Star Starfire is VERY overstable

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Star Starfire is VERY overstable

Postby twmccoy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:32 pm

Took a star starfire out for a few throws the other day and from the first toss I knew this disc was an anomaly. It is easily as overstable as a firebird or predator and has little glide. It is far more overstable than the star wraith.

If you plan on buying one of these, just know that you won't get that long straight flight, like all the other starfires. It is a decent disc for strong headwinds though. For calm conditions you will definitely need something else for big yardage.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby zealot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:35 pm

haha found that out (i was a noob looking for a pretty long , straight disc,,, this is not even in my bag now)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby krusen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm really liking the ch Starfire I bought a month ago. My Pro wraith may be getting demoted.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby mothrows » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:07 pm

I hated my star "starfire" so much that I gave it to a friend to throw in a pond. It was the most finicky disc I've ever thrown. Overstable it was not!
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby zealot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:45 pm

i dont think it was that mine was overstable all the time... just when it felt like it. i feel like im trying to throw a log when i throw this disc. all bad for me. : /

makes me not wanna pick up a star wraith even though i actually throw the dx ones...
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

star starfire

Postby twmccoy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:36 am

My star starfire is not finicky or anything. It just flat out does not fly. All it wants to do is fade, right out of my hand. BTW, I also throw a star wraith and like it far more. Oh well, at least I didn't pay for the star starfire (or any disc for that matter). The star SL is far better. It will at least go in a straight line.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:22 pm

the star starfire has a rim stabilizer (notch) at the wing.

this makes it behave more high speed stable and fade slightly earlier than discs without it.

i am going to wager this is the altitude coming into effect, as tw has made similar statements about nearly every disc that has this kind of rim configuration.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Fritz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:33 am

Blake_T wrote:the star starfire has a rim stabilizer (notch) at the wing.

this makes it behave more high speed stable and fade slightly earlier than discs without it.

i am going to wager this is the altitude coming into effect, as tw has made similar statements about nearly every disc that has this kind of rim configuration.

It has to be the altitude. There was this father/son team that came thru here on their way to worlds and they played in the Mile High Classic. They were having such a hard time throwing because they kept trying to get things to hyzer flip, and because of how much more over stable discs are. After about 5 - 6 Holes they finally listened to me and pulle dout the more understable discs and everything was ok again. It was funny watching them throw a predator with some nice amount of hyzer then watchign it soar WAY to the right.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Return to Equipment