Star Aviar

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:26 pm

rehder wrote:I have started to turn my clones over (unless thrown with lots of hyser) and was wondering if I should progress to DX Teebirds or stick with Cyclones. Truth be told I have a newish cyclone that only turns over a little bit when thrown. But Im afraid it is going to go the same way as the other two cyclones as soon as I use it some more.

So am I ready for Teebirds?
The other solution, aside from stepping up in weight, is to simply put more hyser on the disc when you throw. Looks like you are onto that one already. :D
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:10 pm

Stepping up in weight is not really an option since im already throwing ~174's. The reason Im asking is that I found a beast in a pond and gave it a try before I met the owner. And it flew farther than my clones. I think it was a DX version, but Im not sure how long it had been in the pond. But I think it was just worn in, it didnt look very beat. When I threw it flat it would drift just a little bit to the right and then fall left at the end of its flight. Now I know that everybody wants more distance, but on my homecourse its especially important since the avg. distance per hole is 433 feet.

I dont mind playing with baseline plastic or premium. The clone in X, just hasnt gotten as good reviews in premium compared to a lot of other discs.
Last edited by rehder on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Ah. Well no surprise that you are throwing a Beast further than your Cyclones. This seems to be a different subject than whether or not you are better of switching from Clones to TBirds.

Sounds like what you may want is a max D disc to complement your Clones. Browsing through DGR you should be able to come up with lots of info to make an informed chioce as to what that might be.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:57 pm

if you are turning cyclones over...you may want to look at your form. I usta turn everything over because i was throwing off axis. ..Just an idea..
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:14 pm

You are a good guy, Blake. I like you!!!

:D

i can say bradley that you are one of my favorite posters.

your back room idea amuses me. it's so hard to sell newer players on throwing slow, easy to control plastic while telling them the $50 they spent on tie dyed champ orcs would have better spent on pop rocks.

but I do not practice NOT throwing hard...I always threw hard, but times are changing!!!

finishing hard is key, but it doesn't mean you have to be 100% the whole time. being 50% during the pull and 95% at the rip will still feel like you are throwing hard, but have finesse.

but how do you tell somebody that without hurting their feelings?

hit em with the bus and take em to the hospital. it beats slowly bleeding to death on the sidewalk.

I honsetly don't think Teebirds are nearly as beginner friendly as some people on this board seem to indicate.

i've never said they were easy to throw. the two things i will say about them:
1) they are the straightest driver on the planet you can put any nuts on.
2) if you learn to throw a teebird well, you can throw anything well.

Truth be told I have a newish cyclone that only turns over a little bit when thrown. But Im afraid it is going to go the same way as the other two cyclones as soon as I use it some more.

they will eventually become that. throwing teebirds is one option. the other option is to buy more cyclones.[/quote]
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby rehder » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:23 am

I hear what you guys are saying. I think Im going to keep my cyclones but add some DX Teebirds, especially for reason number 2. And as far as I understand DX is a little more durable than Pro-D? Which would be nice too
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:38 am

as far as durability of plastic is conserned, dx tacos gets knicks and scrapes worse, pro d tacos worse, however pro d can be bent back into shape easier than dx (probably for the same reason it tacos easier) dx is longer (although theres no real way to tell because theres no disc in dx and pro d ;-) )
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby rehder » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:07 am

@mikesolt

I have thought about that issue, but Im not sure if that is the problem. Since Im only turning over cyclones and discs that are more understable than them. I have an avengerX I use for windy days, forehand and some hyzers, and I dont turn it over. And I just dont have the swing to throw the avenger for max D. I can throw i straight, it just doesnt end up going very far far backhanded (~270)

So thats one of the reasons that I want to get a TB and the other being the learning aspect of it.
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:21 am

Blake T Said:
your back room idea amuses me. it's so hard to sell newer players on throwing slow, easy to control plastic while telling them the $50 they spent on tie dyed champ orcs would have better spent on pop rocks.

I have some wraiths I would trade for pop rocks, love those things!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:28 am

rehder wrote:@mikesolt

I have thought about that issue, but Im not sure if that is the problem. Since Im only turning over cyclones and discs that are more understable than them. I have an avengerX I use for windy days, forehand and some hyzers, and I dont turn it over. And I just dont have the swing to throw the avenger for max D. I can throw i straight, it just doesnt end up going very far far backhanded (~270)

So thats one of the reasons that I want to get a TB and the other being the learning aspect of it.

If you are throwing your cyclones straight up to 270, you may have trouble keeping a teebird straight for any distances longer. Teebirds are longer and straighter the older they get, but still need more power behind them than cyclones to fly that way (however they are easier to throw straight)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby rehder » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:29 am

No that was the avenger I was reffering to. The cyclones go right. It is very hard to find the correct amount of hyzer for the clones to keep em straight.
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 am

I see that, lol, i just usually dont think of avengers as straight I geuss, they are more a distane line (s-curve) or overstable, or understable... lol, I use em for everything but straight which is why...
I still dont see throwing a teebird ever hurting, once they break in they are not hard to throw (I personally dont like them the first week or two...)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby zealot » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:14 am

lol @ gabe

btw gabe, that pro wraith i grabbed off of you is flying like 400' for me :D
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Glock23 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:08 am

I have 3 more if you want to trade some stuff. They are all white and like 171-172g. I don't remember the stamp color off the top of my head though. I still need to drive to quanset to pick up some t-birds, but I have been way to busy with the house.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:12 am

Blake_T wrote:
You are a good guy, Blake. I like you!!!

:D

i can say bradley that you are one of my favorite posters.

[
[/quote]

Tie dye might as well be camoflage...
Hey!!! That's a great idea!!! Make all discs in camoflage, sales would triple!!!

"Soap. Rinse. Repeat."
(adding "repeat" doubled sales the first year)

One suggestion I will make for newer players. Help speed up play:

1. STICK TO NEON DISCS if at all possible!!!
2. Avoid any DARK GREEN discs.
3. Avoid any CLEAR discs.
4. Sadly, avoid the purple Tye Dye too (old bright pink tie dye Cyclones show up well however)
5. Black looks cool, but is just a serious pain in the ass and will ultimately slow your round looking for it every time you throw it (Tourney black Cyclones smoke BTW).
6. Red is the next worst for visibility, especially when it is near dark.
7. Best colors for visibility are lime green, pink, orange, yellow, and white.

When you go in the drink, those colors can make all the difference. My bud Jack had a JLS that was GREEN WITH BLUE TIE DYE!!! You could nearly step on the thing in the fairway and never see it. When it went in the creek, I said , "Bye Bye".
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment