DX valk - effect of weight

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Sokpuppet » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:40 am

adamschneider wrote:And if it's true that "thick air requires twice the hyzer as moderate air," well, remember that humid air is thinner than dry air.

This is not the case. It's a question of viscosity. Wave your hand through the air in front of your face. Now go make the same motion with your hand in a sinkfull of water. Water resists the motion a lot more. The same principle applies to a disc in flight.
This can be observed by going out and playing in the rain. You'll find yourself flipping the bejesus out of things which, in dry weather, have a stable or overstable flight.
Sokpuppet
Noob

Postby adamschneider » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:47 pm

Yes, I know that common sense would dictate that humid air would be thicker or "more viscous," but I'm afraid it isn't. A given volume of air holds the same number of molecules regardless of WHICH molecules it contains, and water molecules are lighter than ordinary air molecules (nitrogen or oxygen).

If you need proof: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wdensity.htm
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby adamschneider » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:lower elevation will generally cause a less stable flight.

Whoops, that's what I meant; I edited my post. :) (Changed "overstably" to "understably.")
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Sokpuppet » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:30 pm

Viscosity is independant of pressure (air density, in this context). A cubic meter of air which is composed of 10% water molecules is going to be less viscous than a cubic meter of air which is composed of 40% water molecules, regardless of their relative air density.

The confusion you're experiencing is probably due to the ambiguous use of "thick" and "thin". :)
Sokpuppet
Noob

Postby adamschneider » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:49 pm

Assuming humid air IS more viscous, I'd think that it's going to be at least somewhat canceled out by the lower density.

On-line calculator here: http://www.h4-engineering.de/e_OnlineHumidCalc.html (of course, it says nothing about the degree to which each factor will affect the flight of a golf disc!)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Equipment