Slower disc for hyzer flips

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Slower disc for hyzer flips

Postby alphafrolfer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:39 am

In the process of doing things right and removing all discs that are greater than speed 7 (i throw 95% dx) and stick with teebirds as my main driver (with I can actually flatten unlike my wraith, resulting in an extra 40 ft of distance) I had to take out my dx beast that I used for hyzer flips.

Im looking for a fairway driver to use for hyzer flips. Mainly one shot in particular at a local course where I basically have the beast turn over slightly at the last 50 ft of its flight which resulted in me winning both skins on that hole the other day at league.

On another note whats a good slower disc to hold a large hyzer line (basically a disk to replace my z predator). I know Bradley Walker recommended a Dx banshee which I'm looking into, any other recommendations?

Also flattened hyzers are my new favorite thing.
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:23 am

to compliment the teebird you may want to check into a polaris ls or JLS.

as for the hyzer line, why are you replacing the predator?
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

midrange

Postby twmccoy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:03 am

You might also try a leopard or cheetah. Both are pretty good hyzer flip fairway drivers. If you want something a little slower, get a glide. Very good hyzerflip midrange.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: Slower disc for hyzer flips

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:22 am

alphafrolfer wrote:On another note whats a good slower disc to hold a large hyzer line (basically a disk to replace my z predator). I know Bradley Walker recommended a Dx banshee which I'm looking into, any other recommendations?

The Banshee is like a TeeBird+ for stability but is not as long.

THE X PREDATOR (not Z) is my recomendation if you stay with the Pred. Look for a Blue 169 to start. A Z would take a lot of arm.

The D Reaper is very throwable, but I think the X Pred is a a tick more predictable and definately longer. The Reaper is very much like a Banshee.

As for SLOW disc that will hold a hard heyser, get a D, X or Z Wasp (how stable do you want?) or the new "full color" DX Flattop Roc. These discs are "slow" but are really long, I think. They are also very forgiving and easy to throw.

Then get yourself a max weight KC Aviar for the next gear down from the Roc/Wasp.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Weebl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:12 am

For midrange discs to hold a hyzer KC Rocs are rivaled by only a few others. A Predator will fill the roll of overstable driver and mid, as will others like firebirds, spirits, Monster (x mold especially). I tend to beat the crap out of my overstable discs from 60' high knife hyzers, overhand shots, skip shots and I don't think a D/X/DX/Pro would stand up to the abuse i would put it through.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:31 am

weebl.

i agree...my first * teerex got beat up fast from knife hyzers.....im sure the trees and rocks it hit didnt help but after the first month....it flew alot like a wraith....

m
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:41 pm

at sea level the glide will not flatten and fly straight unless you really wuss it.

with any kind of nuts on it it will go immediatly from flattened to turned.

as for overstable discs, there really aren't any in production at speed 7 or slower.

the last three were the pegasus, x2, and x-clone.

it shouldn't be too hard to track down x2's or x-clones.

personally, my fav of the older overstable drivers is the xtra, but i would put that at a speed of 8-9. the talon would also fit the bill as a moderately overstable driver.

your next option is to pick out a driver that is overstable because of its plastic, e.g. star teebird, champ eagle (not EL), Z cyclone, etc.

keep in mind i do push 2 types of overstable drivers.
an easy way to get both with 1 mold would be the x and z pred. for the very overstable driver, you are NOT trying to throw it straight.
Blake_T

Postby victorb » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Blake_T wrote:
as for overstable discs, there really aren't any in production at speed 7 or slower.

Blake,
What about the Whippett? That would qualify as an overstable disc, even thought it is a speed 6 right?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby alphafrolfer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:56 pm

Blake_T wrote:keep in mind i do push 2 types of overstable drivers.
an easy way to get both with 1 mold would be the x and z pred. for the very overstable driver, you are NOT trying to throw it straight.

What speed would a predator be?
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:36 pm

forgot about the whippet and viper. both are tremendously overstable and slow... rangewise the whippet is shorter than the roc.

the viper held the distance record for 5 years (1990-1995 at 630' and 640') but it is very slow by traditional standards.

the pred would be a 9.
Blake_T

Postby alphafrolfer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:12 pm

So it looks like its pretty hard to find a super overstable and a moderately overstable speed 7 driver so I think I'm just going to try the banshee and use my max weight teebird (which is fairly new so i doubt how long it will behave this way) for gentle hyzers.

also gonna check out the jls for hyzer flip.

I also got 3 new dx rocs lately and 2 oftheir tops look extremly flat, so im assuming that I have 2 "flattop rocs" and 1 "regular roc".
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:44 pm

alphafrolfer wrote:So it looks like its pretty hard to find a super overstable and a moderately overstable speed 7 driver so I think I'm just going to try the banshee and use my max weight teebird

The banshee is the same speed as a Teebird, I think. Just more overstable.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:45 pm

alphafrolfer wrote:
I also got 3 new dx rocs lately and 2 oftheir tops look extremly flat, so im assuming that I have 2 "flattop rocs" and 1 "regular roc".

My Ft Rocs are the "full color" prints. Mine have the skull logo.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby kling » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:34 am

You could check out the Millenium Exp1 as well. It's very much like a Banshee in pro plastic.
kling
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:35 am

the banshee is slightly faster than a teebird (on par with the eagle).

the exp1 is the banshee mold. back in the day millennium plastic was different than 9x/10x plastic. nowadays millennium and pro plastic are the same plastic.

btw, i don't think it's really worth throwing slow overstable drivers, as slower discs are more important when you are trying to work lines. with most overstable drivers, you aren't.
Blake_T

Next

Return to Equipment