Discmania

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:30 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:
Furthur wrote:The CD looks like a Valk Bottom and TeeWrecks top. It had a pretty blunt nose, which makes it great for rolling, while getting good glide in the air. It's very easy to throttle down on the disc for some 50% control shots too.

The CD is a Firebird bottom with a top that's unknown to me. It feels beefy in the hand. Basicly, it feels like a teebird as far as it's height, but has the firebird core, which makes the rim a little wider. It seems to have more dome than a Starfire as well.

As far as your question about throwing the CD and PD, here's my current driver setup. I would probably put my Pred back in and add a big D driver once I gain a full understanding of how the PD flies. It does hold up pretty well into a headwind. I can pretty much throw most of the shots I need with this driver setup.

Sabre
Blaze

CD
PD

Thanks. They have a great view of the cd on the website and that's what I thought as well (the valk bottom). I want to try em all. CD, DD and PD.

I have an unthrown DD at home, and it feels good in the hand. I just wish it had more dome.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Furthur wrote:
TeamTollandDG wrote:
Furthur wrote:The CD looks like a Valk Bottom and TeeWrecks top. It had a pretty blunt nose, which makes it great for rolling, while getting good glide in the air. It's very easy to throttle down on the disc for some 50% control shots too.

The CD is a Firebird bottom with a top that's unknown to me. It feels beefy in the hand. Basicly, it feels like a teebird as far as it's height, but has the firebird core, which makes the rim a little wider. It seems to have more dome than a Starfire as well.

As far as your question about throwing the CD and PD, here's my current driver setup. I would probably put my Pred back in and add a big D driver once I gain a full understanding of how the PD flies. It does hold up pretty well into a headwind. I can pretty much throw most of the shots I need with this driver setup.

Sabre
Blaze

CD
PD

Thanks. They have a great view of the cd on the website and that's what I thought as well (the valk bottom). I want to try em all. CD, DD and PD.

I have an unthrown DD at home, and it feels good in the hand. I just wish it had more dome.

Want to trade it? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8736
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby chainsmoker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:43 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:
chainsmoker wrote:The PD does feel and fly like a longer more stable Teebird. I've only thrown the PD in the field and on the course the past two days. I'm a Predator and a Teebird thrower and I would say it is also not unlike a broken in Z Predator. It is nice that it can be mentioned in the same group with two of the best discs ever made.

I throw both of those discs, the predator and the teebird. They are my two most used drivers. Do you think this disc has a spot in the bag along with these?

I carry 2Preds and 2Teebirds. Depending on my mood I also carry a broken in Z Pred or a brand new Champion Teebird to bridge between the Teebird and Predators. That is the slot the PD fits in new. I think with some use it could move into the Teebird slot but the PD does not have the overstability to compete with new or slightly seasoned Predators. If the PD breaks in slow enough it might just stay in that middle spot.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc junkie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:01 pm

PD = Longer TB.........However its not significant. I found I can get my TB out just as far just not on a low line. The only reason I really ever threw my PDs were if I needed more distance than my TBs on a lower line or if I needed a lil more of a flex shot.

It will not handle a FB/Pred headwind but it will hold up to a milid headwind pretty nicely.

Out of all the Discmania I have thrown which is the CD, PD and DD the PD was the most useful.

DD = super sweet plastic. Its very similar in HSS (just a tad less) to the Teerex but less LSS. It truly is right in between the Teerex and Wraith. I could always throw my DD longer han any Teerex but they were never as long as my Wraiths.

The only reason the DD never found a true spot in my bag was because it is on the flatter side. I like my distance drivers to be DOMEY.

CD = I cant really comment too much. It never really wowed me. I do think it would be an excellent roller due to the blunt nose. It didnt impress me enough to remove my TBs. It just comes down to preference.

Just my .02
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:07 pm

I replaced my Valk with a CD. Since newer big D drivers have come out, I wanted to have a controllable distance driver with as much LSS with less HSS.
Timko

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 pm

disc junkie wrote:PD = Longer TB.........However its not significant. I found I can get my TB out just as far just not on a low line. The only reason I really ever threw my PDs were if I needed more distance than my TBs on a lower line or if I needed a lil more of a flex shot.

It will not handle a FB/Pred headwind but it will hold up to a milid headwind pretty nicely.

Out of all the Discmania I have thrown which is the CD, PD and DD the PD was the most useful.

DD = super sweet plastic. Its very similar in HSS (just a tad less) to the Teerex but less LSS. It truly is right in between the Teerex and Wraith. I could always throw my DD longer han any Teerex but they were never as long as my Wraiths.

The only reason the DD never found a true spot in my bag was because it is on the flatter side. I like my distance drivers to be DOMEY.

CD = I cant really comment too much. It never really wowed me. I do think it would be an excellent roller due to the blunt nose. It didnt impress me enough to remove my TBs. It just comes down to preference.

Just my .02

Is the PD longer than the Striker you've been throwing?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby disc junkie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:17 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:
disc junkie wrote:PD = Longer TB.........However its not significant. I found I can get my TB out just as far just not on a low line. The only reason I really ever threw my PDs were if I needed more distance than my TBs on a lower line or if I needed a lil more of a flex shot.

Just my .02

No...but thats mainly because I throw them on totally different line.

The Striker has more Glide and is less HSS so it has a lot more distance potential. I think the PD and Striker compliment each other well. The PD is more stable so itll be better into the headwinds.

The Striker though...I have a man crush with right now. The more I throw it the more I love it. I just parked a 415 hole (almost ace) with it on a nice gentle hyzer flip to anny shot.

Back to the point the PD and Striker are just too different to really compare but as far as distance goes, my Striker is longer
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:28 am

disc junkie wrote:
TeamTollandDG wrote:

Just my .02

No...but thats mainly because I throw them on totally different line.

The Striker has more Glide and is less HSS so it has a lot more distance potential. I think the PD and Striker compliment each other well. The PD is more stable so itll be better into the headwinds.

The Striker though...I have a man crush with right now. The more I throw it the more I love it. I just parked a 415 hole (almost ace) with it on a nice gentle hyzer flip to anny shot.

Back to the point the PD and Striker are just too different to really compare but as far as distance goes, my Striker is longer

Thanks that's what I was looking for. I've got a DD and a PD on the way to try out.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby Timko » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:36 am

I think the PD can be huge on flex lines. It has such a long fade after the flex that just keeps going forward while fading. The flex portion of the disc is quite long as well.

I do need to get my hands on one of those Strikers though. I don't really want to mess around with my bag right now, but I could see it replacing both the Sabre and the CD.
Timko

Postby disc junkie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 am

The Striker Replaced my TLs and is getting thrown a LOT more than my TBs.

You are right about the flex shots with the PD, you can definitely get some D with enough room. The PD really is a sweeeeet discs and can replace a lot of molds in most peoples bags.
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:42 am

I got a couple of PDs in other other day and i got to say I really like it. It is a great moderate headwind disc and is really versatile. The problem is that it is close enough to the SOLF that I don't know if I can really justify carrying both. I especially see the PD throwing like an orion once it breaks in.

It also makes a pretty good flick disc.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Frank_Delicious wrote:I got a couple of PDs in other other day and i got to say I really like it. It is a great moderate headwind disc and is really versatile. The problem is that it is close enough to the SOLF that I don't know if I can really justify carrying both. I especially see the PD throwing like an orion once it breaks in.

It also makes a pretty good flick disc.

you could rock both but it would be like carrying a TB and eagle or a wraith and teerex, aka you can get it all done with one or the other. i chose the PD and ive been loving it, the pro plastic ones need to come out like NOW though, i need some to fill my MOLF slot
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:23 am

I think the PD might be too similar to the starfire for me to make the change. I'll get some PD's eventually, but I rarely use overstable discs so it's not a high priority.

I've played a few rounds with the DD and I'm very impressed so far. It's quite similar to the orc in the hand, but it's longer and slightly more stable. The wing is very similar to the orc, just slightly wider. So far it's consistently 20 ft. longer than my normal max distance, which is around 380 right now with the orc. This disc also skips a bit more than I would like, but it could be used as an advantage if you aim correctly.

I think innova might be onto something with their tweaked molds for discmania. It seems like dave is making his own pet project discs, he seems to love the PD from what I've read on the pdga forums.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JimW » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:08 pm

So the CD is apparently like a longer TL, though I haven't thrown TLs so that doesn't mean a lot to me. Is it closer to a Teebird (straight shots/holding a line only) or an Eagle (workable to different flight patterns)?
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Star Shark » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:45 pm

The CD is a Viking with more glide. A bit more stable than a Valk. The Striker is right along those same lines.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment