looking for a good S-curve disk and a sidearm disk

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

looking for a good S-curve disk and a sidearm disk

Postby eg37167 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:33 am

I searched the boards and checked the FAQs but did not find a good answer on this. I am in the market for a good S-curve disk and a great sidearm shot disc.

I am just now experimenting with adding in some sidearm after a long stint in RHBH disc minimalism (after the obligatory 6 month disc hoarding phase). I tend to throw lots of Wizards now and an element-X for longer drives. I have used the element-X with varying degrees of success on sidearm shots. So, can I get some recommendations on a good disc for sidearm?

Also, I have followed the threads on S-curve for max D with interest. What would be a good disc for that?
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby deaddisc » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am

Sidearm- Z-flick, Champion Firebird, Monster, Z-Extreme, Star Wraith, and if less powerful maybe a Champion Starfire.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:31 am

I've been a sidearm thrower since I started, and even though I mainly use backhand (accuracy issues w/ sidearm), I still carry an Orc when I need to rip off a big drive. I also use an elementX and use it when I need a utility sidearm shot, and use my teebird for slightly longer utility shots.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby BHW » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:34 am

I've been playing off and on for years. Playing more frequently this year. I've gone through dozens of discs in the past several months. But I've narrowed down what I carrry in my bag. For me, the best s-curve disc I have right now is a Champion RoadRunner...around 169g. But a Pro-Starfire does a big s-curve for me as well. I've been learning to throw sidearm recently, and have my best throws with a Champion Beast or Sidewinder. Good luck.

No performance guaranteed, results will vary, consult your physician before starting a new disc buying program.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 am

s-curve = anything stable to overstable thrown anhyzer, anything understable thrown flat to slight hyzer.

match for power level.

as for sidearm... if you want straight w/ predictable fade:
champ/star starfire
z avenger
x predator
pro firebird (FL)
x reaper
d venom

if you want to learn how to throw with finesse:
dx gazelle
d cyclone
dx eagle
dx teebird
polaris ls
jls
z xs
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:32 pm

It doesn't really need to be said, but I agree with Blake. I use X & Z Predators for sidearms thrown with anhyzer that flex out at the end. I like slightly used dx TeeBirds for flip hyzer and flattened hyzer shots. They aren't mentioned in Blake's list but beat in Wasps are beautiful sidearm discs. Throw'em with lots of hyzer and they start flipping like mad but then stop flipping right at flat. I'm not sure exactly how that happens but I love to see it.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby deaddisc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:09 am

Also for midrange sidearms, a flat-top roc is beautiful and predictable.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:27 am

wasps and rocs are more difficult to throw sidearm than smaller diameter mids such as an mrv (probably best for this), gator, and spiders.

this is due to the fact that diameter increases require exponential increases in force to get them spinning.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby dflaschiii » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:29 pm

I agree the Roc's main weakness is that it is tough to throw sidearm. However, the Pro or Champ Classic Roc is servicable.

I've been carrying a Champ Firebird for awhile as my main sidearm disc. A Champ Teebird is also very nice. I don't know why, but I've found Champ plastic especially condusive to sidearm tosses, possibly because I never throw sidearm for distance, it's only for certain lines, so I prefer a really stable disc that won't glide too much.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Return to Equipment