Accelerated break-in.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Accelerated break-in.

Postby Amateur » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:17 pm

Maybe I should post this in the technique forum. And yes I did search, that guy.

I lost my favorite worn to understable X buzzz.

What I'm wondering is how should I go about thrashing my new x buzzz to the point where it will behave similarly to the lost one? I threw it and my E wiz today for 36 holes and it is nowhere near what the old one was. Elite X plastic is tough stuff. And alsoI really wanted my Z buzzz on more than a few holes today (low gentle hyzers) and I'm afraid that in my regular play (36 holes 6 times a week) I won't use the X enough to break it in to being useful again.

Ideally there are only 3 times when I'd reach for the X in a round over the Z, but the difference is a 10 foot putt vs. a 40 foot putt. I just want to remain as competitive as I have been and missing my understable mid may cost me a few feet which in turn may cost me a few strokes.

How do you guys go about just ravaging a new disc to make it behave like a much more seasoned one?
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:24 pm

if you want to speed it up I reccomend throwing some rollers, grenades and overhand stuff w/ the disc. If your course isnt buisy (mine usually isnt) you can just play your normal round, but throw the buzzz (in one of the mentioned tecniques) as a second shot on every hole.

Some people reccomend playing on asphalt, or throwing at a chain link fence, but I perfer the ground (which is alittle firm this close to the rockys ;-) )
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:46 pm

TDK had some good advice. Throw it for every shot for a few rounds, make yourself try to use it in ways you never thought possible, bigger fade - more height, rollers, knife hyzers (to expediate the breaking in), ect. Dont worry about your score on those rounds, skills > scores. (Credit to Blake)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:24 pm

yeah what he said.

I think the reason "naturally" seasoned discs are more to most peoples liking (over artifically broken in discs, I have to specify because there are ALOT of people who perfer new, tisk tisk...;-) ) is you learn the disc and know it personally when you break it in throwing it.

edit: i realize knowing a disc personally may just be me, but you can choose to know it on an individual basis if you perfer ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:26 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:yeah what he said.

I think the reason "naturally" seasoned discs are more to most peoples liking (over artifically broken in discs, I have to specify because there are ALOT of people who perfer new, tisk tisk...;-) ) is you learn the disc and know it personally when you break it in throwing it.

edit: i realize knowing a disc personally may just be me, but you can choose to know it on an individual basis if you perfer ;-)

hehe, I feel the same way. Seasoned Rocs I try out I can never seem to comfortably flatten them, turn them hyzer sweep them consistantly, they seem finicky to me. The ones I have broken in personally* I thoroughly enjoy and know quite well.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:11 am

discs broken in naturally fly more gradual than artificially broken in discs.

throw stuff that involves a lot of crashing (knifes, thumbers, etc.)
skip it across asphalt/concrete.

key is, throw it a lot.

play a few rounds where you throw it off the tee on every hole and use it for every approach and putt (in addition to a "regular" drive, putt, etc.)
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby cschwab » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:52 am

Don't just break in the new buzz. Break in a couple and rotate them. That way if one gets lost you've got another broken in one waiting at home.
cschwab
Noob

Postby Amateur » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:48 pm

The big downside to that is nobody locally sells discraft (only Innova :( )so I have to buy from online dealers or ebay. IF my Z buzzz breaks in to the point where my X buzzz is now I'll; a)shit myself, b) buy 20, or c) all of the above!

I threw another 36 just now with only the X buzzz and played another 9 with some local DGers that were nice enough to let me tag along. The disc is really coming along nicely. It's just about to where I want it. Now it will hold a right turn the whole flight and even skip to the right. It only took 81 holes of solid abuse! :twisted:

The kids that I was throwing with were wondering how I threw a mid so far (250+). I showed them the X step and different grips. After 9 holes they were all driving at least 50 feet farther. I told them that this site alone added 150 feet to my drives and consistancy to my mid/short game. I'm sure we'll hear from them soon.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby steezo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:57 pm

kardiscma to you (disc golf karma) you can't learn more until you pass on what you have learned. good job. 8)
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Return to Equipment