Bag help

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag help

Postby zealot » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:48 pm

175g - Pro KC Roc (loving this disc)
170g - Star Aviar (all i can say is gzzzzzZ)

169g - Pro Teebird L (straight go-to driver, little fade which i like)
167g - DX Wraith (BH and FH)
175g - DX Wraith (exclusively sidearm shots)
175g - Star Teerex (headwind driver)

i have a star starfire,,, would that fit the bill for an overstable driver? some talk about this disc like its a longer tl and other people say its really overstable... whats the deal?

also, any comments or criticisms are welcome, im only 2 weeks into this game.... i throw the roc as much as possible, and im starting to throw the aviar on more of my approaches. i throw the roc off the tee a lot. my forehand is really strong for a beginner so i havent had a need for an understable driver yet...
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Weebl » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:21 am

Starfires, especially in star plastic take a lot of snap to throw and get desired flight. Like a Champion Teebird, Champion and Star Starfires are fairly more overstable than innovas ratings but i can't wait for it to come out in DX.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:33 am

a starfire would compliment the teerex fairly well as they are different types of overstable drivers.

teerex's have late fade. starfires fade a bit earlier but also fade less.

having a good sidearm doesn't replace learning how to throw an anhyzer/turnover.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby didihitatree » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:34 am

It depends, I guess. I've thrown a wraith a few times and it is more overstable for me because I can't throw it hard enough. But if you have the power, a Starfire should be more overstable than the wraith especially in Star plastic.

It's all a bit confusing. The Pro Starfire is the longer version of the TL. When Innova makes it in Star plastic, it's the SL-- which underscores the fact that the SL is to the Starfire what the Teebird is to the TL. Someone can correct me on this, but when the TL first came out, I think it was just a regular CE Teebird and then the Pro Teebird and it wasn't until later that they designated it as a Teebird-L and made two molds in all kinds of plastic.

If you've only been playing a short time, I'm kind of surprised that you can throw a Wraith. I admit I'm a sissy thrower, so I'm not doubting you. I wouldn't even attempt to throw a Trex.

Still, you might want to take a few throws with a Banshee just to make sure. There's a difference in control between throwing a disc at the right speed that is designed to be overstable vs throwing a disc that ends up overstable because you don't throw it with enough power/nosedown.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:37 am

It depends, I guess. I've thrown a wraith a few times and it is more overstable for me because I can't throw it hard enough. But if you have the power, a Starfire should be more overstable than the wraith especially in Star plastic.

this is a case of breaking down stability:

star stafires will ALWAYS be more high speed stable than wraiths, but they will appear similar for players throwing under 350'.

wraiths will be more overstable at low speeds for players throw under 450', starfires will be more overstable at low speeds for players throwing over 450'.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Sokpuppet » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:36 am

You need a Wizard. :wink:

Actually, there's probably not that great of a difference in flight characteristic between a star aviar and a wizard, come to think of it.
Sokpuppet
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:06 pm

Sokpuppet wrote:You need a Wizard. :wink:

Actually, there's probably not that great of a difference in flight characteristic between a star aviar and a wizard, come to think of it.
They have extremely similar flightpaths.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zealot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:37 pm

yea i love the star aviar....i havent thrown a wizard but the aviar is a really true flyer and shows no signs of wear whatsoever. i hit a lot of 15-20 ft putts today and one 30 or so...

so i had some more great 'luck' as some call it today

im playing with random guy from the course who was also trodding alone when i ran into him. i explain my bag and mention i need an understable driver. he offers me a pretty much brand new champion sidewinder and when i glance down i'm like, 'sorry i dont have anything to trade'.

'its ok you can just have it', he says

disc golfers are very cool people. ive witnessed a few other random gifts on the course. (nothing given to me , but all very nice gestures)

anyways, i can add that to my bag now, as well as my star starfire to compliment the teerex.

looks pretty full, i dont think i'll need anything else for a while,,, except more copies of the stuff i'm throwing (more kc rocs to start breaking in a second one soon)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:56 pm

Blake_T wrote:having a good sidearm doesn't replace learning how to throw an anhyzer/turnover.

I'll agree with that. A sidearm and an anhyzer/turnover backhand shot have very different flight paths...so much so that sometimes only one of the two is usable.

Your Teebird-L should make a great anny/turnover disc once it gets too beat up to be used as a dependable straight driver. Thrown hard with lots of snap and a flat (or slight anhyzer) release it should go out straight for the high-speed portion of the flight and then start to turn to the right instead of the left as it slows down and lands.

It's truly a beautiful thing when done right. :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:31 pm

Some advice I'll offer since you're 2 weeks into the game, Take the wraiths out of your bag. Your not gonna get the most out of that disc until you develop a big arm throw.

And keep throwing the hell out of that Roc. If you get good with that Roc, everything else will fall into place.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby zealot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:36 pm

i use the wraiths on the many holes that i need a right turn, and its working for me. it helped me get 3 birdies in a row on the same hole (the last 3 times i went through the course today) i like the wraith because the fade is so predictable for me.

id like to note that i do throw hyzers and anhyzers and that i am learning them. i didnt say sidearm was a substitute, but it works well in many situations for me.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:43 pm

lock-off wrote:id like to note that i do throw hyzers and anhyzers and that i am learning them. i didnt say sidearm was a substitute, but it works well in many situations for me.

That's good...as long as you learn both and know when to use one over the other.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby zealot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:54 pm

175g - Pro KC Roc (throwing this for all approaches outside of 40 ft)
170g - Star Aviar (working very well, great inside 25 ft.)

169g - Pro Teebird L (straight go-to driver, little fade which i like)
167g - DX Wraith (BH and FH)
175g - DX Wraith (headwinds; usually thrown FH)
170g - Star Starfire (overstable driver, earlier fade)
175g - Star Teerex (overstable driver, late fade)
172g - Champion Sidewinder (understable driver)

so with the random generosity of a free driver this is my bag now. i want to point out how much i do throw my roc. in an avg. round ill use the starfire and teerex maybe once. i only use the wraiths for headwinds or to hold certain hyzer lines. i seem to have some amount of accurate distance with the sidewinder. its not understable enough to pull all the way back so it just helps straighten my shot out. should i use this disc more often for straight drives? i just need a better explanation of what this disc does. i throw the teebird BH or FH off of most tees right now...im gonna throw the starfire and the teerex here and there and choose one that i like better
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:36 pm

Yeah, it is awesome when someone just wants to help you out and expects nothing in return. I always try and help out others, I figure it all comes back in the end, and usually more than you gave. For an understable driver, I like leopards and beat valks, but that is just my opinion. I had just bought a lot of discs on ebay, one of which was a 144g dx valk. I used it tonight and it was fun to turn over and watch it glide forever.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby zealot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:09 pm

yeah ive pulled some discs out for people and i pick up trash on the course all the time... got 2 discs in 2 days and they were discs i wanted :D
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment