Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2 new Vibram putters

Postby tim » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:10 am

bogies is dave wrote:Not sure the VP can be beat for short hyzers, and headwind putts.

I'm still trying to figure out how it stacks up to a CE Rhyno for those duties. The CE Rhyno ROCKS for those two tasks.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:15 am

Flight wise the rhyno is what I would compare it most to. Minus the thumbtrac, which is why I stopped using a rhyno years ago.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 pm

OK...

I LOVE the B's... I was approaching and putting lights out today... LOVE this disc.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby dgdave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:03 am

Did anyone else get a clear brownish one that's softer than a blowfly?

I got that along with 2 Teal Bs and a blue and swirly blue As
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Jwt4412 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:18 am

dgdave wrote:Did anyone else get a clear brownish one that's softer than a blowfly?

I got one of those... folded it up and put in my pocket... haven't thrown it. I was thinking of cutting it up into about 100 fishing lures and putting them on Ebay...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby dgdave » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:14 am

I got in about 50 putts with these yesterday. I also took my Medium Wizards. I hit more with my wiz, but I think that was just getting used to a new discs. After about 10-15 putts, the VP were going putt for putt with the wiz. One thing I noticed was that when the VP hit the chains, it just stopped and dropped. This was nice when you didn't hit the sweet spot. I didn't have any cut throughs with the VP. If they got up on edge, they liked to roll. Also, they did rather well in the wind. There was a 20 or so mph wind yesterday and I was really suprised how they performed.
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:16 am

dgdave wrote:Did anyone else get a clear brownish one that's softer than a blowfly?

Ahhh the shoe rubber ones. soooooo fun to throw around, not to golf with. Feel like the top of a baby bottle.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby disc junkie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:37 am

I was able to toss around Damson's tester this weekend. I have to say at first touch I was not impressed with the feel. That did change after awhile and I started to like the way they felt. Very interesting plend of plastic.

I will say this. The Vibrams are probably the best thrower putter I have thrown especially into headwinds. You can really nut on them and they will fly beautifully. As for putting I didnt get in too much time, but I think as of right now I prefer the Wizards for putting (that could change if I had more time with them)

I wish I could have one of these bad boys for off the tee putter shots though. Nothing in my opinion is a better driver putter than the VPs at least not for straight to overstable flights (the VP does have some really nice anhyzer potetial aslo but if yo dont throw it anny just right it will come out of it).

Overall definitely a thumbs up from me. Plus the swirly ones are beauties
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:39 pm

disc junkie wrote:I was able to toss around Damson's tester this weekend. I have to say at first touch I was not impressed with the feel. That did change after awhile and I started to like the way they felt. Very interesting plend of plastic.

I will say this. The Vibrams are probably the best thrower putter I have thrown especially into headwinds. You can really nut on them and they will fly beautifully. As for putting I didnt get in too much time, but I think as of right now I prefer the Wizards for putting (that could change if I had more time with them)

I wish I could have one of these bad boys for off the tee putter shots though. Nothing in my opinion is a better driver putter than the VPs at least not for straight to overstable flights (the VP does have some really nice anhyzer potetial aslo but if yo dont throw it anny just right it will come out of it).

Were you throwing one marked with a B or an A?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby disc junkie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:43 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:
disc junkie wrote:I was able to toss around Damson's tester this weekend. I have to say at first touch I was not impressed with the feel. That did change after awhile and I started to like the way they felt. Very interesting plend of plastic.

both...I really didnt notice the biggest of deifferences. I really lke the swirly one (it was an A...i think). HOwever, the teal with black speks were really nice also (those were B's...i think). The only one that I did not like was the solid blue one (it was an A...i think). I thought that one was crap.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby dgdave » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Got in a few rounds with these. I used these exclusively except where I needed a beat, turnover putter flight, but tried them on those lines too.

I'll echo that these are some of the nicest driving putters out there. You can rip on them and they WON'T turn over. the wind doesn't chance their flight (when new at least). The only thing it does is induce or delay the fade depending if you're going into or with the wind. The HS portion has always been straight. I think the glide is pretty decent. Not as much as a Wiz or KC Aviar, but not too far off. I primarily used the blue A for driving. Suuuwheet. Really damn accurate and they stop a couple feet from where they hit. If you toss it in the wrong direction and hit a tree, there's not a big deflection.

As for putting... I'm liking them, mainly the stiffer Bs. Not as many spit throughs. They seem to hit the chains and die. Like I said in an earlier post, if they get on edge, they like to roll. My initial impressions haven't really changed.

I'm really impressed with the durability. I played 3 very rocky courses on Monday and if I were to wash them, I think they'd look new. No nicks at all, but there are some scuffs. If I were to take my M Wizards out on these courses, they'd be chewed up. This could be good for longevity, but bad to get a nice stright/turnover driving putter.

So far, 5 rounds and 2 practice sessions in, I'm really liking them.
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:18 pm

When will these be available for purchase? From either a tester, Vibram, or someone else. I'm very interested.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby dgdave » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:54 am

It will be atleast a few months before these are available, if they are ever available. Steve is getting all the feedback from the testers after the first month then they will do any tweeking that they feel is needed.
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:39 am

disc junkie wrote:
TeamTollandDG wrote:

both...I really didnt notice the biggest of deifferences. I really lke the swirly one (it was an A...i think). HOwever, the teal with black speks were really nice also (those were B's...i think). The only one that I did not like was the solid blue one (it was an A...i think). I thought that one was crap.

If you didn't notice and differences, why the swirly one better and the blue one crap?
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Pat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:02 pm

I used the Blue "A" VP this weekend. I also carry 2 wizards (1 for putting, 1 for driving) and a beadless aviar. The VP fits the slot of overstable putter. I agree with dgdave. I dont need these to break in, I love the plastic and consistenty of the putter. It will always fade off at the end. If I need a broken-in VP, ill just grab my wizard.

It has its spot reserved in my bag for now.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment