Should I try a Teebird?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Should I try a Teebird?

Postby Terrence » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:45 pm

I''ve been reading through the flight chart. I currently use a 165 champ Beast as my main driver, but I know I don't have more than 325' of power, Most of my drives fall in 260-280', and I'll hit 300' sometimes when I hit with a nice finish. I noticed there's two listings for the Beast: Original and Retool. I got this beast from gottagogottathrow maybe a month ago, so I'm guessing it's the retooled version.

In the DX Skeeter thread, some folks were talking about convincing newer players to use discs that are on par with their throwing ability, and I'm wondering if using a lighter beast is just compensating for my power level. I like learning things the right way, I've helped my game immensely by playing rounds with only a Roc and a putter.

Should I switch to a driver more suited to my throwing power?
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Amateur » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Why not? It's cheaper than 1/4 tank of gas. My first long throws were with teebirds.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby didihitatree » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:09 pm

I know I've been converted. I'd already disc'ed down from the super drivers (which I was never very good with) and was back to throwing my XL a lot, but I went out and bought a bunch of teebirds last week.

I was a little worried that I'd developed too much bad technique and the whole "stable high speed and stable low speed" thing was going to result in me shanking a lot of drives too the left.

But nothing really happened. A nice, straight throw was still a nice straight throw. I had to maybe to throw it a little higher to reach max d, but maybe not even. And I could throw a bunch more different lines with it, including right hand curves.

You don't have the feeling of having to fight the disc to get it to do anything other than hard-as-you-can and low. It throws like a "natural" feeling midrange. It wants to go straight-straight-straight- then fade left a bit at the end. And then you just add what you need and it will reflect that depending upon the amount of English. With the Beast I'd sometimes I was fighting like crazy to get it to do what I want, and then when I "won" it overdid it.

I average about a +1 on my course. First round, I threw a +4. The next two, I threw a -3 and a -2, and I didn't feel like I was driving all that great that day.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby zealot » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 pm

im a huge fan. if you can throw 300 feet teebirds have a ton of accuracy
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Terrence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:06 am

Okay, thanks for the recommendations. I've cut down the number of molds used this season, hence I've gained a ton of consistency, so I'm hesitant toward adding new ones.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby zealot » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:01 am

just slow down your form a little and make sure you release a teebird flat/slightly hyzer. if you throw it with just a tiny amount of hyzer it will flip up to flat for you and go bullet style. with enough snap for over 330' however, you will pull to the right slightly if you rip it right. no worries though, it will just fade harder left. im interested to hear how much you like it.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am

lock-off wrote:just slow down your form a little and make sure you release a teebird flat/slightly hyzer. if you throw it with just a tiny amount of hyzer it will flip up to flat for you and go bullet style. with enough snap for over 330' however, you will pull to the right slightly if you rip it right. no worries though, it will just fade harder left. im interested to hear how much you like it.

Keep in mind my technique is changing and my ability to throw without wrist roll and snap is very inconsistant lately. When I could throw Teebirds 380' a new DX Teebird wouldn't turn over on me when i released it straight. If you're turning over a Teebird, even if its broken in (flipping up from 30 degrees of hyzer) and you're turning it over, something mechanically is off.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby didihitatree » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:57 pm

Yeah, I tried a few hyzer flips (not that I'm very good with them) but I could tell right away it'd be hard because they're stable right out of the hand.

But you can throw some nice, gentle anhyzer curves with them without the disc going nuts and shooting off right-to-right never to be seen again.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby zealot » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:10 pm

yeah teebirds follow any anhyzer about exactly. they're kinda good for long smooth anhyzer shots.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:17 pm

A teebird once broken in can have some high speed turn, but if it is completely flipping over it is more likely a mechanical problem, one of my birds will track to the right if I throw it with 45 degrees of hyzer or less.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:35 pm

Broken in is dependant upon each person, :P. They do hold sweeping annies though, like a broken in Tsunami
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment