ESP Avenger.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

ESP Avenger.

Postby Amateur » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:14 pm

Well I saw one on Ebay for $17 and had to pounce. I hope it will suit my needs as a max D/accuracy driver. I really just want a disc that will out D my teebirds by 20-30ft with similar accuracy and not get so fugged up by tree hits and road rash (I really try to aim for the fairway...). I can't locally buy a piece of Star plastic locally for less than $19 so I don't think I got ripped...

What gourmet plastic do all of you prefer between Star and ESP. I personally think Discraft's Z and X are far superior (flight not durability) to current champ and pro plastic. Also should I expect it to be as overstable (as it is rated) as the Z Avenger or should it be right between the Z and X in stability?

I'll share my findings (for what they are worth) after it arrives and I get a few trees under my belt.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby The Clergyman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:53 am

Man. You should'a checked the Buy/Trade/Sell thread here. There's lots of Avengers available ... for less than you paid.
Still, I understand the urge for new plastic whenever and wherever :lol:
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:57 am

I have an esp avenger, and I'm not sure what I think. I want to say I dont like it, but I've come close to hitting aces with it.

I still prefer my x avenger, but there holes where my esp works better. I basically replaced my z with esp, not sure if it's that big of a difference.

I still prefer Discraft x plastic over others. I suppose my next choice would be dx plastic even though i don't throw much Innova. I carry both a pro and dx wraith, haven't been able to decide between the two.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Amateur » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:05 pm

I really don't care how much a disc costs as long as it's free to play.

Sounds like if this works for me that I need a few X avengers too. It's all good. I'll just dazzle my friends with a sudden gain in distance when I get the X.

EDIT:Just checked the for sale/trade section here and only saw 1 Avenger. It was lose-me-please tye die :lol: . Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Amateur

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:06 pm

Amateur wrote:I really don't care how much a disc costs as long as it's free to play.

<golf clap>
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby zealot » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:12 pm

<claps as well>

well said. i love my star aviar. and it doesnt even scratch at all.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:35 pm

esp crush, avenger, and predator just showed up yesterday in addition to the pulse/wasp/buzzz/banger/surge.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 am

the esp avenger is good, I like my Z avengers broken in (mabey its the altitude) for my moderately overstable driver, the esp takes less work to get broken in. Its next in line if lose my fave broken in Z avenger. (New I would say a 166 g Esp Avenger flies much like a 175 x avenger new)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Amateur » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:23 pm

I like discs that get broken in quickly and stay that way for a long time. That's what happened to my star Teebird. I still seem to hit every tree on the course, so probably 1 or 2 rounds and I'll be set.

Someone on here said that they use their X step with the disc in position and they step past the disc and rip through instead of a reach back. I tried this and :idea: all my drives went straight and then abruptly to the right. With a little adjustment and a lot of practice I should be around 350+. I'm pumped as none of this came to me naturally. Really sucks it gets dark at 8 now.
Amateur

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:39 pm

you will definately have to work the ESP to have it fly "broken in" but it really will stay there a long time. I lost my only z spred today :x and played the rest of the round and 27 more holes w/ my beat esp avenger as my most overstable disc, sure there was a time or two where I said damn the pred would have been better, but the esp definately is still stable enough for most my needs.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Amateur » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 pm

Well, I got the ESP Avenger today and threw it off the tee on 30 out of 36 holes. This disc is a beast! Thrown with a slight hyzer it just goes straight and to the left. I was trying to hyzer flip it and only could if I threw with tons of nuts (or man juice as my buddy says). For max D this blows everything else I've tried away, cause I can get max D and put it where I want. If I could put an X Avenger 20 feet farther with the same accuracy... :shock:

I'm going to listen to Blake's advice and buy 10.
Amateur

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am

I'm going to listen to Blake's advice and buy 10.

wise choice if you want 10 that will fly the same out of the box.

i always look at it from a 3-5 year supply view.

3.3 a year = 3 years
2 a year = 5 years

if you keep the majority of them unthrown (especially w/ the first run stamp) they may increase in value... but theyr'e discraft, so that's less likely, but still possible.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Amateur » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm a disc golfer not a disc collector. They are all the same to me, worth less if I can't throw them.
Amateur

1st run discs

Postby twmccoy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Yeah, but look at how much 1st run buzzes sell for these days. Totally ridiculous. Those discs are only about 2 yrs old.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Amateur » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 pm

There seems to be some kind of mystique when it comes to midranges, which boggles my mind. Sure you give your Roc/buzz/shark/wasp/element/skeeter/coyote/gator/drone/demon/goblin/gremlin/comet/ whatever you swear by as your go-to-mid, more throws than any driver. But what really makes these discs worth more than their original MSRP? Is it their superior flight? Nope. Their exclusive plastic polymer blend? Nope. Some guys nut there pants over a 2001 CE Roc. In 2001 that was a $20 disc. Period. In 2001 guys threw those discs and just loved them. They weren't thinking "in 5 years this will sell for $350". They just had a great time throwing them. People who crave those vintage discs IMO are just paying for nostalgia. Back when the times were good, gas was $1.56/gallon and they remember throwing good with this one magic disc. Rant off.

Really guys is there any circumstance where you HAVE to have your first run Buzzz VS ANY OTHER BUZZZ? If there is than the problem is you and not your disc. Now run to Ebay... (Ok now rant off.)
Amateur

Next

Return to Equipment