DX TB lost its stability?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DX TB lost its stability?

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:48 pm

I know, i know, blame my form, but i never flipped it before, and im not doing anything different. I can throw my Pro TL bullet straight, and i dont flip my wizards or my 'Buzzzen', its only this TB. the thing is, its only a month old, and its verry dissapointing. I can get it to fly flat thrown with a lot of finesse, but it dosent even fly like a teebird anymore. It will flip up just like it used to, but now it just goes past flat and turns right, and of course never fades back. Im throwing it with probably 60* of hyzer also...

I thought this was soposed to be a disc than never turned, no matter how old?

this isnt necessarily a bad thing, because im just planning on taking the Valk out of the bag and carying 3 teebirds in different stages. Its just suprising, thats all..
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:49 pm

OK, so maybe its 2 months old, but still...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:12 pm

even if it dosnt have any visual wear it is probably warped some. I have teebirds that will flip up and turn, but they do so predictably. Ive found newer teebirds although physically dont get beat as fast, they fly like it sooner, I have one that still looks newish that will flatten from 50 degrees and turn alittle, and an old beat teebird that flies nearly identical, at least I have a backup. ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Solty » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:17 pm

i carry a beatup champ tb.....hit quite a many number of trees...then when thrown flat at 60% or more...it will turn on me.....its my finesse tunnel driver

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:20 pm

i had always figured it would take me much longer than one summer to turn a new TB into a finnesse turnover driver. like i said, i have a use for it, but the way im going, ill be geting a new driver every month! i guess i should just try to drive around trees from now on, rather than my current strategy of plowing through them. haha.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

DX teebird

Postby twmccoy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:22 pm

DX plastic is really finicky and seems to change in flight even if the disc looks OK. Your best bet would be to try a star or champion teebird, unless you feel like buying a new one and having it do the same thing every month or two. Throw a DX orc sometime. It won't even take a month for it to start flying crazily.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: DX teebird

Postby Solty » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:33 pm

twmccoy wrote:Throw a DX orc sometime. It won't even take a month for it to start flying crazily.

Exactly!!! no more DX orcs for me...WAY to easily broken...
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:35 pm

i may eventually give the star a try, but i dont like the champion TB at all. Its a completely different disc, and i expect the Star will be too, But you never know untill you try.

Ill just cycle DX plastic like everyone else :roll:
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:46 pm

dx orcs are the disc that breaks in the fastest, you could take one to the practice field for the day and by the end of the day its a good turnover driver.

star and champ teebirds do not fly like dx teebirds.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: DX TB lost its stability?

Postby the invisible tree » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:54 pm

jgarcia9102 wrote:

I'm having this same problem and am a bit disappointed as well. I find that the flatter teebirds seem to hold their high speed stability longer. A new domey DX Tbird around 170g is about as close to a perfect disc as there is but It'll only be good for around a month before it starts to turn over.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby MrTasses » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:41 pm

I can say that the Star TB is a very very different disc than a DX tbird. I currently use my star tb as a spike/hyzer disc. It will fly flat if thrown with authority but fades pretty hard at the end of it's flight.

the Champ Tbird is what I have heard is the Tbird that is really the "never ever turns over" Tbird. I think the star would be the same way, but in both cases you are sacrificing a lot of the glide the DX has.

DX tbirds I find to make excellent right turning drivers or finesse straight drivers after about 50 rounds of heavy use. And even though I'm throwing my current DX tbirds with finesse, they haven't really lost distance.

Plus, I would rather cycle DX plastic and know that if I lose one, I can just grab the next disc up or down in wear and not really miss a beat that round.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:59 pm

Yea, i never did like the fade of a Champ Teebird, it just seemed like it should be named something entirely different since it required being thrown in such a diffrent way.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:10 pm

a disc that never loses stability doesn't exist.

how many teebirds were you carrying? and how often were you throwing it?

my dx teebirds generally lasted me 14-18 months stable of 5+ rounds a week.

they don't generally lose their stability until they warp or lose the notch on the wing.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:22 pm

i had 2, but for the past month this was the only one i carried (traded TDK the other one)

and i didnt litterally mean it NEVER looses stability, but i know its not old enough to loose the notch on the wing or get any serious nicks that would affect it this drastically. in the past week it because twice as broken in as it was before (meaning i use twice as much hyzer now, and now that seems to not even be enough) and i thought that kinda contradicted everything that i have heard about the DX Teebird.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:53 pm

Blake_T wrote:my dx teebirds generally lasted me 14-18 months stable of 5+ rounds a week.

But how often do you hit trees with them? Those of us in AM3 are rather prone to getting (more than) a little 'tree love' in an average round... :wink:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Equipment