DX TB lost its stability?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:59 pm

heh, just about anyone that plays seriously will break a dx teebird in in a month if:

1) they only carry 1
2) they throw it on a significant number of holes per round (more than 1/3)

so basically, you just learned the lesson of why you don't ever carry just 1.

let's say you carried 5. it would probably take 3 months to get any noticeable change out of any one of them.

But how often do you hit trees with them?

i hit plenty of trees as i play wooded courses. i also play w/ a practice mentality, so i throw a lot of shots that hit stuff i'd rather avoid (e.g. asphalt because i took the hard line over a parking lot).

the farther you can throw, the harder you drill trees as well.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Solty » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Blake_T wrote:...the farther you can throw, the harder you drill trees as well.

Amen brotha
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:51 pm

Peronally, I've found that when my teebirds start flipping over, I am torquing them. I refocus and slow down a bit and really concentrate on moving my shoulders throught the plane of the hyzer and the teebirds go back to straight for me. It takes a whole lot of tree hits for one of my birds to start to be really flippy. I carry three dx and one star and haven't had to rotate a new one in for months.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Weebl » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:55 pm

i beat the shit out of plastic, and dont rotate them as i should and my 4 month old DX Teebird takes a good 70-80 degrees of hyzer to flip to only flat It's my finesse driver, for narrow fairways, certain distance shots and in an open field is my farthest flying, as I can get some height on it which reduces the amount of hyzer i need to put on it and let it go straight forever. It's teaching me how to throw high and nose down which is interesting...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:43 am

I found the Teebirds in the new DX plastic to be much domier, and therefore less stable. Good glide though.

They need to make a flattop DX Teebird.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:01 pm

the only flat-tops were the 11x KC and very late run 10x.

dx teebirds have always been domier. the newer plastic teebirds have a different dome (it starts earlier on the flight plate) but reaches the same overall dome height as older dx teebirds.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

champ teebird

Postby twmccoy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 pm

jgarcia9102 wrote:i may eventually give the star a try, but i dont like the champion TB at all. Its a completely different disc, and i expect the Star will be too, But you never know untill you try.

Ill just cycle DX plastic like everyone else :roll:

I agree on the champ teebird. I have never gotten a decent flight from one of those. They seem really overstable and don't glide well.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Weebl » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:16 am

They don't go as far or as predictable, i have one broken in but it is so sensetive to hyzer angles
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:42 am

Blake_T wrote:heh, just about anyone that plays seriously will break a dx teebird in in a month if:

1) they only carry 1
2) they throw it on a significant number of holes per round (more than 1/3)

so basically, you just learned the lesson of why you don't ever carry just 1.

let's say you carried 5. it would probably take 3 months to get any noticeable change out of any one of them.

Ah. Well that explains what I've been seeing out of my one and only DX Teebird... :oops:

:lol:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jones » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:57 am

I've got a domey 11x, its the only one I've seen that was domey. All others I've seen were flat. I've also got a flat x-out 150 Teebird that is rediculously overstable. It is an opaque plastic, wondering if it is an x-out 11x or something.

You were right about that flimsy DX plastic, I threw my fresh ones against those and they are completely different. Even one of the harder dx ones that has seen a few trees flies much better than the teebirds of the flimsy dx.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:31 pm

I've got two cents to add to this topic:

Now that I'm throwing lots of dx teebirds, I'm losing and replacing lots of them. I've noticed a few differences. I like the older, softer dx plastic for turnover/finess teebirds. Once they're intially seasoned, they stay the same for a long time and are very predictable once you learn the disc well.

The newer dx plastic is a bit faster than the old imho, and I agree that they are a tad HS understable when new. They are great s-curve drivers.

Once broken in, the new and old fly very similarly, except for speed. I love 'em.

If anyone has any dx teebirds to trade, I've got a closet full of plastic that I don't throw, just let me know what you're looking for by PM.
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby bigs348 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:51 am

This is somewhat related to the topic:

Has anyone thrown the Glow Teebirds? I was wondering if they're the same plastic as DX (just with glow crap added), and if they fly the same.

I just received a Glow TB I'd ordered, but haven't had the chance to throw it. Next to a new DX TB, the flight plate of the Glow feels thicker, but maybe it's just the slightly different plastic.

Thanks.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:59 am

I have a glow teebird, but haven't thrown it much since I've never played a glow round. :wink:

I've thrown it in the field a bit just to test it out. Aside from the feel of the plastic, I don't notice much difference in this disc. It is pretty new, so it's still very stable/overstable for me and my Jr. Girls League arm. :lol:

I will agree that the flightplate does feel a bit thicker than a regular DX teebird, but this could just be due to the glow agent. The plastic does feel a bit more textured, even a tad rougher than regular DX...but this is true of both my Innova glow discs (Teebird and Roc)

To me, it's still a Teebird at heart.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:33 pm

if it accually has more mass on the flightplate than a dx teebird wouldnt it fade later ( reason why sabres have thick flight plates and narrow rims)?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: DX TB lost its stability?

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:12 pm

jgarcia9102 wrote:I thought this was soposed to be a disc than never turned, no matter how old?
I have a stack of them, all beat to shit. Once they get like this they don't come back if they are flipped. How you get them flipped over in the first place, that's another story. :wink:
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment