glow game

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:48 pm

If you want the scientific answer (or the artist answer, I am more an artist than a scientist), not the Ive tried this specific product answer. Red is the most visible band of light to the human eye (why the stop light is red)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Eric O » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:58 pm

red discs don't stand out too well on the ground compared to brighter colors though. :/
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 pm

I agree, its becasue reflected light, but when the color is the light source, especially in the dark I think that would make a difference. white, yellow, bright colors reflect more light.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby distantdg » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:57 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:If you want the scientific answer (or the artist answer, I am more an artist than a scientist), not the Ive tried this specific product answer. Red is the most visible band of light to the human eye (why the stop light is red)

Red is the lowest energy of color, and disrupts your night vision the least.
distantdg
Noob

Postby dave9668 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:41 pm

I play at night about one a week. I use LED lights made by Beacon. They are refills for fishing bobbers. You push the head down to turn the light on and pull it up to turn it off. They say they last for 21hrs. You can find them at play it again sports, if there is one around you or at wal mart. I dont suggest the chemical ones because they dont seem as bright. In my opinion red is the best color. I have used Red, Green, and yellow and Red works the best for me. I also use regular old duct tape and just run a piece across the bottom part and it does not effect the light reflection. Make sure you carry extra tape with you cause if there is any dew on the ground or you get in any water your tape will lose stickyness and you may walk out to where the light is shinning and find only a light.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:35 am

maybe get some of the green reflective tape construction workers use, and people who run/bike at night use. My LED on my champion plastic disc is fine, and I can see it more clearly than any other disc illuminator.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby superq » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:51 am

on clear or at least mostly transparent discs these LED's taped on the underside will light up the rim of the disc and make finding simple, it also seems to effect stability less than taped to the top. The drawback is that it is not as easy to track the disc the entire flight since from your veiwing angle the light will be dimmer than if the led was on top.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby swel304 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:22 pm

there is a glow league starting at my local course soon and i want to go glow discs rather than taping lights on ect... Ive heard the handheld blacklights are the best way to charge a glow, anyone have an opinion there? anyone know the cheapest place to get one? I have an extra bag (small inova starter bag) and I only plan on carrying like2-3 glow discs so I figure I can just stick the blacklight in the bag with them as I'm walking and keep em glowing bright.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:31 pm

I think you should combine the black light idea with whoever had the lights in the bag idea. Mirror the inside of your bag, insert some black lights and your plastic will glow better than anyone out there ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby superq » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:20 am

The bottom line for me was that while yes it was cheaper to use glow discs and my blacklight, it is more practical to tape a light to the top of my disc. We play a lot of glow around here and usually it is with people that do not have a good idea where there disc is going all the time. I throw a little further than most of the people I play with and not trying to brag but am usually throw first or second most of the time (especially at night)

SOOOOO I charge my disc and throw it. then wait for everyone else to throw then help them find there shots and wait for them to throw again, by the time we get to looking for mine it was usually done glowing or at best was very dim...

So LIGHT UP AND FLY ON.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Glock23 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:00 pm

For glow games and tourneys, are the rules for equipment normally waived? It seems the lights taped to a disc would make it illegal for tournament use. I am also going to start customizing a few of my discs so they will have built in lights in the rim. I am going to use them for rec rounds, but would like to use them in an upcoming glow tourney as well. Thanks for the help. I will show some of the lights once I have them installed, still waiting on a few parts.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:50 pm

I am betting they would be allowed
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:06 pm

since this topic has been resurected, i think i should say that i threw a DGA glow fly the other night and it glowed amazingly! i charged it every 4 holes (luckily the 4 hole night golf loop was right near my car). but it glows BRIGHT! the dude at de la veaga who sells them said they have more glow plastic than any other disc... which makes sense since the flight plate is as thick as a hamburger patty.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:48 pm

I think you should combine the black light idea with whoever had the lights in the bag idea. Mirror the inside of your bag, insert some black lights and your plastic will glow better than anyone out there

so I decided to give the glow plastic Idea a shot. I have the glow mrv that glows really well when charged witha blacklight. I got a glow wizard and a photon glow tracker off ebay. I also got a handheld blacklight that should be a pretty good quality here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250040506324&rd=1&rd=1
so now im thinking about lining my smaller bag with reflective material to increase the charging ability. All I can think of is aluminum foil, maybe polished with mothers mag and aluminum polish. the only other idea I had was sheet metal, as its more durable, but i dont really want to risk the cuts and whatnot that may be a problem with that. any better ideas? I know it may not work (the tests Ive done so far with my glow mrv and blacklight have been pretty promising), but I wanted to try a tracker anyway, can never have enough putters, and like to kill time trying new ideas :lol:

edit: as for the aluminum foil idea, I was thinking maybe adhering the foil to somehthing more durable like cardboard tiles or something.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:30 am

You may want to look into a material that is made by 3m. It is called "scotchlite". You can get it in tape or material form, and it should work much better than aluminum foil or hseet metal. It would also be more durable. You can find good deals on it by searching for scotchlite on ebay. Or you could win this auction and start your own business. :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Roll-3M-Reflective-Vinyl-Plotter-Cutter-Scotchlite-15_W0QQitemZ120043262288QQihZ002QQcategoryZ44974QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Hope this helps, and let us know how you bag turns out.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion