Lost my favorite disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lost my favorite disc

Postby tchamber » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:40 pm

I'm sure everyone's been there, but I just lost my favorite disc yesterday. She was a perfectly broken in green z-xs. She held a hyzer-flip like nobody's business, consistently giving me 325-350 ft of glorius straightness. I had her on line mobbing straight at the pin when some punk tree jumped in the way and snatched her up. I tried climbing the tree, but couldn't find her. I have other z-xs's to back her up, but they aren't broken in like she was.

So first off, here's to hoping some kind soul finds her and calls to return her.

Secondly, any suggestions on ways to break in a disc in a hurry?

Third, any suggestions for a replacement for a broken in xs? Maybe something Innova DX that will be faster to break in?

Thanks for the help and condolences.

-Travis
tchamber
Noob

Postby steezo » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:44 pm

if you have a play it again sports near bye, try them out. I always see z xs's there and they are already beat/used/etc. maybe in a day you're get a nice phone call and won't need a replacement. If you have back ups though. play a round using all thumbers-its the best way to break in a z disc quickly.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby BHW » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:09 pm

Been there done that. I recently lost my 2 favorite discs in one round. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a phone call. I've NEVER had 1 disc returned to me. Those two I lostr a few weeks ago, were lost in the "woods", not a pond. I'm sure someone eventually found them...and I'm sure I'll never see them again. I don't honestly know why I even bother writing my name and number on them anymore. I should have given up years ago. Maybe I'll start having a "finders /keepers" attitude from now on too?
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby tchamber » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:20 pm

I think I'm going to give a run at the valk or the viking.

I'd had a bad experience with a Valk in the past, but I think it was just too damn heavy for me.

2 Questions:

1. Will the valk be more liable to hyzer flip than the viking (-2 vs -1)
2. Will the low speed fade of the valk cause it to finish substantially more to the left, or will it finish as straight as the viking because the increased low speed fade has to compensate for the increased high speed turn?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's thrown these side by side on a semi-regular basis.
tchamber
Noob

Postby adidadg » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:27 pm

I am not familiar enough with any of those discs to make much of a call, but going by your description of the XS you may want to try an Orion LS.
adidadg

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Why not try an X XS?
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby tchamber » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:58 pm

I like the X XS, but sometimes on a hyzer flip it will keep turning once it flips up.

I do use the X XS on longer drives that I want to turn, because it won't turn so far as to roll unpredictably (that's right, I'm looking at you, X Xpress...)

Maybe I should try a heavier X XS???
tchamber
Noob

Postby Solty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:05 pm

depending on how long you have till something breaks in...a star sidewinder may help remedy your situation....but that would only be a bandaid fix. Getting the disc you like...and just breaking it in is the best way.

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:34 pm

tchamber wrote:I like the X XS, but sometimes on a hyzer flip it will keep turning once it flips up.

Solution: more hyzer :D
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:45 pm

1. Will the valk be more liable to hyzer flip than the viking (-2 vs -1)
2. Will the low speed fade of the valk cause it to finish substantially more to the left, or will it finish as straight as the viking because the increased low speed fade has to compensate for the increased high speed turn?

it is easier to hyzer flip a valk.

the viking and valk have similar finishes, with the valk having slightly more fade. the turn basically cancels it out.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby tchamber » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:28 am

exactly what I wanted to know, thanks Blake
tchamber
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 am

np.

a good comparison would be the valk is to the viking what the cheetah is to the gazelle.

vikings are fairly domey, but they tend to get more stable the domier they are.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

viking

Postby twmccoy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:24 pm

All the vikings I find seem to be very flat topped. Fairly good neutral driver. Wouldn't choose it over a beast though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby tchamber » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:52 am

Oh sweet mother of Jebus! Someone called me about my disc being found!

Hyzer-flip city, I'm comin' home!
tchamber
Noob

Postby Rooster » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:06 pm

I'm still waiting for that day. waiting to hear from someone that found my disc. but congrats to you on that note!
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment