Westside Giant

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Giant

Postby money 21 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 pm

i picked a 9/10 164 tourney gaint i can get some good fh distance with it until the fade kicks in the hss is manageable but when the lss hits down it goes. it does really well in the wind.
Last edited by money 21 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 am

Again we now the consistency of the manufacturer. Mine is a TP and still that sucker dumps on me s-curved. Last year i think the longest field s-curves with skips stopped at 380-390' IIRC but with a flat release skips included it was more like 370'. So not that much beyond my Z Pred distance which line driven is just over 350' and s-curves i don't really recall 360-370' maybe.

We have different results with the Forces in that normally it takes heavy headwinds for me to see a difference between the ESP and Z in HSS and both are equally long and yes short for the speed because of the dump fade. Unless they have a lot of headwind. There the added HSS and thinner profile of the Z helps to cut through the wind. The height difference is minute though.

Discspeed has more distance i had last year. Now that i have a later Sword i'm itching to throw it because stand still in a foot of snow showed that it is much longer and probably straighter finishing disc than the FR. Could the same lessening of overstability have happened with the FR Giant vs later ones? Maybe they tweaked the Giant too the owner of Westside Discs said to me that the non FR Swords are less overstable. I cannot tell when i see him the next time but i'd like to ask from the mouth of the man if they changed the Giants.

Frankly the Giant i have is so overstable that i don't normally have use for it because the Force Z can take 99 % of storm headwind shots i've encountered and not flip. And the few flips i've seen are in conditions that i don't normally play in.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:09 am

My Giant is a domey VIP...Personally I don't really care for most GL/TP plastic...It just doesn't feel or fly as well for me as Opto/VIP. Dump fade usually makes me think of a flat disc, where my domey VIP glides like crazy on the fade. I was getting really good spin yesterday, so maybe the Giant needs that to glide.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:42 am

Mine has some ome but it is not tall by any means. Which kinda shoots down another theory. Giant and Sword were released early in the year so the first runs would have most likely been manufactured in cold conditions in the Swedish north. So theoretically the first runs of both could have cooled off domey and high PLH vs a disc manufactured in the summer in easily 60 F higher temps outside. Well of course mine is made in a softer plastic that usually means dropping dome height and PLH. So who knows? It may be unintentional or design that later runs fly different from FRs. If true regarding the Giant later Giants would be more useful for me just like the new Sword seems to be much better than the FR.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am

I'm pretty sure Latitude has some degree of temperature control...I've seen inside their factory and it's very high tech.
discspeed

Postby khmer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Currently I use 170/1g tp sword as my distance driver and it's great. I use 170g gl villain for headwind. Strong headwinds, I'll resort to my 171 opto villain and it works like a charm. If there's a tornado out, I'll bust out my 170 opto xxx.

I'll interested to see if a 170g tp giant will replace my villains as a headwind driver. If need be, pick up a 170 vip giant as well. I just looking for more distance out of this experiment. Worse case senario , I'll stay with my current line up.

Has the giant been anyones headwind driver? If so, please share your thoughts. I'm excited to do some testing.
Giant x2 - King x4 - Sword x2 - Villain - Saint x2 - Saint Pro - Fury - xXx - Warship x3 - Sinus - Pure x3
khmer
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Discspeed thinks that my at the release bought Giant is more overstable than his current production one. I could easily have used mine as a headwind storm disc but didn't because my Force fades later and less being longer. For crazy headwinds Champ Xcaliber is about the same and Star Max is close but Spirits take the role of the shorter but not flipping ever and hard left finishing flight for me. As long as one has a beefy Giant like mine i see no problem in using them as a headwind driver. Somebody wrote here earlier that the Giant is a little more dependable head wind disc than the Villain. I would not wonder if they came from the same mold. Mind you that does not make them the same disc necessarily because there are other ways of changing the shape of the disc that could be applied too.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:06 am

I haven't looked at the specs, but I can tell you from throwing them both that the Giant has a wider rim than the Villain and so it is faster and longer.
discspeed

Postby khmer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 am

thanks for the info. yeah, I know the specs. for both villain and giant and that's why i'm considering the giant to possible replace the villain. I'll be doing some field work and play some rounds with it to get a feel for the giant.

I may also try a 165g yellow tp giant as well just to compare to the 170 blue tp giant. They both have a gradual dome, definitely not flat.
Giant x2 - King x4 - Sword x2 - Villain - Saint x2 - Saint Pro - Fury - xXx - Warship x3 - Sinus - Pure x3
khmer
Noob

Postby kern9787 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Forgive me if I missed it in this thread somewhere, but has anybody else had their giant (VIP in my case) suddenly lose a TON of HSS?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 pm

kern9787 wrote:Forgive me if I missed it in this thread somewhere, but has anybody else had their giant (VIP in my case) suddenly lose a TON of HSS?

had you deflashed the disc before throwing?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Re: Westside Giant

Postby kern9787 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:22 am

keltik wrote:
kern9787 wrote:Forgive me if I missed it in this thread somewhere, but has anybody else had their giant (VIP in my case) suddenly lose a TON of HSS?

No, but I also have trouble imagining natural deflating of the disc making this big if a difference. Mine is now less HSS than a seasoned wraith. That just seems wrong.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 pm

kern9787 wrote:
keltik wrote:

No, but I also have trouble imagining natural deflating of the disc making this big if a difference. Mine is now less HSS than a seasoned wraith. That just seems wrong.

Doubly wrong for me having a release day bought more overstable disc than what others have described.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby kern9787 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:53 pm

JR wrote:Doubly wrong for me having a release day bought more overstable disc than what others have described.

Mine started out very overstable. I loved it. I could throw it hard and flat, and it would barely reach 400', if it managed to go that far, and the last 30% of the flight or so was in LSS. Now I have to throw it with a bit of hyzer and have to worry about a possible turn and burn.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 am

oh wow this is weird...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment