Well, that sucked

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Well, that sucked

Postby Tanner » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Playing with my dad today, I was throwing my beast, which I threw great on the previous round.

Well, something went terribly wrong on my throw and my beast died. It went into the river, never to be seen again, maybe, but I gave up on it.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. I've never been able to throw the beast exceptionally well, but decent enough to get about 300' out of it, but it always hooked hard left. Would a champ beast do me well to get a twinge more stablity out of it, or should I look at a different disc, like a spectra?
-Tanner
Tanner
Noob

Postby zealot » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:20 pm

i threw a new teebird in a lake today... atleast it wasnt my beat teebird, can't buy those!
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Lost Beast

Postby diskgopher » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:38 pm

What kind of plastic was your beast made of?

Beasts, in my opinion, take quite a bit of power to throw well. You may be better off with a more stable disc with less low speed fade. The Roadrunner or sidewinder will give you a pretty straight flight. XL would be ok too. if you like dx you may find a light weight teebird may work, especially after some break in time.
diskgopher
Noob

Postby Tanner » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:46 pm

DX beast, 172 grams

I think I had enough power. I'm a big guy 6'3", 194lbs 10% body fat...yep, definitely a cyclist.

I can whip an archangel a decent amount. Probably 350'.

I was looking at getting a roadrunner to replace my archangel, but a sidewinder might just be next for me...
-Tanner
Tanner
Noob

Postby zealot » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:47 pm

sidewinders are amazing. flips up to flat nice and if you rip one it'll follow an anhyzer
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby calvarycoffee » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:48 am

tanner, my main driver is the flash. they fly similar to beasts. (i also throw a beast as well)

i have 300' of power as well, the flash flies great then crashes. it breaks in super slow. for me to get 300' out of it i release it flat, let in anny (long slow anny) for 250' then it'll crash left addind 50 more feet. (i guess i just described and S-curve)

I've had the flashes for 5 months, i use one of them as my main driver. the other flash is too over stable for my liking (flashes can be squirley). i use it for about 3-4 rounds a week.

2 weeks ago it got ran over (hole #6 here plays across a busy street) and seemed to fly better - more glide, same stability.

when you buy your driver (beast or flash or whatever) buy 3 or more identical and then you'll have spares. plus if you alternate playing those discs, they will all break in at the same pace. expecially when purchasing dx.

wish i had bought about 5 dx wraiths. i now use my wraith for a roller (from a 9:00 release). wraiths break in way too fast (too many trees and cars hehe). i sure miss those days.

anyway, my 2 cents on replacing your beast.
dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Terrence » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:32 am

You may want to consider a DX or Champ Valkyrie. I used a Beast as my main driver for a long time. Most of my shots wouldn't go straight for long, and then fade hard left. I tried a 166 DX Valkyrie and my distance shots are much more consistant, I can hit a nice S-curve more often.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Tanner » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Hey guys,

I just got back from throwing a crush today. And tomorrow at work we're getting a shipment of discs! So I get the pickings!

Anyways, I FINALLY learned the forehand! I love it. I can throw SUPER far and straight and slowly fade to the right with the crush, and a BEAUTIFUL s curve with the xpress....so...I think I'm aiming for something in the middle of the crush and the xpress...which I think is the flash. I'm picking up a roadrunner tomorrow and I'll keep using my boss' crush for the time being.

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll keep you posted!
-Tanner
Tanner
Noob

Postby Weebl » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 am

I wasn't able to get consistant distance out of my beast until I was driving my DX Teebirds 350'(without turning them over)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 pm

Tanner wrote:I was looking at getting a roadrunner to replace my archangel, but a sidewinder might just be next for me...
I am a fan of both discs but the Roadrunner mainly only sees use on big right turns when I want it to hold the turn all the way to the ground or close to it.

Sidewinder is a great versatile disc on the other hand. If you have a lot of snap you may want to be looking for something with a little less high speed turn and a bit more fade though.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:41 pm

i threw a new teebird in a lake today... atleast it wasnt my beat teebird, can't buy those!

I did the same thing yesterday with a champ teebird. I was playing a course for the first time and the 18th hole was an over the water hole. I was pumped because i never really played a real over the water hole. It wasn't that far but the wind was blowing pretty hard. I threw it nose up on accident and knew right away it was in. It took a huge air bounce and i thought it might have enough juice to get over but it just died and dropped in. Im in Florida so i sure as hell wasnt going in to get it with the snakes and stuff down here. I was pretty pissed cuz i only brought like 4 discs down here. Left the course pissed. Oh well i got a couple more back in NY.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:42 pm

Are you asking for a different mold replacemnent? years ago I did some disc comparisons and I found the beast to be similar to a z flash. I liked the flash better though.

I throw avengers, and I'm wondering if maybe that would be a good fit for you. I wish I had a beast so I could compare it to an avenger.

If you do try an avenger, try an x. And usually those that don't like the avenger just need to step up to a z crush.

Incidentally, when everyone else was throwing orcs, I was throwing a crush. When others were throwing beasts, I was using an orc. I believe they are comparable.

Now I mainly throw cylones, avengers, the occasional wraith, and my mids.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Tanner » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:01 pm

Well, after some purchasing...I bought an ESP surge...

It's like my beast but slightly shorter and a hell of a lot more durable.

I also picked up the roadrunner and that thing can FLY. It s-curves predictably and nicely.
-Tanner
Tanner
Noob

Return to Equipment