Must have drivers?!!?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:TDK,

Don't get me wrong... I throw Roadrunners, Gazelles, Leopards and Banshees for a reason... I am pleased when I am throwing 280 to 310... I just think 300 to 375 is pretty impressive.

But hey, that's me...

I agree it is definately not something to be bashfull about (I have people who only throw 325 beat me on a regular basis ;-) )

I second that a dx eagle makes a great driver for just about any power level, I remember throwing MASSIVE hyzerflips w/ a 150 class dx eagle, really they just looked huge, getting about 80' left right at over 50' of height, but only traveling 400' forward ;-). they are great for control, and are easier to flip up than a teebird.

get muddy, knowing you used the pro starfire as a turnover driver, I am geussing it was alittle worn, I would reccomend the avenger over the starfire, thinking the avenger is more stable than the starfire and may be one of your best choices for max d.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby GetMuddy350 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:11 am

You are correct in assuming 360-375' is open field d, as the main course I play at is wide open. That being said, I didn't lose my discs because I can't hit a fairway....Two were lost teaching a friend how to throw, another was lost taking a warm up drive back down a fairway, simply dissapeared..And two were lost overthrowing the same stupid 300' hole with a cliff behind the basket.

I am interested in a driver I can throw straight down a fiarway, with little to no fade. Maybe a TL?? I hear this is a great disc. I do need an overstable pig, my new Champ Starfire was that for me, maybe I should try an Orc?? But if I remember the orc wasn't nearly as HSS... I've always liked the lip on that disc though. My thoughts, tell me if i'm a mile off on what would work for someone with my D:

Light headwind, Big Hyzers: Champ ORC 168-170

Turnover, Tailwind, Max D, lots of room to work: "Broken" Pro Starfire 168

Tailwind, light hyzer, Max D: 150 dx wraith.

Straight lines, trees: Star TL 168-170

Everything else but putting: Z Wasp and DX Rocs.

What is the Avenger's purpose....I know a couple people who throw them and absolutley love them, though i've never thrown it. Seems like something I could learn to love.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Rooster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:04 am

the avenger is a max D disc. i really like this disc as its not very prone to turnover(it does S out a lil but nothing major). i find this disc to be dead staight with a predictable fade at the end out to 365'. i can't thorw much further than that but all my throws with it have been nearly lazer straight.(mind you this is with a slight hyzer flip maybe 15 degrees). it's like a beefier tracker.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GetMuddy350 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:08 am

As i'm not very familiar with Discraft, which plastic should I be throwing with an Avenger. If i'm using it to replace my Wraiths in a open field shot i'd like something thats not just going to be an overstable pig for me.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Rooster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 am

Elite X. its the only one that is a 1.7 Z and ESP are all 1.8 and very overstable.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

play smart, keep it simple, throw millenium

Postby RustyP » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 am

Two Words + Two Letters:

Sirius Orion LF

Speed of the Wraith without the wide rim = hella control and D

:x <--me before the LF
:shock: <--me watching the LF fly
:D <-- me happy about buying the LF
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby GetMuddy350 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:41 am

Perfect, thanks for the help.

I just don't want to get stuck in a rut buying the same discs over and over when I really haven't tried that many. I want to find what discs suit me and my game the best.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Rooster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:44 am

theres only one thing i don't like about the avenger, the sharp lip. hold one in your hand and you'll see what im talking about. that is this discs only downfall.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:02 am

Seem like a solid player.

Straight driver:

cyclone or x avenger (maybe even a tracker)

headwind:

z predator all the way

Max range:

I'm using a pro wraith which would probably work great for you. You may want to try a tee rex.

Have you tried a solf? Sounds like you have decent power to me, unless you are looking at making a living or going pro, you have enough D to compete with anyone I know.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:34 am

I would say pick up the
x avenger for the max d you were looking for (requires alittle more height than a wraith but you will find a new level of control, that and the disc is easier to throw)

Z avenger to compliment the x, will fly similar to your champ starfire

and if you want straight, I reccomend a broken in dx teebird over a tl, the tl will get flippy as it ages, while the dx teebird will get straighter

I would not reccomend the champ orc for headwinds, it really isnt a overstable disc, it just fast enough alot of people cant power it, until they throw it into the wind and watch it fly like a paper plate.

that and if you need something more overstable than a Z avenger a Z pred is perfect, and is also a similar mold/feel as the z avenger.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby GetMuddy350 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:41 am

The SOLF is a great disc, I have thrown it once...And really ripped it. That may be the next disc I buy along with a couple of avengers and a TL or two for the trees.

I think i've got the bag figured out.
GetMuddy350
Noob

avenger

Postby twmccoy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:01 am

Rooster wrote:theres only one thing i don't like about the avenger, the sharp lip. hold one in your hand and you'll see what im talking about. that is this discs only downfall.

Agreed. This lip will cut your finger if you throw the avenger enough. Otherwise it is a decent driver.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:11 pm

the lip was worse on first runs and on Z avengers, you get used to it after a week of it being your main d driver, accually gives me a more consistant rip, and is now more comfortable than smooth rim drivers (wraiths, beasts, flash ect) which are not as stable beacause they have no stabilizers.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby GetMuddy350 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:17 pm

As i've stated, i've been throwing wraiths for a while now, and for the most part they ahve a nice smooth lip, however, the 150 DX does have a pretty sharp lip for a wraith. It's never cut me though as it doesn't weigh anything.
GetMuddy350
Noob

edge

Postby twmccoy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:45 pm

The star discs also seem to have a nasty edge on the bottom. I took a nail file to a couple of them to make the edge smoother.

BTW, I still outdrive the avenger with just about every other long driver out there. For me it just does not fly far.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment