Must have drivers?!!?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Must have drivers?!!?

Postby GetMuddy350 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:06 am

Okay guys and girls, a lil backgound to my bag:

z Surge: Max D, Experimental driver, wanted to try something different...Lost it.

Pro Wraith 175: Max D, Headwind, hyzer bombs...Go to driver in most cases.

Star Sidewinder 175: Tailwind, turnover shots, Big annybombs.

Pro Starfire 168: Hyzer flip, annybombs, replaced my sidewinder when I lost it.

Champ Starfire 175: This thing is a pig.. Wayy overstable out of the box, great in headwind.

Dx Wraith 150: Wanted to try something different. Tailwind hyzer bombs, huge headwind hyzer flips. Controlled hyzer shots @300'. New goto driver.

Lost all of my drivers except the pro starfire and 150 wraith, looking to pick up some new ones, really want to complete my bag. Open field D is around 375' (legit) golf D is around 300'.

My needs: Straight driver, Max D, Headwind driver. Any siggestions would rock! Thanks in advance!
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Rooster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:10 am

Straight Driver: Elite X Tracker
Max D: Elite X Avenger
Headwind: Elite Z Predator
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:12 am

I would suggest slowing down, picking up a cyclone or gazelle for your straight/controlled drives, and something along the lines of a valkarie or if you really want the faster driver a pro starfire or x avenger (w/ the latter having more stability) for distance. You probably arent throwing hard enough to throw the wraith further than a valk or anything, you could probably throw a valk further, and definately get more consistant distance.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby superq » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:30 am

My initial reaction of course is to steer people to try Gateway plastic, in your case (300 Golf D) that is probally not your best option, I would go with:

Tee- Bird/ Z Pred - for max D headwind disc
Valk/sidewinder / flash crush - flat out bombers
element X - everything else but Putting? - thats what wizards are for.

If you have the chance you might try the odesy distance driver, with your distance I am guessing you have a little slower arm and that may be the ticket for you.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby GetMuddy350 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:35 am

The wraith has been my most consistant D driver thus far. I put it 30-40' further than my other dirvers with a good throw. The 350'-375' number is average. At the local football field I was able to throw all of my drivers at least from the back of one endzone past the back of the other endzone in a head and tail wind. I've been experimenting with lighter weight discs and this is really helping my d, but is hurting my accuracy.

I do love the pro starfire, but after only a few weeks and a couple trees it is starting to become very flippy. I need to put it on a high hyzer line to get it to flip flat and not just roll over.

I've never thrown a Valk, so i'm curious as to how it handles the wind. The course I play most is very open and the wind can be a HUGE factor. Maybe a star Valk would handle a bit better?

Any suggestions on a disc I can throw into a headwind and stay flat? Tee-bird? Firebird? Rex? There is one hole I really need this disc for..Its 300' even uphill, normally has a strong headwind, and the whole right side is OB. I'd like a disc I can hug the right side with and have a predictable late fade, with no high speed turn.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby GetMuddy350 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:39 am

I think a big reason my Golf D is so short is due to the fact that I play on a VERY open course. My Golf D on my home course is my MAX D. I have a VERY hard time in the woods (we have some VERY heavily wooded courses up here in Maine) so I really need to take a lot off my drives to hit the windows I need.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby zealot » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:04 pm

teebirds
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

drivers

Postby twmccoy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:51 pm

If you want a fast disc that will stay flat in heavy headwinds, try a star starfire (not SL). This disc is very overstable and has good penetration and glide. I'd also look at a champion orc. That, along with your wraith and Pro starfire would be a good bunch of drivers.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm

z pred is not max d In a headwind, something like a starstarfire or a crush is, Z pred is most predictable in a headwind (really is most predictable in any wind)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:25 pm

The tone of the advice on this thread seems a bit odd to me.

A guy posts he can throw 375' D w/ 300' Course D and he is getting advice like he has a slow or weak arm?

I just find that amazing.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Rooster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:43 pm

agreed Jwt. that wy i gave him the faster drivers. i think alot of people on here are hooked on tb's and will recomened them to anyone even pros(if pros ever needed to ask for disc advice). 375 max d and 300 golf d he can throw avengers and wraiths just fine. recomened him disc in his range. yes he can throw a teebird and im not saying he shouldnt but i am saying not everyone on this earth needs to be throwing teebirds.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:48 pm

I still think a wraith is not much use to people who cant throw 375 consistantly, while a starfire or avenger is great for people who can throw over 325'.

I reccomended slower discs for control since he didnt have a disc that was very good for control. And after he mentioned needing to take off alot to hit windows, control drivers are perfect for this.

I did think his max d of 375 was open field no target (for instance i never really break 420 on the course but my longest drives are about 480')
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:32 pm

I would recommend the D Cyclone and the DX Eagle if you are still losing a lot of discs.

I personally like the DX Eagle better than a DX T-Bird for 300' power throwers. It is a bit less high speed stable and I think it is a bit less nose sensitive. Try to find a 165 gram DX Eagle , for bombs. The Cyclone is just easier to throw IMHO than a T-Bird.

Another disc that is very impressive for 300' power throwers is the X Express. Beats into a great turnover driver. I have seen some very tasty off speed finesse throws with an Express.

For headwinds and knife heysers the DX Banshee, D-Reaper and X Predator are all excellent. The X-Pred is also a great disc to "grow into" as you really start to snap the crap out of it because it has a lot of speed.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:44 pm

TDK,

Don't get me wrong... I throw Roadrunners, Gazelles, Leopards and Banshees for a reason... I am pleased when I am throwing 280 to 310... I just think 300 to 375 is pretty impressive.

But hey, that's me...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

drivers

Postby twmccoy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:02 pm

I personally would only recommend an eagle or cyclone to a beginner. They are very neutral lackluster discs that won't really work for max distance. Anyone with 400' power should be able to handle a wraith without difficulty. Here is a list of my favorite drivers, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

1) Champ. Orc
2) Star/pro wraith (longest thing out there right now)
3) Z flash
4) Champ. Beast
5) Champ and pro starfire (pro is flippier and way longer)
6) X avenger (I don't really like it but I see its potential)
7) Z crush (Varies widely in stability from disc to disc)
8) Surge
9) Champ valkyrie (good predictable flippy distance)
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Equipment