give it to you?

Call the police, or beat the **** out of them.
Trekari
Noob

Postby Rooster » Wed May 31, 2006 3:44 pm

that exactly what i mean. and like i said if i was with one other person who was of age(18+) i would have forced the issue.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:31 pm

Call the cops. End of story. Don't put up with that sh*t from some kids. That's petty theft and the cops will back you. Do that a couple times and it stops happening altogether.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby jHarr » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:12 am

rooster saw your "kids at the bends" post about this on the fsdg site- so f'n lame and karma's a beyotch so I hope they find that out soon
we've been in lansing almost a year and grand woods also attracts these types, though I've never had a blatant hostage-taking (yet)
most of what happens here is prolly in the pond diving thread (got lucky and had a kid sell me my recently lost dBuzz back for a buck :D )

we lived in KC for 2yrs and there never seemed to be the partygolf "casual" presence on the courses there- and there was no real water to collect discs from- the nefarious behavior at their parks was related more toward finding drugs and sex partners (they have cameras at the WW parking areas and a voice recording telling you that your picture has been taken, big brother lookin out for ya...)

so maybe its a regional thing :?:
jHarr
Noob

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:04 am

you know, i wish it wasn't like this. i can't imagine this being a very lucrative business. most of the disc divers around here sell dx and pro d plastic 10 for 10, pro and x for 3 and champ/star for 5. these kids probably don't even disc golf or know a birdie from a firebird......
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mr. Merchant » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:36 pm

the pond rat at one of my local courses will give your disc back if your name is on it. he will bring a big bag and sell the discs he finds out at the course. he charges between $5-7. kid is only 13, hes a little hustler, but hes also pretty damn good at disc golf.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:22 pm

i generally seek out broken in plastic from pond rats.

my fav was them getting super excited when i bought the 3 ugliest discs they had for $5.

they were an ontario roc, a patent pending aero, and a 9x kc roc.

most of the pond fishers nowadays are "in the know" and you'll even see people having territorial disputes.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 pm

really frustating is getting an AM-AM pairing for the third week in a row at the local summer doubles, effectively keeping me out of the running for plastic again. Oh well, at least I had fun with my partner.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:21 am

hey dont get too down, me and a am master took a pro playing cali at doubles monday. in a playoff first hole.
We had to make a 100' birdie putt on 17 to catch up but we did it(I layed up my partner hit it forhand with a roadrunner)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Pagan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:50 am

Pagan wrote:Parking a drive 30' from the basket many times but never duecing it once... Hole 11 @ my home course, ONE DAY I WILL duece it... one day...

Pagan

Woohoo! Yesterday afternoon I broke the curse on hole 11! Finally dueced it. I was so stoked I was woohooing all over the place. Other members of our 6-some were like WTF? My step-son was explaining it to em cause they were thinking I was nuts or something...

Now I just gotta duece holes 12, 13, and 16 on our course...

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Pagan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:00 am

We have a couple of kids in this area that go diving for discs on a regular basis. Most have my cell number and know that I do give "rewards" for retrieving my discs from the water. Since the water here on our course is extremely yucky, and there are lots of sharp hazzards in the muddy bottom I typically give $5 each disc. This works out well for both parties. The local store gives less for the disc, and I spend less trying to replace it. After a few times of doing this I get a couple "freebies". In fact one called my cell two days ago to let me know he found one of my wife's lost discs and to just come get it.

I have to respect these particular kids, as most times they seek out the discs owners and call them without expectation of rewards. I just feel better giving em some cash for their efforts.

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:39 pm

REALLY Frustrating is...

Shooting a really hot round (personal best)
and losing the #5 tag by one stroke
to someone you beat regularly.
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:53 pm

must have been a good day for everyone.
Heres a frustrating one (less relevant), getting addicted to household internet at your fingertips, to having to use the library :evil:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Previous

Return to General Discussion