DX Orc vs. Champ Orc vs. ....

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DX Orc vs. Champ Orc vs. ....

Postby Craig » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:48 pm

I had a 171 g. DX Orc that I loved. It was easily my longest disc - and it was also very accurate for me. The problem is that it took almost no time for it to turn into a roller disc.

Is the Champ Orc similar enough to make it worth buying? Is there something else I should buy that is comparable? Do I just have to keep spending on DX Orcs? or did I maybe just get a freakish disc that breaks in way to fast and too much?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 pm

the champ orc is way more HSS. it flies on a straighter path than a dx orc.

i reccomend an X avenger. i switched to that for a while when i couldn't get pro orcs anymore and the dx beat in way to fast. it flies very similiarly.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jgarcia9102 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:23 pm

Orcs break in insanely fast unfortunatly. it takes a good while before a champion orc will break in also. i got mine used, and ive had it for over a month using it quite a bit, and im just now beginning to get an S turn at 350' from flat (not that i usually throw it flat).

basically, dont get a Champ orc expecting it to fly like DX.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:57 pm

I second the x avenger in a lighter weight you perfered the dx orcs
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Orc

Postby twmccoy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:56 pm

The orc will generally outfly an avenger, especially into headwinds. Champion orcs don't quite have the glide of DX, but they are still very long. They also can last hundreds if not thousands of throws. Look for a domy champion orc and you will have a monster on your hands. The lighter weight you get the flippier the disc will be.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:15 am

The orc will generally outfly an avenger, especially into headwinds

this is only true at elevation.

at sea level the avenger has equal if not more carry than an orc. the difference is the type of flight. x avengers are more full flight gliders when allowed to be whereas champ orcs get much more high speed penetration but stable out faster.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:55 pm

Blake_T wrote:
The orc will generally outfly an avenger, especially into headwinds

this is only true at elevation.

at sea level the avenger has equal if not more carry than an orc. the difference is the type of flight. x avengers are more full flight gliders when allowed to be whereas champ orcs get much more high speed penetration but stable out faster.

and I have to disagree, I think avengers outfly orcs even at elevation. Orcs penetrate faster, but you can make the avenger work up here, takes a touch more height, but even in champ plastic orcs have too much high speed turn especially for a headwind. X Avengers especially new are a bit more stable than any orc ive thrown (and I threw orcs from when I started up until my wraith month, followed by months of avengers)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

avenger

Postby twmccoy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:44 pm

My avenger must suck or something. In every condition my orcs fly farther. Headwinds are no contest. The avenger just gets knocked down. I honestly don't see why this disc is so popular. It flies better than a teebird though. In distance comparisons vs. other discs, my avenger routinely finishes last, and I throw 400' consistently. The surge has proven to be way longer for me.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:06 am

I went out and threw a Champ sidewinder that I hadn't used in a while, and it flew very similar to my Orc when my Orc was a little beat in. Hard to say what the distance comparison would be, because there was a swirling wind.

I guess the sidewinder will beat in too much pretty soon too.
Craig
Tree Magnet

sidewinder

Postby twmccoy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:08 pm

In calm conditons, I find that a sidewinder will go as far if not farther than an orc. They fly higher and glide better. You can also turn them over on cue and get really nice S curves.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:16 am

the avenger needs more height to fly long, thrown under 15' I think the orc is longer, both thrown at about 35' the avenger is longer.

Orcs worked but I feel I hit my distance more accurately with a avenger than driver that depends on fast penetration.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Return to Equipment