molds

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

molds

Postby nick predki » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Would a champion signiture beast have a different mold than a regular champion beast??
nick predki
Noob

beast

Postby twmccoy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:47 pm

It depends. The newest champion beasts have Barry Schultz's signature, followed by 2x world champion. Those ones (for the most part) are the new mold. The beasts that say 2003 world champion are the old mold. You can feel the difference in the rim when you hold an old mold and a new mold beast.

The new mold ones are also domier and fly differently. They are more understable, much like a sidewinder.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Weebl » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:44 am

I think the new beasts are faster as well, old beasts have a more blunt nose.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby The Clergyman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:57 am

You know, aside from making it kind of fun in terms of researching your disc purchases well, I don't understand why this is done.
I mean, if you like a disc, buy a disc, learn a disc, why can't they just leave it alone? If they change it isn't that really another disc altogether?
For example, didn't the Buzzz come from a modified Wasp? Pretty sure it did.
How is the average consumer supposed to know that when they buy their new Beast it's now going to be less stable :x
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby presidio hills » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:05 am

The Clergyman wrote:How is the average consumer supposed to know that when they buy their new Beast it's now going to be less stable :x

you're totally absolutely 100% right clergyman. it's really frustrating for a serious discgolfer who DOES actually care what they're throwing, specifically.

my driver is the dx eagle, one of the reasons i love it is because it has a very predictable fade and handles headwind awsomely. this is because there is a notch at the end of the rim... what did innova do? start molding DX eagles WITHOUT the notch thus making them bad for headwinds and not as predictable... basically like a starfire-L mold, new beast mold, orc mold... can you say overlap?

(in all seriousness) i think dave must actually say "hey, let's try throwing that eagle L mold in there... you know just for kicks... haven't run that in DX before" and assumes we're all too stupid to even notice or care. i for one can't stand that they do this. wouldn't it be great to always throw the same disc? know you can more just like it if it gets lost? not buy something you didn't want to buy?
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby tchamber » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:14 pm

presidio hills wrote: wouldn't it be great to always throw the same disc? know you can more just like it if it gets lost? not buy something you didn't want to buy?

That's not even to mention the HUGE variability that innova is having in their champ line. Some are stiff, some are gummy in the same mold. Some are domey, some are flat...

I spoke to an innnova employee about this about a week ago and he said they've had some problems with variability between the day and night shift. I guess some of the shifts don't employ proper procedure for cooling or something...

Sounded like a quality control issue to me on that one.

Although I like most of the innova molds more that discrafts, I find that discrafts Z discs are much more consistent in shape amd rigidity than innova's champ line.
tchamber
Noob

Return to Equipment