what disc would fit this role/help me revamp my bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

what disc would fit this role/help me revamp my bag

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:51 am

Some background: I'm only 16 years old, 5'7",125 pounds with a golf d of 290-310 ft (last few rounds it has been getting consistently a bit longer) all coming from velocity even though I have been trying to get some snap for the last 2 months.

Disclaimer: I prefer innova and am trying to go to all dx.
My current bag:
174g Z Predator (newish)
174g Dx Firebird (newish)
174g Z Crush (newish)
168g Dx Beast (broken in)
174g Dx Beast (broken in)
174g Dx Beast (beat)
173g Dx Wraith (broken in)
166g Dx Wraith (beat)
170g Dx Teebird (broken in)
174g Dx Teebird (broken in)
177g 10x Kc Pro Roc (beat)
170g Dx Roc (thrashed, wouldn't trade this for the world, my best disk)
174g Dx Roc (newish)
174g Firm Wizard (broken in)
172g Medium Wizard (broken in)

Other disks I have to work with that are sitting in my closet:
170g Dx Gator (newish)
167g Dx Cheetah (broken in)
170g Dx Leopard (broken in)
172g Dx Leopard (beat, was one of my first disks)

After reading a post by Blake awhile ago where he talks about how people throw too fast of drivers and how much it hurts them I've decided that I was one of those people and am interested in changing that.

I have started this by not using my beast or wraith or any of the overstable drivers for my last few rounds and I parked a hole today (within 2 ft) with my 170 teebird (although I'm cheating on this a bit as according to blake i should only be using speed 6 disks and the tb is 7 :lol: ) that I had never gotten closer than 50-60 ft before with my wraith or beast.

I'm planning on dumping all the overstable drivers as I just don't have the power to throw them and they haven't really done anything for me so far.

I also plan on dumping the Wraiths and possibly the Beast but I'm looking for a good replacement turnover driver (although slower than the beast).

Another hole I noticed today is that I dont really have a disk that with my power I can throw out 50 ft on a hyzer and have it come back holding the same line the whole time. As this was the ideal line for the hole I was on I was forced to pull out my champion orc and threw it within 25 feet but I would like the dx alternative for this disk. Any suggestions?
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Sokpuppet » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:21 am

Try breaking the leopards out of the closet, for turnover drivers. One of my favorite flippy discs.

I don't entirely understand the shot that you're describing. Could you clarify a bit, please? :wink:
Sokpuppet
Noob

Re: what disc would fit this role/help me revamp my bag

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:38 am

alphafrolfer wrote:
Another hole I noticed today is that I dont really have a disk that with my power I can throw out 50 ft on a hyzer and have it come back holding the same line the whole time. As this was the ideal line for the hole I was on I was forced to pull out my champion orc and threw it within 25 feet but I would like the dx alternative for this disk. Any suggestions?

DX Banshee.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jones » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:03 am

I used to throw DX Beasts around but switched to DX Valkyries. I find them more easily controllable around the ~300 foot range.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 am

overlap:

z pred and dx firebird
z crush and dx wraith
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:22 pm

you need a DX gazelle or D cyclcone ;)
both should be right there with your range (plus in time you'll be able to throw them really far since they'll teach you good form). they're versatile. a little bit of high speed turn with a predictable fade... very consistent.

i would choose either the beast or the wraith as a "max D" driver (probably the DX wraith if i was choosing). but i personally just throw my control driver (dx eagle and dx teebird) for max D and don't fret it.

you should carry an overstable disc for those certain situations. this is a spot in my bag i've gotten much better at using lately. it's fun to learn how to make overstable stuff weave through windows... and they're useful shots to know. i use my overstable disc for drives all the way to approaches.

try to pick just what you need and really get to know your discs.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:38 pm

The gazelle just seems like a slower teebird too me, what purpose would it serve? Also what would the d cyclone do for me?

I'm thinking of something like this:

172g Dx Banshee
170g Dx Leopard (broken in)
172g Dx Leopard (beat, was one of my first disks)
170g Dx Teebird (broken in)
174g Dx Teebird (broken in)
177g 10x Kc Pro Roc (beat)
170g Dx Roc (thrashed, wouldn't trade this for the world, my best disk)
174g Dx Roc (newish)
174g Firm Wizard (broken in)
172g Medium Wizard (broken in)
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Jones » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:00 pm

Was the Z Predator or Firebird not overstable enough? I'd figure the Z Predator would hold a hyzer line thrown 50 feet the right just fine.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:02 pm

The z predator was plenty overstable I just can't throw it very far at all for some reason, the same goes for the crush and firebird.
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:12 pm

alphafrolfer wrote:The gazelle just seems like a slower teebird too me, what purpose would it serve? Also what would the d cyclone do for me?

the gazelle and the cyclone are essentially the same disc. both are much easier to flatten from a hyzer than a teebird... and they have a more pronounced fade than a teebird. both of these characteristics make them easier to throw and more versatile than a teebird. the DX teebirds don't flip too much (until very beaten) and don't fade too much... good for holding a line all flight.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:23 pm

My gazelles go almost as far as my teebirds and to me have less fade, more glide and are easier to control in narrow situations.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:07 pm

"Hi, my name is B.O.B. and I'm a recovering torque monkey. Its been 38 days since I've had a torque. I still think about having a torque every day."

Group: "Hi, Bob!"
-----

Seriously, I just went through what you are about to embark on. I highly recommend it. You should be throwing the dx teebirds, dx roc, and your putter of choice. Learn to make these discs FLY, and you will be on your way.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=718

read this thread, its contents have helped me tremendously.

You will be frustrated at first, but the changes begin to take hold in a matter of a few months, and it is oh SO worth it! Trust me, and Blake.

Eventually, you will want to add a couple of discs, but you should first LEARN those three molds: dx TB, dx roc, putter.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Thanks Blake!

8)
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Return to Equipment