Orion Sirrus LS

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Orion Sirrus LS

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:13 pm

So, as I explained on the other thread, I got me a disc golf gift certificate for my birthday (sweet). So, I bought another disc.

I saw a lot of talk about the new Star type Millennium Orions, so I grabbed a "long straight". It looked to be a tweaked Sidewinder to me, which is what I was looking for.

So far, it is a very good disc. Almost as long as a TeeRex, more overstable than a max weight Sidewinder, not as stable as TeeRex, and predictable and not a pain in the ass to throw. It reminds me of newish DX Teebird, but less touchy and longer.

The smaller rim is little easier to handle than the TeeRex, and throws are long without the tremendous snap required on the TeeRex. It will however take a bit more snap than a Sidewinder without turning. Good compromise.

The TeeRex, however, is still the boss of the bag right now.

I hear the LF is more like a TeeRex/Predator. I may have to take the rest of my credit and get one.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Orion Sirrus LS

Postby Eric O » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:38 pm

Bradley Walker wrote: It looked to be a tweaked Sidewinder to me, which is what I was looking for.
I have one in the regular (pro) plastic. I always thought of it as closer to a Valkyrie, but the bottom rim has a little bit flatter wedge. Kind of like a Sidewinder. :wink:

I like the disc but not as much as I like star Valks which I am now throwing instead.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Eric O wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote: It looked to be a tweaked Sidewinder to me, which is what I was looking for.
I have one in the regular (pro) plastic. I always thought of it as closer to a Valkyrie, but the bottom rim has a little bit flatter wedge. Kind of like a Sidewinder. :wink:

I like the disc but not as much as I like star Valks which I am now throwing instead.

They are all close siblings as long as you stay in the same plastic, I guess. A Valk and a Sidewinder behave similarly.

I would guess this disc would be hyper flippy in Pro. The Star plastic has a definite "calming effect" on the turnover. However, it does not seem to kill the glide real bad. My 170 Sidewinder has AMAZING glide and speed. It is great finesse driver.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:23 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
more overstable than a max weight Sidewinder, not as stable as TeeRex,

wouldnt 75% of the discs ever made fall into this category?

I havent gotten to throw any of the orion molds yet, I think I would love a OLF, (SOLF w/ o the S ;-) )
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:33 am

/agree

reminds me of the 2001 worlds fly mart when they had proto reapers and i asked what they flew like. the response from the discraft reps: it's somewhere between an xpress and an xtra.

the orion LS is a tweaked starfire-L.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:15 am

Blake_T wrote:

/agree

reminds me of the 2001 worlds fly mart when they had proto reapers and i asked what they flew like. the response from the discraft reps: it's somewhere between an xpress and an xtra.

the orion LS is a tweaked starfire-L.

I had no idea I was be so vague, but then again maybe you are making a good point.

A Star Sidewinder is not flippy at all in the grand scheme of things. Certainly in comparison to anything in DX. I play with guys who cannot flip my max weight Sidewinder into a headwind and they throw nearly 400' in occassion. I would put my Star Sidewinder side by side with a DX Teebird (especially one that has hit a few trees) for flipping, or a Cyclone or many of the other "benchmark" discs mentioned on this forum. Throw a little nose up and the thing might not ever turn not matter how much gas you throw to it.

Certainly using benchmark discs in D and DX plstics I would still say a Star version of any disc moves it substantianly up the stability chart. This allows going to more "high glide" and "faster" molds.

If the Orion is a tweaked Starfire L, then the Starfire L is a tweaked Sidewinder... I guess my point is that there are only minor differences in many of these discs.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Rooster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:29 am

the one i found (used) few like a new pro orc but just a touch more flippy.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:32 am

the original starfire mold was released in 2003 as CFR. it was retooled in 2004 as CFR before the pro SL was released as standard production in 2005. there were CFR SL's available mid 2004.

the sidewinder was released in late 2004.

based on chronology it is more likely the sidewinder is based somewhat on the SL, but the sidewinder, based on its rim contours, most likely stems from the valkyrie/viking line.

the retooled beast most likely stems from the SL.
Blake_T

Postby adidadg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:53 am

Bradley Walker wrote:I hear the LF is more like a TeeRex/Predator. I may have to take the rest of my credit and get one.

I am loving the LF, but as a word of warning it is not as stable as the Pred or Tee Rex. I think its a little misleading to call it a "fade" driver, it might be more between a teebird or avenger in terms of stability. Not trying discourage you from buying it (you should, it is my favourite driver) but just a heads up.
adidadg

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:35 am

adidadg wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:I hear the LF is more like a TeeRex/Predator. I may have to take the rest of my credit and get one.

I am loving the LF, but as a word of warning it is not as stable as the Pred or Tee Rex. I think its a little misleading to call it a "fade" driver, it might be more between a teebird or avenger in terms of stability. Not trying discourage you from buying it (you should, it is my favourite driver) but just a heads up.

The point was to find a disc that was slightly LESS stable than a Star TeeRex.

The TeeRex is a bad mother, and I consisently throw my longest throws with accuracy with this disc... but I do have to rip snap the crap out of it (or I think I do) and it is not a "finesse" tool. It is hard to get up to speed when I am tired, as I am getting old...

I also admit that I much prefer the slightly smaller rim of the LS and Sidewinder.

What I want is an overstable compliment to the Sidewinder with the same rim configuration. The SoLS is a good one and I am in general happy with it. The next step might be the SoLF.

What is Innova's SoLF?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:02 am

what is innovas SOLF?

I was accually going to ask blake if the solf was similer to the starfire-X mold so that would be my geuss
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby adidadg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
adidadg wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:
What I want is an overstable compliment to the Sidewinder with the same rim configuration. The SoLS is a good one and I am in general happy with it. The next step might be the SoLF.

Then IMO youre right, the Solf should be just what youre looking for. It does not require as much power as the TeeRex or a Wraith to fly just as far, and as you mentioned it has the smaller rim which is a plus for me as well.
adidadg

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:22 pm

I think its a little misleading to call it a "fade" driver

heh. if you ever threw the version 2.x of the polaris LF, it would be less of a surprise. the polaris lf was basically about the stability of a gazelle but with cheetah-like fade... it wasn't stable enough to hold into a headwind greater than 10-12 mph.

on the flipside, the tachylon lf 4.1's were one of the most overstable discs ever made (modified viper).

the SOLF is related to the starfire x, but is probably closer to the original mold eagle.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:48 pm

that almost sounds better than if it were a starfirex, do they have any plans to make it in the reg plastic? or is this just going to be a premium deals?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 am

I like the solf and use it in many max distance situations, but it doesnt seem anywhere near as overstable as a teerex (which I dont have the power really throw) or even a wraith.

The orion y'all are discussing reminds me of my polaris though I don't have either right now.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment